Thai Floods Toll Jumps To 32

webfact

It's an act of nature; how could the Thai government have mitigated against it? What are you suggesting they should have done, ask god to turn the tap off?!

I think you'll find theyre 95% Buddhists 5% others so he would only have saved 5% at most.

I think you'll find that all religions will agree that there is only one God. Just different religious interpretations.

Around 4,000 million cubic metres (a million gallons) of water per second is expected to flow into the capital's Chao Phraya river, which coupled with high sea levels surging from the other direction, could cause floods in parts of the city.

This semed alot of water to me too. I tried to work out how many kilometers long &how many meters high this wall of water decending on Bangkok is but got lost in culculations. But it seems 1 cubic meter = 264 us gallons or 219 uk gallons ( nearest round figure ) So 1 million (us gallons ) = 3784 cubic meters of water. not as stated 4000 million. Is sombody´s math worse than mine. I know somebody´s will be better and who will be able to make gallon or cubic meter out of all of this.!!!!!!

Ever heard of building DIKES ?

In the Netherlands we started a 1200 years ago with it. Since then improved and improved and constructed over 17,000 km of dikes. In Jan 1995 the rivers came at much higher levels as ever expected. Over an area of 60 km wide and 150 km long over 250,000 people, their lifestock and everything else they want to move, had to be evacuated in just days. 30 juni 2000 problem was solved by increasing all dikes along 4 big rivers ( Rhine, Waal, Maas and IJssel) till some places 16 mtr higher as normal water level.

For the Thais: as so many things: to stupid and too lazy. What can you expect from a nation, which sells their votes for a 20-100 baht to any croock, who wants to plunder the country? From a government, who even shoot-to-kill on a protesting crowd ?

Wow, another Thai hater on Thai Visa. Where do they all come from?

Yes, we have heard of DIKES. But we thought they were only for really tall, arrogant, white Euro pricks.

Thailand has large networks of dams, levees, dikes and irrigation systems. Ever heard of "Monkey Cheeks" ?

Thailand can teach a lot to the Neverlands (never stupid and never lazy ?) about flood control AND graciousness. Do some research. Get your thumb out of your ... (dike?)

-NG

"We advise people to move their possessions to higher ground and constantly monitor official announcements," said Irrigation Department spokesman Boonsanong Suchartpong.

What novel advice.

We, the government advise you guys to, uh, er, um, go to a spot AWAY FROM THE WATER.

Thats like advising the Somali's to go somewhere with less crime and more food...

In the Netherlands we started a 1200 years ago with it. Since then improved and improved and constructed over 17,000 km of dikes. In Jan 1995 the rivers came at much higher levels as ever expected. Over an area of 60 km wide and 150 km long over 250,000 people, their lifestock and everything else they want to move, had to be evacuated in just days. 30 juni 2000 problem was solved by increasing all dikes along 4 big rivers ( Rhine, Waal, Maas and IJssel) till some places 16 mtr higher as normal water level.

For the Thais: as so many things: to stupid and too lazy. What can you expect from a nation, which sells their votes for a 20-100 baht to any croock, who wants to plunder the country? From a government, who even shoot-to-kill on a protesting crowd ?

Yes, we have heard of DIKES. But we thought they were only for really tall, arrogant, white Euro pricks.

Thailand has large networks of dams, levees, dikes and irrigation systems. Ever heard of "Monkey Cheeks" ?

Thailand can teach a lot to the Neverlands (never stupid and never lazy ?) about flood control AND graciousness. Do some research. Get your thumb out of your ... (dike?)

-NG

Agreed, NG. Its not the time for hateful speech here. There are people displaced and lives lost. Time to be more compassionate.

It's an act of nature; how could the Thai government have mitigated against it? What are you suggesting they should have done, ask god to turn the tap off?!

that's what they said in New Orleans. You need to be proactive not reactive. Once again the rich scoff while the poor suffer. Is there such a thing as charity in Thailand??

I think you'll find theyre 95% Buddhists 5% others so he would only have saved 5% at most.

Two years ago I have been told from American Scientists about the water will travel from the North to the South...especially to the developing countries...Thailand also one of them....

I spoke with several relatives and friends. No one paid attention except my second sister who bought high ground properties in towns. She gave the site for me in case I want to retire in Thailand.

But, Governments in the developing countries do not have Money to take care all the business due to Corruption and domestic problems....look at Haiti as an example..it is so obvious......

The poor is the one who pays the price and the Middle class like you and I will pay Most of the Taxes while 2% of the rich pay nothing except looking good....example as such America.....

Now we have to push the legislators for the new Prevention and flood bills.....Fa rang can do and believe me anything is possible...my take and I am standing tall.

My heart and Soul go with the families...sorry....for your loss.....

You sir are perpetuating a myth. You imply that in America the rich do not pay their fare share of taxes when in fact the opposite is true. The latest data show that the largest portion of the federal income tax burden is paid by a small group of the very richest Americans. The wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn 19 per­cent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax. The top 10 percent pay 68 percent of the tab. Meanwhile, the bottom 50 percent—those below the median income level—now earn 13 percent of the income but pay just 3 percent of the taxes. The other thing you need to ask yourself is, "Have you ever gotten a job from a poor person?" Who do you think creates jobs or wealth? The rich or the poor? You need to stop demonizing the rich as they are just people like you or me, perhaps once not rich at all, but people who had an idea or a concept and who were willing to work hard and risk all their capital to create a product or service and to subsequently become successful. Don't fall prey to class warfare as it doesn't do you any good other than to make you bitter and hateful. We should actually thank the rich and the intelligent innovators of the world. For example . Larry Page and Sergey Brin who invented the search engine Google. These men were not "the rich" but just regular students at Stanford University. They are indeed now super rich. But look at all the wealth they have created for millions of people all over the Globe. Look at the wonderful service they provide. But I suspect you don't admire them rather you most likely envy them and resent them their success. Open your eyes.

<br />
<br />It's an act of nature; how could the Thai government have mitigated against it? What are you suggesting they should have done, ask god to turn the tap off?!<br />
<br /><br />Ever heard of building DIKES ?<br />In the  Netherlands we started a 1200 years ago with it. Since then improved and improved and constructed over 17,000 km of dikes. In Jan 1995 the rivers came at much higher levels as ever expected. Over an area of 60 km wide and 150 km long over 250,000 people, their lifestock and everything else they want to move, had to be evacuated in just days. 30 juni 2000 problem was solved by increasing all dikes along 4 big rivers ( Rhine, Waal, Maas and IJssel) till some places 16 mtr higher as normal water level.<br />For the Thais: as so many things: to stupid and too lazy. What can you expect from a nation, which sells their votes for a 20-100 baht to any croock, who wants to plunder the country? From a government, who even shoot-to-kill on a protesting crowd ?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You sound just like an American !!!

Just because the Thais do not think like a Westerner they are wrong and you want to change them

THIS IS THAILAND accept it or go home and stick your finger in your dike

The Thai Government should be brought to court for the way they failed to prepare for the rains and the deaths of Thai people. But instead the prime minister keeps smiling.

The Thai way.

The floods throughout Asia are not the fault of the PM. You must be a Redshirt. You people never give up. Thailand will never have such an education, pro-Western PM and is lucky to have one who likes Whites/Caucasians, unlike Thaksin who hated Caucasians and Westerners.

<br />
<br />It's an act of nature; how could the Thai government have mitigated against it? What are you suggesting they should have done, ask god to turn the tap off?!<br />
<br /><br />Ever heard of building DIKES ?<br />In the Netherlands we started a 1200 years ago with it. Since then improved and improved and constructed over 17,000 km of dikes. In Jan 1995 the rivers came at much higher levels as ever expected. Over an area of 60 km wide and 150 km long over 250,000 people, their lifestock and everything else they want to move, had to be evacuated in just days. 30 juni 2000 problem was solved by increasing all dikes along 4 big rivers ( Rhine, Waal, Maas and IJssel) till some places 16 mtr higher as normal water level.<br />For the Thais: as so many things: to stupid and too lazy. What can you expect from a nation, which sells their votes for a 20-100 baht to any croock, who wants to plunder the country? From a government, who even shoot-to-kill on a protesting crowd ?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You sound just like an American !!!

Just because the Thais do not think like a Westerner they are wrong and you want to change them

THIS IS THAILAND accept it or go home and stick your finger in your dike

lol, I am Dutch and are so right!

-NG

I'm Dutch, but this Dutchman is embarrassing. Will he travel the world accusing people in dozens of flood prone countries of being "lazy and stupid" because they didn't build dykes?

Maybe if there was less concrete, roads and so on built all over, most probably without any study on hydro-geological features, and few more forests left in the country such things wouldn't happen, or at least not so badly.

But then, who we are to judge? whistling.gif

"But then, who we are to judge?" Correction. Who are you to know? You do not know. Regarding you and those who are blabbing "Too little too late." and similar unpreparedness assertions in the above posts- I would be surprised to find that you have any real knowledge that supports what you say.

Two years ago I have been told from American Scientists about the water will travel from the North to the South...especially to the developing countries...Thailand also one of them....

I spoke with several relatives and friends. No one paid attention except my second sister who bought high ground properties in towns. She gave the site for me in case I want to retire in Thailand.

But, Governments in the developing countries do not have Money to take care all the business due to Corruption and domestic problems....look at Haiti as an example..it is so obvious......

The poor is the one who pays the price and the Middle class like you and I will pay Most of the Taxes while 2% of the rich pay nothing except looking good....example as such America.....

Now we have to push the legislators for the new Prevention and flood bills.....Fa rang can do and believe me anything is possible...my take and I am standing tall.

You sir are perpetuating a myth. You imply that in America the rich do not pay their fare share of taxes when in fact the opposite is true. The latest data show that the largest portion of the federal income tax burden is paid by a small group of the very richest Americans. The wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn 19 per­cent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax. The top 10 percent pay 68 percent of the tab. Meanwhile, the bottom 50 percent—those below the median income level—now earn 13 percent of the income but pay just 3 percent of the taxes. The other thing you need to ask yourself is, "Have you ever gotten a job from a poor person?" Who do you think creates jobs or wealth? The rich or the poor? You need to stop demonizing the rich as they are just people like you or me, perhaps once not rich at all, but people who had an idea or a concept and who were willing to work hard and risk all their capital to create a product or service and to subsequently become successful. Don't fall prey to class warfare as it doesn't do you any good other than to make you bitter and hateful. We should actually thank the rich and the intelligent innovators of the world. For example . Larry Page and Sergey Brin who invented the search engine Google. These men were not "the rich" but just regular students at Stanford University. They are indeed now super rich. But look at all the wealth they have created for millions of people all over the Globe. Look at the wonderful service they provide. But I suspect you don't admire them rather you most likely envy them and resent them their success. Open your eyes.

I am so tired of the wealthy among us (and those dupes who believe them) who whine about how tough it is for them. Somehow they are the victims of this horrible system that taxes them unfairly. In the US, over the last 30 years, average after-tax incomes for the top 1 percent rose by 281 percent after adjusting for inflation — compared to increases of just 25 percent for the middle fifth of households. Those massive increases in wealth have lead to a feeding frenzy of greed and corruption that leave the world in the economic mess that we are in now. Sure, those with money can create jobs but the fact is that over the past 30 years, most of those folks have pocketed a good deal of those gains. Accumulation is the name of the game. And now, when the system that fed them, asks for a bit extra to fix the problem they made, we hear cries of pain. Those cries are falling on deaf ears.

I am so tired of the wealthy among us (and those dupes who believe them) who whine about how tough it is for them. Somehow they are the victims of this horrible system that taxes them unfairly. In the US, over the last 30 years, average after-tax incomes for the top 1 percent rose by 281 percent after adjusting for inflation — compared to increases of just 25 percent for the middle fifth of households. Those massive increases in wealth have lead to a feeding frenzy of greed and corruption that leave the world in the economic mess that we are in now. Sure, those with money can create jobs but the fact is that over the past 30 years, most of those folks have pocketed a good deal of those gains. Accumulation is the name of the game. And now, when the system that fed them, asks for a bit extra to fix the problem they made, we hear cries of pain. Those cries are falling on deaf ears.

Mr Tsuboi I know you are tired. You are tired and weary and resentful of others who have prospered while you, it appears have not. I also detect a wee bit of anger in your writing. You know carrying all that anger around is also what is probably making you so tired. Have you tired meditation? Contrary to your assertion that I was complaining or feeling a victim I was simply writing to correct erroneous information about tax policy and outcomes in the USA. I am quite happy and successful and prosperous and also living quite well both here in Thailand and America. Thank you for asking. But getting back to taxation in the USA. What you fail to mention about middle income families in America is Median family income in America between 1980 and 2004 grew by 17 percent. The middle class (defined as those between the 40th and the 60th percentiles of income) isn't falling behind or "disappearing." It is getting richer. The lower income bound for the middle class has risen by about $12,000 (after inflation) since 1967. The upper income bound for the middle class is now roughly $68,000—some $23,000 higher than in 1967. Thus, a family in the 60th percentile has 50 percent more buying power than 40 years ago. Of course all this is currently being destroyed by your pal Barrack Hussein Obama.

For a start they could have taken notice of weather reports and warn people of the threat, also offered advice?

In the larger Towns, they could make sure that the drains and storm drains are cleared of rubbish and silt.

Just maybe could have helped??????

jb1

Did you just start reading up on things TODAY? The Government has been issuing flood warnings for a long time, but with a years worth of rain in a week what can they do? Nature does what Nature does, and not much we humans can do to stop or control it. Floods are a way of life when you live by a river. Most times the floods are minor and beneficial to the land and sometimes they are severe and really impact people.

Do you understand anything about Nature? Or are you just another critic of the Government?

Just a brief comment, the Thames barrier is to protect against a tidal surge, fairly common in the North Sea. The river Thames is a tidal river up to Teddington lock.

British waterways controls the freshwater Thames flow by a series of upstram locks, holding reservoirs and flood zones. My daughter is one of their planners, perhaps I should invite her here to meet Abhisit:lol:

Around 4,000 million cubic metres (a million gallons) of water per second is expected to flow into the capital's Chao Phraya river, which coupled with high sea levels surging from the other direction, could cause floods in parts of the city.

This semed alot of water to me too. I tried to work out how many kilometers long &how many meters high this wall of water decending on Bangkok is but got lost in culculations. But it seems 1 cubic meter = 264 us gallons or 219 uk gallons ( nearest round figure ) So 1 million (us gallons ) = 3784 cubic meters of water. not as stated 4000 million. Is sombody´s math worse than mine. I know somebody´s will be better and who will be able to make gallon or cubic meter out of all of this.!!!!!!

4000 million cubic metres of water is huge!

Picture a box of water about 1.5 kms on all sides, then imagine that rushing down the Chao Phraya every second. Would make a fantastic Hollywood style disaster movie.

Think someone has the wrong figure from somewhere, probably 4000 cubic metres a second.

Hey puipuitom. Congratultions!!! You have entered the dumbest post that I have yet read in this forum. And if there is no political corruption in Netherlands I will pack my bags and buy a one-way ticket there now. But then again since there is no country without political corruption and Netherlands is one of the worlds most expensive countries to live in and has up to greater than 50% income tax it may become a bit expensive to buy votes. The only thing that I find "too stupid and too lazy" is someone like you who has little ambition outside of sitting on his ass and typing criticism of others on things that for all you know are heresay. By the way, they build DIKES in Netherlands because the country exists below sea level, not against a potential hazard. ;)

The Thai Government should be brought to court for the way they failed to prepare for the rains and the deaths of Thai people. But instead the prime minister keeps smiling.

The Thai way.

Funny comment mumbai, can you come with a solution as well as comments? The leading figure in the area of flood prevention the last 40 years has actually been the King of Thailand, he has been the one pushing for improvements and he has done an excellent job at it too. The various governments have put in more effort and money into flood prevention than otherwise would have been the case, it is still not enough and it never will be but it has improved considerably. You have not been here long enough to know that though, or you kept your eyes closed during your visits.

Infrastructure jobs like this takes many years to implement, the ONLY government the last 40 years that you do NOT critizise is actually the current one led by Abhisit

Your name indicate that you are Indian, perhaps you should ask a Hindu God to turn the tap off