Dr You Need A Larger Consulting Room.

GuestHouse

It was one of those quintessential Thai moments.

While waiting to see the doctor I observed one of those family moments that they probably do not have anywhere else.

A small crowd was moving slowly across the room delicately guiding an old lady across the room (actually not that old really - perhaps in her early 70s). One person either side of her and the rest following in a slow moving entourage.

Granny was going to see the doctor.

Having got Granny into the Doctor's consulting room, a line of nurses started cramming chairs into the room.

How many Thais does it take to take Granny to the Doctors?

Well the answer in this case was Nine!

When it came to my turn to see the doctor I was sitting in his room thinking - how the h3ll did they get all those chairs in here, let alone the people?!

I trust she didn't have anything embarrassingly personal to discuss with the Doctor.

At least the old lady has people that care about her

I'd take it as a sign of love.

Ever read the local Pattaya papers? It seems that every week an old foreign male is found dead in his apartment. Alone, and only discovered after the stench escapes the room, or because the rent hasn't been paid.

I bet some of the people that write about their prowess with the ladies and how happy they are swinging in Pattaya envy the old granny.

On the other hand if it was my family, I'd anticipate the family concern would be in respect to whether or not the inheritance will be paid out.

I think you are right, but between us we have the two extremes - and I would never rule out the inheritance, in deed on the basis of behaviour in general I'd expect it to be a bigger factor here in Thailand.

I've seen the same in 'lower income' hospitals as well though.

We usually have about 5-6 folks in the old folks entourage.

Probably a combination of a lot of things... care for elders, waiting for inheritance, and lots of folks with an awful lot of free time (myself included).

:)

Whilst I was up north some years ago helping to alleviate a flooding problem( which was accomplished) , an older lady neighbour fell ill , it took a pick up with about 10 people to deliver her to the hospital . It was quite some hours later when around half of them returned to the village , a couple of days later I was taken to the hospital for a visit with her to find the whole ward crammed with 'Visitors' , most of whom were in conversation with each other . I was always of the opinion that hospitals are a place for rest and cure for the patient , not a gathering of the clans , in Western hospitals where I have both visited and been visited , only two 'Guests ' at a time were allowed into the ward . Love can be shown in more ways than surrounding the sick with a cacophony of chit-chat , but then again , it takes the whole family transported to the 7/11 on one moto to purchase a bag of instant noodles .

As was pointed out by one member, A lot of people have a lot of time on their hands. If not at the hospital they would be at the patients place of residence, having a chit chat, snack, and once in a while peeking in to see if patient has recovered or passed on.

I think you are right, but between us we have the two extremes - and I would never rule out the inheritance, in deed on the basis of behaviour in general I'd expect it to be a bigger factor here in Thailand.

Wow! what an incredible judgmental fool, you don't even know the family. I really wonder out of the more than 60 millions people in Thailand, how many people you personally known to enable you to pass judgment on the entire population. I believe in karma, one day when you are all alone and dying on your dead bed in nursing home, you"ll remember an old lady surrounded by love ones that you ridiculed and wonder what went wrong.

Edited by a51mas

Wow! what an incredible judgmental fool, you don't even know the family. I really wonder out of the more than 60 millions people in Thailand, how many people you personally known to enable you to pass judgment on the entire population. I believe in karma, one day when you are all alone and dying on your dead bed in nursing home, you"ll remember an old lady surrounded by love ones that you ridiculed and wonder what went wrong.

whoa Nellie. Guesthouse was responding to my tongue in cheek comment about modern families. Although my comment was a cynical take on my family, no one is really waiting around for the grim reaper to pay a visit, although, I am now at the point when my siblings call that I usually answer, ut oh, who died.

I think you read his comment out of context. His was an observation only. No negativity. I believe my comment and his response have given you the wrong impression. Of all the people that post in TV, I don't think guesthouse comes close to being disrespectful to anyone. He is a proper old codger.

You accuse me of being a judgmental fool and then determine my future from your own belief in karma - Get over yourself.

The Old Kid gets it. :-)

Edited by GuestHouse

It brings up another question in my mind, the reason for the people is for carrying her if it's required.

Why are Thai people so darn heavy, l went to pick up and carry tiny Thai mama as l call her, to take her to hospital once and l couldn't do it.

It took two young men from next door to craddled her in there arms and put her in the back seat.