No Booze In The Pub

jonwilly

I don't question the funny laws in Thailand. I just try and live with them. Police are paid low salaries which they have to add to with bribes. Some take it to another level and others are pretty level headed guys. We had that old discussion why the Spicey bar was allowed to sell booze after 2 AM when other bars were closed at 1 AM. I think someone said the owner of Spicey was either a policeman or had connections with the police. Who cares? It is what it is. A 3 hour afternoon closure of selling alcohol is hardly an inconvenience. Just plan your day around it.

Why can't I ride my motor scooter across a moat intersection onto Loi Kroh Road, when pedestrians wander across all the time? If you want to cross the moat road in a vehicle you have to drive in a huge circle to do so, and drive about 2 km out of your way to travel 30 meters. But, it's the law so I live with it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am very surprised to hear about this law. I was aware that shops are not supposed to sell alchohol during said hours, but I have seen no evidence whatsoever of this ban in any bar or restaurant in Chiang Mai.

As a Canadian, I am well aquainted with liquor laws which are rucking fetarded. We are taught that to step out of doors with an open beer would lead rapidly to the total collapse of civilization! In other countries, this is not evident. Thai lawmakers, like those abroad, are hip to the trick of passing a law which pretends to address the problem (alcoholism, public drunkeness) but in fact does absolutely zero. I will think of them next time my shoes are x-rayed at an airport.

cheers!

t.

Edited by toastie

Apologies.

Last night the Notice and the letter where subject of much comment by Frang customers.

A Thai wife, very well educated lady, read the letter and accompanying lefleats and says words to the effect of

'This is a letter from the Municipality about measures to prevent the spread of FLUE.'

The leaflets also from the Municipality where Requests that Alcohol should not be sold on Buddha Days and did mention the 2-5 time scale.

john

I don't question the funny laws in Thailand. I just try and live with them. Police are paid low salaries which they have to add to with bribes. Some take it to another level and others are pretty level headed guys. We had that old discussion why the Spicey bar was allowed to sell booze after 2 AM when other bars were closed at 1 AM. I think someone said the owner of Spicey was either a policeman or had connections with the police. Who cares? It is what it is. A 3 hour afternoon closure of selling alcohol is hardly an inconvenience. Just plan your day around it.

Why can't I ride my motor scooter across a moat intersection onto Loi Kroh Road, when pedestrians wander across all the time? If you want to cross the moat road in a vehicle you have to drive in a huge circle to do so, and drive about 2 km out of your way to travel 30 meters. But, it's the law so I live with it.

Ehm, that's 1.2 kms. And you can reduce it to 800 meters by some clever back-soi-ing:

post-64232-030519700 1288220708_thumb.pn

And the above is only when you really want to park your bike at the first couple meters on Loi Kroh. It's much less of a circle when you need to be a bit further down.

Yeah, I was in London in the mid Seventies...Carnaby Street, every one feeling grooooooovy.

I'm a tourist. I decide to go to a pub for a pint around 12 or 1 mid-day. Big mistake.

Laaaast Call, Ladies and Gentlemen!

<deleted>? A law dating from the Great War, to get all the munitions plant workers back to the factory?

It's not just Thailand that has these laws......:lol:

Yep, that stank, but look again as that's old hat and it's open-all-hours in places that want it in the UK now; ie, they have moved forward. Here, we're moving backwards, with the powers that be enforcing their petty agenda upon folk. While I see the point of view regards the natives in not being able to (supposedly) purchase booze after 2, what's the deal with hitting pubs and eateries that tourists frequent? They harp on about wanting to get tourism back up and then call for measures like this. Stoooopid. :wacko:

I am very surprised to hear about this law. I was aware that shops are not supposed to sell alchohol during said hours, but I have seen no evidence whatsoever of this ban in any bar or restaurant in Chiang Mai.

As a Canadian, I am well aquainted with liquor laws which are rucking fetarded. We are taught that to step out of doors with an open beer would lead rapidly to the total collapse of civilization! In other countries, this is not evident. Thai lawmakers, like those abroad, are hip to the trick of passing a law which pretends to address the problem (alcoholism, public drunkeness) but in fact does absolutely zero. I will think of them next time my shoes are x-rayed at an airport.

cheers!

t.

At 2:24 in the morning when you posted this you were lucky to see the keyboard.:lol:

Yeah, I was in London in the mid Seventies...Carnaby Street, every one feeling grooooooovy.

I'm a tourist. I decide to go to a pub for a pint around 12 or 1 mid-day. Big mistake.

<deleted>? A law dating from the Great War, to get all the munitions plant workers back to the factory?

Yep, that stank, but look again as that's old hat and it's open-all-hours in places that want it in the UK now; ie, they have moved forward. Here, we're moving backwards, with the powers that be enforcing their petty agenda upon folk. While I see the point of view regards the natives in not being able to (supposedly) purchase booze after 2, what's the deal with hitting pubs and eateries that tourists frequent? They harp on about wanting to get tourism back up and then call for measures like this. Stoooopid. :wacko:

The point about the old UK drinking laws was a very valid one but has long since been scrapped and you can now drink 24hrs a day if you can find somewhere open. Anyway; if you had a pub you were a 'regular' in, you always could stay there in a backroom and drink all day and night. There has never really been a time when you couldn't get a drink if you wanted one badly enough.

In the mid seventies licensing laws in the UK were 11am to 3pm weekdays and noon to 2pm on Sundays. The laws are much more flexible these days but you will still find some pubs following the old ways.

In the mid seventies licensing laws in the UK were 11am to 3pm weekdays and noon to 2pm on Sundays. The laws are much more flexible these days but you will still find some pubs following the old ways.

Why is it that all some people can think of is alcohol. There's a lot more to life than a bottle of booze. "Must have my beer - can't live without it." Grow up.

Today I tried to order a beer at the Tesco food court which I have done many times in the afternoon. Today when I tried to order a beer at about 14:02, a girl came over and handed me a small document in Thai only, apparently the law is being strictly enforced there now.

It has been at Carrefour too, just buy 10 litres or more and you are exempt from the law :)

A Case of beer is close to 10 litres, so that and a couple of bottles of spirits or wine and your right to go.

ROFL - only in Thailand!!! The serious addicts can still get theirs, it's genius!

Why is it that all some people can think of is alcohol. There's a lot more to life than a bottle of booze. "Must have my beer - can't live without it." Grow up.

Tourism is 6.5% of GDP in Thailand. Now I may not be a grown up like you, but I quite like to lounge by the pool supping a cocktail whilst on my holidays.

If I could not legally do that in Phuket, I'd go to Langkawi instead.

You want different laws for farangs. do they have different laws for Thai's where you come from? I supose you are in favor of charging falongs more money.

To quote you "Stoooopid"

Tourism is 6.5% of GDP in Thailand. Now I may not be a grown up like you, but I quite like to lounge by the pool supping a cocktail whilst on my holidays.

As I said before most of the posters can't understand they are not in farong land any more. They came here to get away from farong land. Why any one would come here just to drink in a bar or restuarant between 2:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon or buy it in the store is beyond me.

Why do you still sell alcohol between 2-5pm even after the police have told you not to sell alcohol during those times? :blink:

why dont you ask the same question next time you go in to your local mom and pop shop or anywhere you happen to be next time you buy something from one of these many outlets. and while your at it ask them if they also pay tax on all goods sold too. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Because I could care less about your question...B)

well then as onnut has already stated, you obviously know nothing about how this country works. so why bother passing comment on this thread. whistling.gifwink.gif

I do know about Thailand because I have been living here for 26 years, but you are certainly not the first Idiot I've met here.

As I said before most of the posters can't understand they are not in farong land any more. They came here to get away from farong land. Why any one would come here just to drink in a bar or restuarant between 2:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon or buy it in the store is beyond me.

I heard you the first time. Saying it twice does not make it anymore valid.

Actually I came here to get away from self-righteous people like you.

I guess I shouldnt be surprised about all the comments criticizing people that want to have a beer between the hours of 2-5

If you cant have a beer between 2-5, why allow beer before 2 pm?

Its an absurd abuse of basic liberty

Keep it up Thailand, Cambodia/ Vietnam/ Laos applaud your efforts and thank you for the extra tourists

You want different laws for farangs. do they have different laws for Thai's where you come from? I supose you are in favor of charging falongs more money.

To quote you "Stoooopid"

Its about enforcement -- there is a major double standard when it comes to enforcement and all these petty "laws" do is give extra power to police to "decide" who they will force complicance with

Its basic corruption 101 - make a bunch of petty laws and allow the police to determine enforcement when they see fit

As you say, that was 40 years ago.

Things have changed a lot and there is now a 24/7 booze culture in the UK. It's gone too far the other way in my view.

I heard you the first time. Saying it twice does not make it anymore valid.

Actually I came here to get away from self-righteous people like you.

Well better to be self righteous than falling down drunk who can't buy a drink in a three hour period. And makes a big deal of it. Most of the people who want a drink then buy it before or find a bar that will sell it to them then. As I said some people bring there body here and leave there mind back in farong land.

... snip ... Well better to be self righteous than falling down drunk

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JayJay0,

Framed as a question, that statement becomes extremely interesting, thanks ! Some self-righteous we've met (oh cursed serendipity) seem to emanate they have a personal sense of being "arisen," or "falling up." But, "falling down drunks" are easier to avoid, which is nice.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun OnNut,

... snip ... but at least in Thailand they only make laws so we can break them

That fascinates us, thanks: it makes us want to write a story in which a group of law-makers are engaged in heated debate over whether to enact a law that:

a. would not be fun to break

... or ...

b. no one would ever break

Our understanding is that English common law distinguished suicide by those who were crazy (not criminal) from suicide by those (felo-de-se) who were of "sound mind" and planned it carefully (criminal).

In our humble opinion, Amerikka and Thailand share the best selective law enforcement money can buy.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

orang,

That's quite a trick - to rescue humor and potential from what has come before (mine included)

Plus, no wonder Forbes comes back - he has the handle of the other trick, er, make that solution

Edited by CMX

Well better to be self righteous than falling down drunk who can't buy a drink in a three hour period. And makes a big deal of it. Most of the people who want a drink then buy it before or find a bar that will sell it to them then. As I said some people bring there body here and leave there mind back in farong land.

There is very little worse (if anything) than being self-righteous.

Thanks again for repeating yourself though. You seem to indulge in hearing your own voice (again, a horrible trait).

If all farongs (sic) with your attitude are now here, I'd happily go back...

Edited by OOB

Civil is good.

As per my first hijacked post, alcohol is good for tourism in Thailand the same way as tobacco, ganja and easy sex are. 6.5% of GDP is irrefutably important. Just because I don't personally indulge in alcohol/tobacco/marijuana/sex (delete as appropriate) is not a reasonable argument to say 'don't do it you are not at home now'.

Thailand is losing customers (tourists) with the constant bad news emanating from here...don't provide them with another reason (is my argument).

My local 7/11 sell me beer at any time I want.

They refuse to give me a till reciept between the dodgy times though.

My local bar sell beer at any time I want it, if they didn't, my pals and I would all move to the next bar.

By 11:30 this morning I was a little tipsy already, but luckily I had my m/c helmet on when I drove past the police checkpoint, so it was all OK.

Yeah, I admit I can dodge this admittedly ludicrous law at will.

I've bought alcohol during elections when every bar was in clampdown mode.

Either the little mom and pop stores, or the major wholesalers.

But the OP is refering to the right to be able to sit in a pub, and have a drink, between 2-5 PM.

I am not questioning that at all. Every human being is different, and has different wants and needs. For all we know...perhaps the person who wants a beer in a pub sometime between 2 and 5 PM got up at 5 AM, ran 2 miles, showered and then went to a job helping refugees put their lives back together. I know lots of people who are on the "early" schedule, even after retiring.

For them, their 4PM is my 9PM, and they want a beer, in a pub, dammit!

:bow:

My local 7/11 sell me beer at any time I want.

They refuse to give me a till reciept between the dodgy times though.

My local bar sell beer at any time I want it, if they didn't, my pals and I would all move to the next bar.

By 11:30 this morning I was a little tipsy already, but luckily I had my m/c helmet on when I drove past the police checkpoint, so it was all OK.

Like your style :D good living .......just drive careful for you and everyone else