Will Floods Cause Problems Getting To Airport?

islandguy

We are flying to Bangkok the 26th to take a 06:15 flight out of Suvarnabhumi the 27th. Check in starts at 04:15 and there is not much room for error at that hour (no plan B is likely to be available). My choices are to either stay with family in Bang Pili (Samut Prakan province, about 30 minutes away) and arrange a taxi to pick us up, or in a hotel closer to the airport with a shuttle. My two questions are 1) Will floods affect the streets around those Bang Pili and the airport, and 2) what hotel might be likely to have good access even with flooding happening. I know that I con look at previous threads for places to stay overnight near the airport, but possible flooding is not usually a factor in deciding where to stay :(

Thanks for any help.

Having both missed flights and lived through floods, I could see paying $129 a night. I kinda of doubt it since it is over budget for me and there are much cheaper hotels, but thanks for reminding me of the closest and surest choice!

The Novotel is pricy... You say 'we': For myself, if one brings sufficient inflatable pillows and warm clothes / throw blanket, there are worse things than to just camp out on the 4th floor SVB and make occasional trips to the ground floor cafeteria... 7-11 type stores stay open 24 hr and you can wash up & change into fresh clothes in the rest rooms before the flight ... FREE!

Edited by jazzbo

All the local hotels are on the same level as the runways. If the local hotels aren't accessible then your flight probably won't leave home anyway.

If Novotel's several k baht is too rich for you - I'm a well-heeled bastard, but it's an unnecessary expense in my book - I would recommend you book one of the local hotels where you only have to give a 10% down payment on their web-site like Silver Gold Garden (Convenience Resort may be the same). I.e. don't use Asiarooms.com or their like, as they demand full non-refundable payment for the small discount they sometimes give over the hotel's own website; they have their place but not for transit stops. You can afford to lose 100 baht!

There are a couple of good threads about convenient and cheapish hotels - sub 1,000 baht and perfectly decent quality for an overnight stay with free terminal transport)

Edited by SantiSuk