Statement Of Residence To Register New Motor

Bought my new car on Saturday, a Vigo 4x4, which is due for delivery on 15th Aug. Luvverly end of the month quota discount with loads of freebies included. 20" wheels ordered with low profile tyres, roll bar and electric top-up combined for the rear. Thai brother in law is green, even though he's got the serious offroad older model Tiger. He's been taking the pi## too long. Payback time!

To register the vehicle in due course, I started the ball rolling by visiting the Bangkok Immigration today to get the Statement of Residence.

I have a Non-Imm O Visa, issued on the 22nd July in Penang (purpose was for retirement). Without even looking at all my other documents (Rental Agreement -House Papers- Landlord's ID etc.), the Immigration Officer inspected my Passport and stated that they were unable to issue the Statement of Residence until I have given them a 90day Report!! "That's the Law" she said firmly! "Go your Embassy!"

Ok, no big deal about getting the Statement of Residence from UK Embassy- and I have to go there anyway to get my UK Driving Licence verified before getting my Thai Licence- but.. from this experience it seems the Statement of Residence is NOT available as of right to holders of Non-Imm O Visas.

I thought that 90day Reports were for people with Work Permits or Retirement Visas. The Non-Imm O Visa requires 90day Visa runs, not 90day Reporting.

Am I wrong?

According to my most recent passport Stamp I must exit the Kingdom before 19th October.

According to the Immigration Officer I must provide a 90day Report Form to Bangkok Immigration 7 days either side of this date- ie between 12th and 26th Oct and only after having done this will Immigration issue a Statement of Residence.

Anyone else had this problem recently in Bangkok?

Earlier this year I got a Statement of Residence just for the asking at Samui, but I now need a new one to register the new motor in Bangkok.

Bought my new car on Saturday, a Vigo 4x4, which is due for delivery on 15th Aug.  Luvverly end of the month quota discount with loads of freebies included. 20" wheels ordered with low profile tyres, roll bar and electric top-up combined for the rear. Thai brother in law is green, even though he's got the serious offroad older model Tiger. He's been taking the pi## too long. Payback time!

To register the vehicle in due course, I started the ball rolling by visiting the Bangkok Immigration today to get the Statement of Residence.

I have a Non-Imm O Visa, issued on the 22nd July in Penang (purpose was for retirement). Without even looking at all my other documents (Rental Agreement -House Papers- Landlord's ID etc.), the Immigration Officer inspected my Passport and stated that they were unable to issue the Statement of Residence until I have given them a 90day Report!! "That's the Law" she said firmly! "Go your Embassy!"

Ok, no big deal about getting the Statement of Residence from UK Embassy- and I have to go there anyway to get my UK Driving Licence verified before getting my Thai Licence- but.. from this experience it seems the Statement of Residence is NOT available as of right to holders of Non-Imm O Visas.

I thought that 90day Reports were for people with Work Permits or Retirement Visas. The Non-Imm O Visa requires 90day Visa runs, not 90day Reporting.

Am I wrong?

According to my most recent passport Stamp I must exit the Kingdom before 19th October.

According to the Immigration Officer I must provide a 90day Report Form to Bangkok Immigration 7 days either side of this date- ie between 12th and 26th Oct and only after having done this will Immigration issue a Statement of Residence.

Earlier this year I got a Statement of Residence just for the asking at Samui, but I now need a new one to register the new motor in Bangkok.

The immigration is correct and also logical how can they verify where you live until after you have lodged your extension application which is as stated after your first 90 days (yes lodge at 80 days mark) they Thai immigration dont have verification until police visit and clarify thats where you are residing. The Embassy just take you at your word.

VIGO 4 x 4 is a nice car but the suspension is typical pick-up so the ride is not great. Now you've spoiled it completely by putting low profile tyres on it. Less tyre wall depth means less rubber to soak up the bumps. If you read the drivers handbook you will almost certainly find that Toyota state that replacement wheels and tyres should be as original fit.

Bought my new car on Saturday, a Vigo 4x4, which is due for delivery on 15th Aug.  Luvverly end of the month quota discount with loads of freebies included. 20" wheels ordered with low profile tyres, roll bar and electric top-up combined for the rear. Thai brother in law is green, even though he's got the serious offroad older model Tiger. He's been taking the pi## too long. Payback time!

Am I wrong?

VIGO 4 x 4 is a nice car but the suspension is typical pick-up so the ride is not great. Now you've spoiled it completely by putting low profile tyres on it. Less tyre wall depth means less rubber to soak up the bumps. If you read the drivers handbook you will almost certainly find that Toyota state that replacement wheels and tyres should be as original fit.

There's a vigo knocking around here in Khon Kaen as it looks ROUGH with the 20 inch rims. OP you have impeccible tatse IMHO and I'm quite sure you have liitle interest in giving a to55 what the "drives handbook" recommends you do with your money :o

20Alloys.jpg

20" Lenso alloys for a client in the UK, that's what he asked for, that what he got. Looks cool though!!

Get you residency document from your embassy, they don't ask and questions there, well not at the UK embassy anyway, as long as you pay, that's all that concerns them!!

You are wrong about the non immigrant O visa use - you obtained that (your words) for retirement so you are expected to extend your stay after 60 days and movement of 800k into a local bank account and then would be subject to the 90 day reporting requirement and not have to leave the county.

Thanks for the input and advice fellas.

The Vigo:

Petertheeater:

Yes, I agree- less able to take up the bumps with low profiles, but 20" alloys transform the appearance from a farmer's market pickup into a real street machine, and 20" wheels need low profiles to enable the correct turning circle to be maintained and prevent the tyres catching on the bodywork etc.. I am sure you are correct about Toyota's handbook, but I just want these wheels...it's not just Immigration that is illogical! I did get it in writing from the Toyota Dealer that my wheels will not infringe the warranty.

Terdsak:

I agree the wheels you show look much better. I saw a black Fortuna with 20" chrome wheels yesterday, the suspension lowered too.. very sexy. Wish I knew how to put photos on here too!!

Thetyim:

I know, and you are right, but when I want something... I just have to have it!. I will be keeping the original wheels, fitted with AT tyres, for when I go on offroad trips.

Bkk Immigration:

Mijan:

Your comments made me smile :o . I didn't realise that logic was a pre-requisite for employment at Immigration! Nor did I realise that they actually veryfy anything. They are, however, equally able to veryfy where I live now, just as they would be able to do after any 90day Report !! Now that must be the "logic" you refer to. :D

Lopburi:

Thanks for the explanation.-- I obtained a Non-imm O visa because I had allowed my previous Retirement stamp to expire, as my bankers failed to send the required 800,000 to my Thai bank in time. I was told by Immigration at that time to go to Penang and get a non-imm O again and then apply for a Retirement stamp.

The main reason for posting was that, from other posts I have read here, I had the impression that the Statement of Residence was available from Immigration to anyone with a Non-Imm O visa. This seems only true in part, because it is only available from Immigration (in Bkk at least) after 90days reporting.

Thanks again all.

Rick

OK Riley. The 20 inchers do look nice and that's what you want and it's your money. Just be aware that changes in the overall diameter of the wheel from original specification will also affect the gear ratio and speedometer calibration.

OK Riley. The 20 inchers do look nice and that's what you want and it's your money. Just be aware that changes in the overall diameter of the wheel from original specification will also affect the gear ratio and speedometer calibration.

You can add to that list a change in

scrub radius

camber angle on bump/droop

roll centre

of course you might have actually improved it

Am I wrong?

I have a Non Immigrant O and have never had any problems getting a Statement of Residence from Pattaya immigration, just show wife's Mortgage Book, wife's ID, and my passport.

Am I wrong?

I have a Non Immigrant O and have never had any problems getting a Statement of Residence from Pattaya immigration, just show wife's Mortgage Book, wife's ID, and my passport.

Me to

No problem at Nongkai, very nice people, it took 40 minutes and NO tea money.

edd :o

:D ..Sorry to hijack this thread guys..but why does the OP need to jump through hoops to register the car? Why does he need to produce a Residence Cert?

I am somewhat confused ..I bought a Toyota Vigo a couple of months ago. It's in my name (according to the papers I have received) but no one mentioned about paying Immigration a visit for a Residence Cert??? :o

I was thinking of changing the wheels on my truck too but I am still waiting for Toyota to provide me with an owner's manual in English :D ..looks like I'm in for a very long wait!

I went and get residence papers and if memory serves was at that time on a 30 day visa on arrival.. Went along with letter from landlord I think and copy house tabien baan..

Little slip of paper along to transport office.. some forms.. my name on everything..

:o ..Sorry to hijack this thread guys..but why does the OP need to jump through hoops to register the car? Why does he need to produce a Residence Cert?

You have to provide confirmation of address.

This can be a WP, letter from immigration or letter from embassy

post-17505-1123161836_thumb.jpg

Jingjingna. How do these wheels grab you? Transformation, or what!!

According to the Bangkok Vehicle Registration Office, the confirmation of address can come from any Thai Government Department (including Police, or Immigration) or, alternatively, from the foreigner's own Embassy. It is not required if you can show your own name on House Papers, nor if you have a Work Permit. I intend to test this out by getting the Statement of Address from my local suburban Bangkok Police station.

The Bangkok Driving Licence Office state that they will only accept a Statement of Residence from the foreigner's Embassy when applying for a Thai Licence.

I am sure that all this is different in other parts of Thailand.

Rick

Riley wrote:

The Bangkok Driving Licence Office state that they will only accept a Statement of Residence from the foreigner's Embassy when applying for a Thai Licence.

Reading this forum I hearso many different stories.

I applied in person at the Immigration for a Statement of Residence. We will ask your local police station first, they must confirm your address and send this paper to Bangkok. Then we will send this Statement of Residence paper to you, but it could take 2 months. Police here knows nothing about this and dont want to confirm my address to the Immigration.

PS: I do regular 90 day address reporting to the Immigration, never any problem, maybe talked to the wrong officer the day I asked for Statement of Residence.

But the police here can give me a Tabian ban falang quickly :o , no problem. We know your wife and she has a house.

I have just collected my new Thai motor cycle license today.

I got a Statement of Residence from Phuket immigration.

I showed them my original passport, gave them photocopies of passport. Showed them the Tabien Bahn of the house I live in.

Took ten minutes to get the Statement at no cost whatsoever.

I have just collected my new Thai motor cycle license today.

I got a Statement of Residence from Phuket immigration.

I showed them my original passport, gave them photocopies of passport. Showed them the Tabien Bahn of the house I live in.

Took ten minutes to get the Statement at no cost whatsoever.

Thanks for the advice. Tabien Ban first and then Immigration.