Olive Cultivation.

johntou

moving to farming...

u do realize that saplings will not be for your use but for your descendants' use? here in israel we purchase adult trees and move them (wth govt' permission, its the only tree not allowed to be cut down, must be moved it is so slow growing).. the arab families here say that when they plant an olive tree, it is for their great grand children. they are super expensive here in israel. cant imagine how mcuh they would be in thailand.

they also dont like wet. and they cause horrible allergies with their pollen.

post-8751-078595500 1288074562_thumb.jpg

our 1200 yr old olive tree left along the 'terazzot' in our apple orchards...

although if u buy a sapling u can still harvest olives after a few years, just the tree will be lacking the beauty of the 'old' trees...an old tree can cost about 3000 shekels or more, here.(24000 baht!) just to give u perspective. havent a clue in thailand.

Sisaket Agricultural College grow olive trees and I obtained a couple of saplings from them a 2 or 3 years ago, which are growing in our garden, tho of course no fruit yet. I don't think that the college commercially sell the saplings but my wife can be particularly persuasive. They have an area where they demonstrate their products and a jar of their olives is on show.

Sisaket Agricultural College grow olive trees and I obtained a couple of saplings from them a 2 or 3 years ago, which are growing in our garden, tho of course no fruit yet. I don't think that the college commercially sell the saplings but my wife can be particularly persuasive. They have an area where they demonstrate their products and a jar of their olives is on show.

Would it be possible to post a picture of your trees and a leaf close up.

I am curious what type is it.

Thank you

Bina. Thank you for your reply. I would just like to have one or two small olive bushes/trees in the garden for their foliage as much as anything else. I particularly like the green with silver underside leaves, which can seem to shine in the moonlight. I would also like to pick a few olives off them in years to come. (I am planning on still being around then... :) )

soidog2. Thank you for the link, I haven't got time to read the whole report right now, but I certainly will later.

pnustedt. I am glad to hear you have had your saplings growing in your garden for 2-3 years. This information makes me feel much more positive about my idea. I will organise a visit to the college you mentioned.

Thank you

Certainly, here you are

Thank you , again.

you should really clip the 'piglets' (all those branchlets springing up from the base of the tree ) from around the main trunk so that it develops as a tree shape... and allow main branches to get stronger and give shape to the tree..

bina

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you

Certainly, here you are

Thank you , again.

you should really clip the 'piglets' (all those branchlets springing up from the base of the tree ) from around the main trunk so that it develops as a tree shape... and allow main branches to get stronger and give shape to the tree..

bina

I thought olives needed a cool spell to fruit and as such in many parts of Thailand wont as its always so hot??