I'll Opt For Losing Election If It Restores Peace: Abhisit

george

I'll opt for losing election if it restores peace: Abhisit

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva stressed Wednesday that he preferred to lose a general election rather than winning it and causing violence.

He said there "will definitely be a general election next year", adding that he had no intention of staying on until his term completes in early 2012.

"I will opt for losing an election if that will restore peace in the country, rather than achieving an election victory that will lead to violence. I hope the election next year will be smooth. If that is the case, there will be political stability and we will get closer to normalcy," he said.

Abhisit, who is also the Democrat Party leader, was giving his speech on "Thailand's Economic Risks and the Government Cooperation" during a seminar organised by the Economic Reporters Association at the Sofitel Centara Grand Hotel.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-27

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Opt"???

Like it's got anything to do with him anymore.I think he's finally realised he's not running the country and is looking for a way out.

election? Why does he keep assuring us there will be one next year?Is he worried that there might be a coup before then?

What does he know that the Thai electorate don't?

"Opt"???

Like it's got anything to do with him anymore.I think he's finally realised he's not running the country and is looking for a way out.

election? Why does he keep assuring us there will be one next year?Is he worried that there might be a coup before then?

If you check this forum there are lots of people questioning there will be an election. Some Thais do the same. So unfortunately again and again the PM feels a need to re-ensure the people 'yes, there will be elections'. If he doesn't people start to ask why he doesn't say anything, what does he know we don't. It's called a 'no-win' situation, the government will be blamed whatever they say or not say.

you may wonder why someone wants to be a politician.

Edited by rubl

"Opt"???

If you check this forum there are lots of people questioning there will be an election. Some Thais do the same. So unfortunately again and again the PM feels a need to re-ensure the people 'yes, there will be elections'. If he doesn't people start to ask why he doesn't say anything, what does he know we don't. It's called a 'no-win' situation, the government will be blamed whatever they say or not say.

you may wonder why someone wants to be a politician.

Or why someone wants to be an honest politician in Thailand......

I wonder if the UDD would now respond to Abhisit's statement with the threat "If it turns out that Abhisit is re-elected, we will bomb Bangkok."

If such a threat is made prior to the election, would Abhisit then "opt" to lose the election just to ensure that there would be no terrorism? That would basically be surrendering to terrorists.

Edited by hyperdimension

He will be serving a 5 year ban anyway so it's a pointless statement from him.

Your crystal ball seems to work different from mine, dear chap.

As I said before, how can Thailand ever be a democracy when the "norm" for changing a government is either by coup or a court case??

To the critics, what would you have had him say?

Perhaps something like Thaksin, if my side doesn't win, we will destroy the country and burn down Bangkok?

A date would be nice - the sooner the better

23rd of December 2011 at the latest as by law.

As I said before, how can Thailand ever be a democracy when the "norm" for changing a government is either by coup or a court case??

If you change 'when the "norm" for' into 'when the last few times' I could agree with you. Assuming Random's crystal ball works correctly, also the coming change :huh:

Edited by rubl

If you change 'when the "norm" for' into 'when the last few times' I could agree with you. Assuming Random's crystal ball works correctly, also the coming change :huh:

"Last few times"???????

Look back 50....no....100 years and you'll get an idea of the "norm"

Free beer if i win....perhaps

How about free Pepsi Max

You know much as it pains me to say so I believe him. So far he has been more honet than any one in the past ten years and I don't know about the previous ones.

Free beer if i win....perhaps

How about free Pepsi Max

You know much as it pains me to say so I believe him. So far he has been more honet than any one in the past ten years and I don't know about the previous ones.

THis may come as a shock to some but, one of the key elements of being a dishonest politician is to let as many people as possible think you are honest

I wonder if the UDD would now respond to Abhisit's statement with the threat "If it turns out that Abhisit is re-elected, we will bomb Bangkok."

If such a threat is made prior to the election, would Abhisit then "opt" to lose the election just to ensure that there would be no terrorism? That would basically be surrendering to terrorists.

I have to agree. It is not the brightest statement he has made.

THis may come as a shock to some but, one of the key elements of being a dishonest politician is to let as many people as possible think you are honest

So, what does that have to do with our current PM Abhisit ?

So, what does that have to do with our current PM Abhisit ?

You mean there aren't that many people who think Abhisit is honest? so that 'let as many people as possible think ...' have noting to do with Abhisit.

well he also said there would be an election this November to stop the troubles :ermm: maybe he just forgot, again, or maybe he is lining his pockets as quickly as possible like erm erm let me think! same shit different day.

Anyone who followed the events of the Bangkok Burning even casually knows what a totally false assertion this is.

bisit is a good man and about an honest a politician as you are likely to get. I think his statement means its a difficult fix this reconcilliation thing and the thought of losing if could be fixed shows he would give up a lot for that end game. I think he will win and I hope the new governemnt can make it a number one priority with a hug effort, it will need to be, to solve the situation. As we know it takes to 2 to tango and the other dancer may not want to leave their seat, without a stick. As far as the earlier election that was promised is concerned, I thought the UDD failed to take up the offer and it was cancelled.

Who was that bloke who said "Give peace a chance"

Anyone still believing a single word coming out of Abhisit's mouth can only be classified as a delusional fool .

Sssshhh. Don't upset the abhisit fan club of Thai Visa. They have a habit of frothing at the mouth and having cyber tantrums when such unpleasantries are uttered.

Just repeat after me, The Emperor's clothes are beautiful.........................