Anyone Know About Kao Soi?

HalfSquat

Kao Soi is a dish I've seen a couple of times in Chiang mai but not anywhere else I've been.

It is noodles in a light coconutty milk curry with chicken and is very nice.

Is it a northern thing or have I been looking in the wrong places in Bangkok for it?

Or is it known by another name?

Here is a picture of it on a menu - anyone know what is says in Thai?

dsc0098uq.jpg

Thanks!

Try one of the big Food Courts; you'll find it.

In Bangkok? I've never seen it in a food court, could be at one I haven't been to though. There was another thread about this and apparently a noodle restaurant in Siam Square has it but I haven't been. It's really rare here.

Try one of the big Food Courts; you'll find it.

In Bangkok? I've never seen it in a food court, could be at one I haven't been to though. There was another thread about this and apparently a noodle restaurant in Siam Square has it but I haven't been. It's really rare here.

Emporium food court..excellent.

-O

The Chiang Mai version of Kao Soi is properly called 'kao soi Islam', from Burma and ubiquitous in Mae Sot. Real Tai 'kao soi' comes from Yunnan, China, and is similar to 'nam ngiow' in C. Mai and C. Rai, ubiquitous in north Laos. Chiang Saen does it the Lao way i believe.

Kao Soi is traditionally a Northern dish - the only place I've had it in Bangkok is at the 'food court' in Central Lad Phrao. This was a while ago though?!

I now live in the north, and have a VERY nice Kao Soi shop just around the corner from my house. It's awesome with leg pork...!

In answer to the OP's question about the Thai on the menu; it simply says 'Kao Soi moo-bplah-gai'. That just translates to Kao Soi with pork, fish or chicken...

Good luck on your Kao Soi hunt :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, actualy of Burmese origin I believe, as Hardie said, which makes sense given it's un-Thai-like taste, a bit like massaman curry in the South (if you haven't tried that you certainly should). Whenever we ate kao soi in Chiang Mai it was always proceded by a plate of chicken satay, I'm not sure if this is standard practice or unique to that particular (incredibly busy) restaurant. My ex told me the Chiang Rai version is different from Chiang Mai's and superior (yes, she's from Chiang Rai). It's great with other meat too, but I'm not sure I'd describe it as being a "light" dish. But I think your best, and probably most convinient bet is the food courts. Good luck, and try not to get any on your shirt!

Yes, actualy of Burmese origin I believe, as Hardie said, which makes sense given it's un-Thai-like taste, a bit like massaman curry in the South (if you haven't tried that you certainly should). Whenever we ate kao soi in Chiang Mai it was always proceded by a plate of chicken satay, I'm not sure if this is standard practice or unique to that particular (incredibly busy) restaurant. My ex told me the Chiang Rai version is different from Chiang Mai's and superior (yes, she's from Chiang Rai). It's great with other meat too, but I'm not sure I'd describe it as being a "light" dish. But I think your best, and probably most convinient bet is the food courts. Good luck, and try not to get any on your shirt!

Not light for sure as mostly it is made with coconut milk...something my heart doc says is a NO NO! :( :( :(

Ingredients

4 ounces rice noodles

1 tbs chopped garlic

1 tbs red curry paste

1/2 cup coconut milk

4 ounces ground pork

one cup chicken stock

1 tbs curry powder - pong gari

a pinch of turmeric powder

2 tbs fish sauce - nam pla

a pinch of palm sugar

a tsp lime juice

You will also need - for the Garnish

spring onions, sliced shallots and lime wedges

Method - noodles

1. Soak noodles in cool water for 15-30 minutes then drain for use.

2. Bring a pan of water to the boil, then place the noodles in a wire basket or strainer and dip the noodles in the water for a few seconds (no more)

3. drain them and transfer to the serving plate.

Method - Sauce

1. In a wok, heat the coconut milk

2. stir in the curry paste until the aroma is brought out and a thin film of oil separates out

3. add the garlic and stir fry for about 30 seconds

4. Add the remaining ingredients except the pork, and stir until the sauce thickens slightly.

5. Add the pork

6. continue to stir until the meat is cooked through.

7. Pour the sauce over the noodles.

Garnish with spring onions, sliced shallots and lime wedges.

@Poorsucker

What type of Khao Soy is this? Sounds good, I'll try it out at somepoint, but it's very different from the Khao Soy's I've had in the Chiang Mai area. It's always been flat egg noodles, never rice noodles. Is this a Chiang Rai version?

Last time I was up in Chiang Mai the owner of the little place I was staying in got her mum to show me how they make Khao Soy Gai and it was very different to this. But as many other people have said there are numerous versions around.

I'll type out her recipe on here when I have more time.

Not light for sure as mostly it is made with coconut milk...something my heart doc says is a NO NO! :( :( :(

Your doc might be a little out of date on this. Coconut extract has lots of health benefits, which nowadays are thought to outweigh any negatives (ie presence of saturated fat).

But real khao soy has no coconut milk. That was a Chiang Mai addition. If you eat khao soy in Shan or Yunnanese districts of northern Thailand, such as Ban Luang, Mae Salong, etc, you'll see they typically do not use coconut milk unless catering to tourists. In Luang Prabang, where it is also possible, the use of coconut extract is also uncommon. In all three cases (Shan, Yunnanese, Lao) coconut products are not typical to the cuisine.

The name has nothing to do with 'cut rice' although many Thais think so. It's from the Shan/Burmese name for noodles, khauk swe. the dtopr of final /k/ in khauk (which is barely pronounced anyway, just a glottal stop), and when Thais pronounce 'swe' it comes out 'soy.'

The Wiki article is also wrong about the type of noodles used. They are made from wheat flour mixed with egg. No rice.

The food court at The Emporium has a vendor who makes khao soy.

Your doc might be a little out of date on this. Coconut extract has lots of health benefits, which nowadays are thought to outweigh any negatives (ie presence of saturated fat).

But real khao soy has no coconut milk. That was a Chiang Mai addition. If you eat khao soy in Shan or Yunnanese districts of northern Thailand, such as Ban Luang, Mae Salong, etc, you'll see they typically do not use coconut milk unless catering to tourists. In Luang Prabang, where it is also possible, the use of coconut extract is also uncommon. In all three cases (Shan, Yunnanese, Lao) coconut products are not typical to the cuisine.

The name has nothing to do with 'cut rice' although many Thais think so. It's from the Shan/Burmese name for noodles, khauk swe. the dtopr of final /k/ in khauk (which is barely pronounced anyway, just a glottal stop), and when Thais pronounce 'swe' it comes out 'soy.'

The Wiki article is also wrong about the type of noodles used. They are made from wheat flour mixed with egg. No rice.

The food court at The Emporium has a vendor who makes khao soy.

Thanks. But I have a partial blockage of an artery, so this is a big deal for me. I'm trying to do a veggie diet...but it ain't easy. I know there are some health benefits, but the risks outweigh the benefits. I have high cholesterol anyway, so coconut milk doesn't help. Here's an article off the web...

------------------------------

I know it sounds innocent enough but coconut milk is LOADED with calories, total fat grams and saturated fat grams. You don’t believe me? Well, 1 cup of canned coconut milk usually contains 445 calories, 48 grams of fat and 43 grams of saturated fat.

-----------------------------

Just too much for me to take. I know you only use a little...but....

I saw an article on Bill Clinton's new health program. He was about to either have a multiple heart bypass, or stents, etc...but went on this radical diet and he has lost weight, his cholesterol is down significantly, and his artery blocks have actually reduced in size. He no longer has to consider a bypass. Amazing! How did this happen. It's radical. He eats nothing that has a face or a mother. Total vegan diet. I don't think I can do that...but I'm trying the best I can.

I did find that recipe for Khao Soy that doesn't use coconut milk and wifey is going to try it. Great alternative.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's cholesterol that blocks arteries. Coconut contains no cholesterol, and its consumption appears to lower total blood cholesterol levels.

Here's a recent study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2937313/?tool=pubmed

Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, the kind one finds in most people's everyday diets, are much worse for you in terms of promoting coronary heart disease than coconut. A comprehensive review of studies of trans fats published in 2006 in the New England Journal of Medicine reported a strong and reliable connection between trans fat (unsaturated fat with trans-isomer fatty acid, the norm for vegetable cooking oils) consumption and CHD, concluding that "On a per-calorie basis, trans fats appear to increase the risk of coronary heart disease more than any other macronutrient, conferring a substantially increased risk at low levels of consumption (1 to 3% of total energy intake)". The study estimated that between 30,000 and 100,000 cardiac deaths per year in the United States are attributable to the consumption of trans fats.

Coconut oil/milk/extract contains no trans fats.

But enjoy your khao soy without coconut milk. I prefer it that way myself ;)

It's cholesterol that blocks arteries. Coconut contains no cholesterol, and its consumption appears to lower total blood cholesterol levels.

Here's a recent study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2937313/?tool=pubmed

Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, the kind one finds in most people's everyday diets, are much worse for you in terms of promoting coronary heart disease than coconut. A comprehensive review of studies of trans fats published in 2006 in the New England Journal of Medicine reported a strong and reliable connection between trans fat (unsaturated fat with trans-isomer fatty acid, the norm for vegetable cooking oils) consumption and CHD, concluding that "On a per-calorie basis, trans fats appear to increase the risk of coronary heart disease more than any other macronutrient, conferring a substantially increased risk at low levels of consumption (1 to 3% of total energy intake)". The study estimated that between 30,000 and 100,000 cardiac deaths per year in the United States are attributable to the consumption of trans fats.

Coconut oil/milk/extract contains no trans fats.

But enjoy your khao soy without coconut milk. I prefer it that way myself ;)

Great info. I will have to do some more research on this for sure. I do love curry...and wifey is starting to refuse to make it for me after what the doc said!

:jap:

Gee wiz.It's not like you are going to eat it everyday.A little coconut milk never killed anyone.Unless you are allergic to it.

I think you missed my previous post. I have a fairly decent blockage of a major artery. If I don't change my lifestyle, I will either have to have a stent or a bypass. Sure, a little coconut milk can't hurt. But combine that with a little cheese, a little sausage, a few potato chips, some good ice cream every once in a while, a little fish and chips, some french fries. As you can see, it can add up quickly. And I'm not perfect, so some of these foods do slip in from time to time. So I try to be diligent and try and stave off this impending operation. I figure if Bill Clinton can do it, so can I!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was going to start a thread asking "Errr where can I find kao soy in BKK", and then stumbled on this one during my pre-post due dilligence. I've summerized below the 8 places in this thread where people have found kao soy here in Bangkok. To these 8 places I'll add the one place that I know of:

Heading south on Sukumvit soi 22, about 100m past the Queen's Park Plaza hotel on the LH side. It's just past a small sub-soi with many massage places and across soi 22 from an Italian resturant.

If people know of other places in BKK feel free to update the list below...

Pahonyothin Soi 7 (vegitarian version)

Apparently a noodle restaurant in Siam Square (Cafe de Tuc ??)

Pantip Plaza foodcourt

Ground floor of Fortune Plaza on Ratchada

Emporium food court

Food court at Queen Sirikit Convention center

Loft in Central Chidlom

S&P resturant chain