Non-Slip Tiles

Gladiator

My apologies, if this topic has already been answered but I cannot find it on the seach function.

I am just about to move into a house, which although is very nice, has slippery tiles, when wet, in both the bathrooms and throughout the house.

Naturally, I am trying to minimize my costs and apart from ripping all of the old tiles up and laying new - non-slip tiles - is there any way that i can do this myself? I am not really competant at building techniques, but thinking laterally - by having the tiles sanded down, or applying adhesive and laying down non-slip sand?

Sorry to sound so dense but any suggestions would be welcomed.

Gladiiator

You can buy non slip strips to stick on (which look ugly), sanding down the tiles will make them look terrible and sticking sand on (though I've never heard of this) would look terrible too and feel bad under foot. the only problem should realy be the bath rooms (just mop up spillages elsewhere straight away). In the bathrooms have spare flip-flops to slip (pardon the pun) into and you won't fall over, this is more hygenic too. I bought non-slip mats for directly under the shower (you can buy jig-saw looking tiles to go there too, which will work fine. I worry more about the rugs my misses puts inside the doors to wipe your feeton, which are a death trap (I have just found non-slip ones which I will be investing in soon). If you walk barefoot in the house then your feet should not slip (remember mop up spillages) If you wear socks then invest in a pair of the good old fasioned slipper (again no pun intended)

Cheers

Neil

You may also look at those treated wood duck boards intended for decks / patios, come in interlocking pieces about a foot square. My Malaysian ex. had them in her shower, very effective and looked OK too :)

You may also look at those treated wood duck boards intended for decks / patios, come in interlocking pieces about a foot square. My Malaysian ex. had them in her shower, very effective and looked OK too :)

Can be bad for the toes if they are not stepped upon carefully, as they will be placed finished an inch higher than the floor tiles.

Hate to say it but your best option is to rip the old bathroom tiling out & replace it with the 300 baht Sq. meter tile. the labor isn't much to redo the house & it would not be worth breaking your neck or other parts by not having the proper tiling. Besides you have to live with the Agony Of Defeat(no pun intended) every time you walk into your bathrooms. Chalk it up to learning experiences. Any non stick surfaces will be sub par although they work. I made my own non slip surfacing agent-Basically sand & paint . While it works outdoors well it would suck big time on the feet. The strips would feel like either a boat or a commercial site & not to happening in a bathroom. Do it once right or live with it & save a few baht.

Many thanks to all of you for your replies

Food for thought.

Although I have lived in a number of types of accommodation during my time in Thailand - the recent fatal accident in Pattaya (?) and my advancing years now make me a little nervous

Cheers.

Hate to say it but your best option is to rip the old bathroom tiling out & replace it with the 300 baht Sq. meter tile. the labor isn't much to redo the house & it would not be worth breaking your neck or other parts by not having the proper tiling. Besides you have to live with the Agony Of Defeat(no pun intended) every time you walk into your bathrooms. Chalk it up to learning experiences. Any non stick surfaces will be sub par although they work. I made my own non slip surfacing agent-Basically sand & paint . While it works outdoors well it would suck big time on the feet. The strips would feel like either a boat or a commercial site & not to happening in a bathroom. Do it once right or live with it & save a few baht.

Where did you use that sand and paint solution? Is it still working out? I bought terra cotta tiles as they were not slippery...then the contractor applied some glossy covering and they are slippery as heck! Maybe I can add another coat and put some sand in there?

As for the bathroom, that's what we did...ripped out the old and put in non slip. It was quite cheap. But for our outdoor shower, we used a mat you can buy from homepro/works or tesco, big c, etc. It's some kinda water absorbent mat. Works great. We then put a non slip throw rug past that to really dry the feet on. Works perfect.

• 1 month later...

A few years ago I had a spray product that was designed to create non slip surfaces, I'm pretty sure it was for exterior & interior surfaces. I brought it to spray over wood steps as they had a tendancy to moss over in the damp British winters.

It was a clear coat like varnish..

It was a German product but my memory fails me on what it was called, maybe something like Tuffkote. I think if you did a search on protective floor coatings you may find a similar product.

I never walked on it barefoot so have no idea what it felt like underfoot. I think it was for industrial flooring such as to go on top of painted floors found in workshops and commercial car garages so it will probably adhere to floor tiles.

It was readily available in europe and might be worth getting a can to test, standard 500ml spray can was what I had.