Bank Savings Interest Rates 2023

1 hour ago, kiko11 said:

Krungthai offers 0.25% interest for savings account. How come I never received any interest whatsoever in the last years? 

In a regular savings account, for every 800 ฿ on deposit for the entire year, you should receive 1 ฿ in each of June and December.  Maybe you blinked and missed it.????

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

JPM.  But, the key is to buy them through your brokerage account.  Brokered CDs are a thorn in the side of the banking mob.  If you asked at a branch, they might tell you less....often much less.  Brokered CD gives you the same protection as retail, and the money automatically comes out of your cash reserve account, and is automatically put back in...there are zero lost interest days, and no need for new signature cards, etc....btw, FDRXX is currently yielding 4.77%, but buying CD locks you in, provided they aren't callable.  Bank of China-US is offering 5.1 fir 30 days..  they have come down slightly in the past few weeks.  

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, moontang said:

JPM.  But, the key is to buy them through your brokerage account.  Brokered CDs are a thorn in the side of the banking mob.  If you asked at a branch, they might tell you less....often much less.  Brokered CD gives you the same protection as retail, and the money automatically comes out of your cash reserve account, and is automatically put back in...there are zero lost interest days, and no need for new signature cards, etc....btw, FDRXX is currently yielding 4.77%, but buying CD locks you in, provided they aren't callable.  Bank of China-US is offering 5.1 fir 30 days..  they have come down slightly in the past few weeks.  

Nice tip, never checked before, a full two percent higher than I'm getting now, and more options...

1337769830_CDRates.thumb.jpg.dd52491a5a2e3445373595237fd3c7bf.jpg

Glad I could assist.  You might be surprised how quickly the offerings can change.  And another thing the bank mob does is to not allow you to tell them what to do upon maturity...and this goes for LOS, too.  You have to go in on the day of maturity, or during a small window around maturity to prevent a roll over that may be crap...very common in the Thai system..you get a 7 month promo, and it auto rolls to a one year paying half or less.  They are gambling on you not staying on top of it.  Oh, and about a third of the IOs frown at FD..typical resentment of foreigner gaming their system to make a few $$.

Edited by moontang
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Do you think that indicates expectations of Thb strengthening?

Expectations? No. Influence? Maybe. 

If I could predict currency movement, I would buy Centerpoint Terminal 21, renovate the top two floors and install a private elevator. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Expectations? No. Influence? Maybe. 

If I could predict currency movement, I would buy Centerpoint Terminal 21, renovate the top two floors and install a private elevator. 

Quit going there when the monkeys realized farang was using Aeon ATM in the basement without fee, and pulled the plug.

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2020 at 10:30 PM, EricTh said:

You are supposed to go there to select a new scheme on maturity date.

If you don't, the bank will automatically rollover for a lower rate, it is written on the contract.

I keep a fixed deposit account at Bkk Bank for my retirement extention. The last time i renewed it it was .50% I failed to go in to do it following year and it was done as you say automatically but at .80%

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Those Krungsri rates are a bit pathetic, to tie money up for 2 years. I get 4.27% on a basic easy access account in the UK so it's not worth moving the money here.

Yeah, and my Fidelity account is up 11.2% YTD, but that does not help with my money in Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 6:33 AM, Henryford said:

Those Krungsri rates are a bit pathetic, to tie money up for 2 years. I get 4.27% on a basic easy access account in the UK so it's not worth moving the money here.

At these low Thailand rates,  I would think big money would be leaving Thailand and going to places paying 4% or higher.  I really don't understand the FX markets. 

• Like 1

I just bought a 63 month CD at 5.5%, interest paid monthly.  It is callable, but I have never been burned on that.  Funny how the best rates are often for oddball terms.  Must be the anti competitive spirit in them.  I still have a crush on Kwan at CIMB.  Hey, just to piss off the feminazis, let's do a thread on best looking bank tellers.  Overall, and individual branches, along with special mention for superstar.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

I just bought a 63 month CD at 5.5%, interest paid monthly.  It is callable, but I have never been burned on that.  Funny how the best rates are often for oddball terms.  Must be the anti competitive spirit in them.  I still have a crush on Kwan at CIMB.  Hey, just to piss off the feminazis, let's do a thread on best looking bank tellers.  Overall, and individual branches, along with special mention for superstar.  

I don't think I'd do anything over a year at this point, I'm betting it keeps going up.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/30/2023 at 7:20 AM, Henryford said:

Anyone seen an increase in their Bank's interest rate on savings after the BoT rate increase to 2.5% ?

Was in a L&H branch yesterday.

They had a flyer offering various fixed term amounts including 18 months at 1.85% and 11 months at 2.1%. However on the latter I did not double check if usable for Immigration purposes so DOYR.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 10:47 PM, Yellowtail said:

Nice tip, never checked before, a full two percent higher than I'm getting now, and more options...

I'm also a Fidelity customer.

Currently, Treasury yields are higher than brokered CDs which is not always the case.   You can buy them at either original auction or  in the secondary market at Fidelity with no commission.

If a Treasury and a brokered CD is yielding the same rate for the same duration, I suggest Treasuries because if you need to sell for some unforseen reason the Bid-Ask spread is much more reasonable with Treasuries.  One often takes a real haircut if selling a brokered CD.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

LH Bank (Thai customers only!) sent an offer to my wife:

I didn't read the actual terms and conditions but in the past they only accept Thai customers

lhe.jpeg

Edited by gamb00ler

22 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

LH Bank (Thai customers only!) sent an offer to my wife:

I didn't read the actual terms and conditions but in the past they only accept Thai customers

lhe.jpeg

Do you mean they only accept Thai customers for FCD accounts - as I have a baht fixed deposit account with them for many years?

That is a very good rate for USD though

1 hour ago, topt said:

Do you mean they only accept Thai customers for FCD accounts - as I have a baht fixed deposit account with them for many years?

That is a very good rate for USD though

A couple of years ago LH Bank offered their Pro-Fit account paying 1.5% per year.  The terms and conditions on that account state that it's for Thai individuals only.  I probably shouldn't have assumed it is the same for this latest offer.

It seems the advertised FCD's are also available to foreigners who temporarily (annual extension?) live in Thailand.

https://www.lhbank.co.th/getattachment/567406c2-f5ff-4d99-9474-98090b9747d9/personal-เงินฝาก-deposit-interest-rates-Document-Foreign-Currency-Interest-Rates-and-Deposit-Fees-Current-Foreign-Currency-Deposit-Interest-Rates

Edited by gamb00ler