By Train To K L For Ed Visa

I have to get a new Ed visa from Kuala Lumphur and have decided to cut costs and go by train.

Has anyone done this trip. I am hoping to arrive and go to consulate and then pick up visa next day and return to Thailand.

Is there any problems with going by train as apposed to flying. Do I need a return rail ticket to show on entry to Malysia?

Can anyone recommend a cheap and convenient hotel for consulate?

Thanks

Do not believe there is any normal priced train service through to KL unless changed recently. Either a change in Hat Yai or Butterworth would be required I suspect and do not believe connections are good. Most people fly that route with the discount carriers.

There is no return ticket requirement so you should check schedules and be aware Thai trains are almost always late arriving (departure is usually on time).

Yes ,train from Bkk., to K.L. is a good way to go. You change trains at Butterworth.No Malaysian trains run to Hat Yai 2nd. class sleeper from Bkk. is good. Do you really have to go to K.L.? Cannot get Ed. visa from the Consulate in Penang? I like Penang, particularly "Little India", very good food.

O.K., if that Malaysian train still runs, which I believe it does,yes you can change at Hat Yai. That gives you more choice of trains to Hat Yai. I would take either the Sungai Golok or Butterworth train to Hat Yai, You will have a few hours to spend in Hat Yai.Remember that The time difference is 1 hour.Youcan book early at Hua Lumphong railway station, advisable, as many trains get booked out.

Yes ,train from Bkk., to K.L. is a good way to go. You change trains at Butterworth.No Malaysian trains run to Hat Yai 2nd. class sleeper from Bkk. is good. Do you really have to go to K.L.? Cannot get Ed. visa from the Consulate in Penang? I like Penang, particularly "Little India", very good food.

At the time of applying to do this course and subsequent pqperwork raised by the school I never thought of Penang. So as the Min. of Ed have now got the application and it says Kuala Lumphur for consulate, then it looks like I am stuck with KL. It is taking long enough as it is without reapplying.

I did that years ago and believe me, by the time you get to KL and all the grub you scoff, knick knacks you buy (grilled chicken, dinner on the train, etc) and beers you (may) pour down your gullet during the looooooooonnnnnnnng trip, it would be cheaper to fly with Air Asia!!