Trooping The Colour

Guest IT Manager

Guest IT Manager

Last night, I sat for over 3 hours, as His Majesty, King Bhumiphol was saluted by the members of the Armed Forces.

Every colour of the rainbow, perfect timing and drill, just to let this incredible man, know what his people think of him, and to show him the respect he so rightly deserves.

The thing that stood out, apart from the pomp and circumstance of the occasion which I watch every year, wherever I am, is that Their Majesties stood before the Army, Navy, Air force etc, without so much as a plastic board.

After APEC and 3000 security people for a man the world at minimum dislikes, I wonder what lessons there are to be learned from the adoration in which Thai people so obviously hold The Royal Family.

######

he's a great man, he touches the heart and soul of his people, have you guy notices that he haven't been abroad since the thailand crash, they ask him why, he replies, i don't want to go anywhere when my country is like this, man! wouldn't that have tear running down your face. :o

I have only a cursory knowledge of Thai royalty, but even in my short visits I have been duly impressed by the esteem in which the Thai people hold the monarchy. I am quite a cynical man, but the love appears to be pure. More power to Thailand. The small knowledge I have of King Bhumipol (sp?) is that of a man who genuinely loves his people.

I have mentioned in another thread a woman who I will be visiting later this month. Her love for the King is staggering. At first I truly wanted to be skeptical, but she won me over with her attitude. She is from Isaan and is quite impressed (not a strong enough word) with the programs he has implemented. There is only one person who rates higher in her opinion. The Queen.

Guest IT Manager

By plastic board Moog, I mean none of those little screens to deflect bullets etc.

His Majesty has nothing to be afraid of, and that in my opinion, is simply wonderful.

I must confess I don't know what you were talking about. Also this is not a discussion on the Royal Family. It is a comment on how the people of Thailand, and I include myself, regard His Majesty.

Waving at people who have waited to catch sight of you isn't "publicity".

Anyway, I recommend the Wat Pra Kao (5pm-ish free entry) for tomorrow if you want to see the King live. *

Make sure you're on the correct side of the Wat. We were in front of it by the front door, and that was okay. being on the side that he comes walking round is perfect. If you're standing on the wrong side, you won't see anything.

(* That's 'live' as in 'being there' and not on television......, not 'live' as in 'to live')