42 Pedestrian Crossings Become Operational Around Pattaya

Rimmer

42 Pedestrian Crossings become operational around Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- Forty-Two Pedestrian crossings have been installed around Pattaya and on Tuesday Evening the first crossing was declared open by Pattaya’s Mayor. In a ceremony in front of Pattaya Police Station on Pattaya Beach Road, Khun Itipon, declared all the crossings operational and claims they will drastically improve pedestrian safety which is reassuring for the thousands of tourists expected to frequent Pattaya over the coming high season.

Full story and pictures HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2010-10-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

What are these? Just lights and zebra stripes? If so, forget it. I feel sorry for the families I see trying to cross 2nd road at the ped crossings now. They literally run for their lives. And I can't understand some guys who nonchalantly walk across the road expecting everybody to give way, not even looking at the oncoming cars. Crazy.

But, it's still better here than in many other countries. :blink:

This is very unfair to tourists who might assume that the crosswalk is a safe place to cross the street.

Perhaps they should have used a skull and crossbones instead of stripes. Or maybe a flashing light that says run dammit run.

How about this sign???

post-5869-005702600 1288228901_thumb.jpg

42 Pedestrian Crossings,

42 farangs semi sober delusion assumptions of a peacefull holiday in paradise.

70% of Thais with no pre-test studies of road signs,driving a 4+4, feeling I own the road.

good opening in the health care industry in pattaya

Why not make Pattaya pedestrian crossings along the lines of railway level crossings. Have bells, flashing lights and a barrier that comes down to stop the traffic before the pedestrian attempts to cross. At least that way you'd have a chance of making it across.

It's easy to be cynical about the respect that local traffic will show to these crossings but credit to City Hall for at least making the effort.

Why not make Pattaya pedestrian crossings along the lines of railway level crossings. Have bells, flashing lights and a barrier that comes down to stop the traffic before the pedestrian attempts to cross. At least that way you'd have a chance of making it across.

It's easy to be cynical about the respect that local traffic will show to these crossings but credit to City Hall for at least making the effort.

I saw these a few days ago for the first time. They are actually really nice. But I never saw them go red. Just green and then flashing yellow. Unless it turns red, and there is a cop there to stop vehicles (and scooters) from running them, it won't really help. It will for sure highlight that there is a ped crossing, but I didn't see anybody slow down even when people were trying to cross.

But for sure, congrats to city hall for making the extra effort.

70% of Thais with no pre-test studies of road signs,driving a 4+4, feeling I own the road.

Her indoors is doing driving lessons at the moment, she has been told its 2000 bht to pass.

she'll be doing the driving test properly back in England in the coming months.

42 Pedestrian Crossings,

just yesterday i watched the green numbers countdown to the orange

and then the orange numbers count down and then the red light came on

just as a high powered motorbike accelerated like a bat out of hel_l

and passed right through the red light leaving a group of tourist

looking very bewildered :blink:

Verdict as to the effectiveness: NO CHANCE :ph34r:

This is very unfair to tourists who might assume that the crosswalk is a safe place to cross the street.

Perhaps they should have used a skull and crossbones instead of stripes. Or maybe a flashing light that says run dammit run.

42 new killing zones, I hope they are all numbered to help the ambulances locate them.

Guaranteed to cause confusion.

Over the last couple of days I noticed that cars don't know whether to stop or go once a pedestrian has gone (some just don't bother to stop) and, more worringly, some pedestrians think it is safe to cross on those crossings :o

There will be casualties, I am afraid.

42 Pedestrian Crossings,

I drove up and down beach road and 2nd yesterday a few times. I never did see them change to red. They are a bit distracting when flashing yellow. Not sure what to do. They look great, but doesn't look like they are helping much...yet....

42 Pedestrian Crossings,

I drove up and down beach road and 2nd yesterday a few times. I never did see them change to red. They are a bit distracting when flashing yellow. Not sure what to do. They look great, but doesn't look like they are helping much...yet....

there was much cheaper alternative for beach road :whistling:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1263210/Italian-prostitutes-road-sign-warn-motorists-impending-distraction.html

post-6925-0-35161600-1288839866_thumb.jp

There is one on Thonglor here in Bangkok, it is outside Camillian Hospital. This one has lights that turn red to allow pedestrians to cross, you can even push a button which lets the system know someone wants to cross.

all I will say is that it is lucky it is outside a hospital as I am yet to see anyone stop for the red light even when people are crossing the road.

I drove up and down Beach Road and 2nd road again yesterday many times. I have friends in who are staying at the Amari. Still have not seen them turn red. Only flashing yellow. I saw a group of 5 tourists crossing about 20 meters in front of the walkway. So it's not only motorists who don't pay attention to the walkways. :whistling:

There is one on Thonglor here in Bangkok, it is outside Camillian Hospital. This one has lights that turn red to allow pedestrians to cross, you can even push a button which lets the system know someone wants to cross.

all I will say is that it is lucky it is outside a hospital as I am yet to see anyone stop for the red light even when people are crossing the road.

Yes indeed, I nearly got wiped out on that one by a woman who well ran the red the light whilst concentrating on her mobile phone conversation.

42 new killing zones, I hope they are all numbered to help the ambulances locate them.

How dare a motorbike stop? He's going to get rammed up the arse by a Thai who wasn't about to stop. :blink:

:lol:

Sad but true.

Compliance at these red lights is improving by the day. Stopped at about 5 sets today and quite a few over the past 2 days. I'm mainly seeing motorcyclists jumping through.

:lol:

Sad but true.

Compliance at these red lights is improving by the day. Stopped at about 5 sets today and quite a few over the past 2 days. I'm mainly seeing motorcyclists jumping through.

Are the Baht buses stopping yet.

I sense that if they comply, others (except motorbike taxis and few others) will comply.