Dried Squid

TexasRanger

I don't know about large bulk purchases in BKK, though I'm sure it could be easily arranged.

I know Carrefour stores sell lots of individual packages of the stuff, usually in the seafood section... The store at On Nut certainly does.

And in my neighborhood, every day, there's guys riding around on bicycles and little coal cooker pots selling the stuff off their little clothes line racks....

The better question is, where is Bangkok can one go where you WON'T find dried squid..... <_<

Any good sized Thai street market is likely to have a stock somewhere on hand....

Wow lot of squid - may I ask why so much?

One kilo lasts me about a 3 weeks..microwave some on a plate for about 45 seconds. They puff up and are tender and juicy, I eat them like beef jerky.

Also after I Microwave some I will cut them into long, thin strips, and put them in scrambled eggs with onions.

Also I give them away to my neighbors and maid.

-O

• 1 month later...

One kilo lasts me about a 3 weeks..microwave some on a plate for about 45 seconds. They puff up and are tender and juicy, I eat them like beef jerky.

Also after I Microwave some I will cut them into long, thin strips, and put them in scrambled eggs with onions.

-O

How can dried squid become juicy after micrwaved ?

Is it the dark brown type that Chinese like to use for cooking soup ?

Can you teach how to microwave ? Which setting ? High, medium or low heat ?

OP,

I am sure Chinatown is a good place to buy. The Chinese are more picky on quality.

• 3 weeks later...

-O

How can dried squid become juicy after micrwaved ?

Is it the dark brown type that Chinese like to use for cooking soup ?

Can you teach how to microwave ? Which setting ? High, medium or low heat ?

OP,

I am sure Chinatown is a good place to buy. The Chinese are more picky on quality.

As they come side-by-side in continuous sheets just tear off a few and lay them on a plate or in a bowl. Microwave (high) for 30-45 seconds, you will see them puff up, and steam bit.

Actually the color has shades of brown, grey, ash white. Just ask for the squid that has "kai" inside..they will understand.

That' it!

-O

If you can take a short trip outside Bangkok, the place to buy in bulk is the main Market in Samut Sakorn - also called Mahachai.

Find your way to the Ferry Landing and you will see the market on the left, as you face the river.

Literally tons of squid and most other seafood.

Patrick