Mae Sai Update

Gonzo the Face

Anybody here do a Mae Sai Visa run recently.

With the steady falling of the dollar has the Burma side changed their entry fee?

For a long time it was US$10 or 500 baht ......

It has been some time since I have been to Mae Sai so I am not too sure its still the same.

Any current update this morning would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gonzo

I did the trip about 4 weeks ago. It was $11 or 500Bht but I think I read that they were now NOT accepting $.

Most days they are not accepting $ at all so advisable to have the 500 Baht ready. Also; they do not give change so make sure you have exactly 500 or your 1,000 Baht note will vanish before your eyes. On my last trip both the guy's in front and behind me tried to pay in $ and they got really pissed off and threatened not to let them enter Myanmar at all. A lot of heavily armed soldiers around the border that day too so maybe some big chief or the like visiting the area.

I was just in Mae Sai a couple of days ago for some shopping.

Didn't go to Tachilek this time, so I don't know about prices.

But if you want to go to Chiang Saen, the road from Mae Sai

really sucks because of road construction. No real pavement,

LOTS of mud and bad tracks for 90% of the road.

Allow plenty of time :)

Most days they are not accepting $ at all so advisable to have the 500 Baht ready. Also; they do not give change so make sure you have exactly 500 or your 1,000 Baht note will vanish before your eyes. On my last trip both the guy's in front and behind me tried to pay in $ and they got really pissed off and threatened not to let them enter Myanmar at all. A lot of heavily armed soldiers around the border that day too so maybe some big chief or the like visiting the area.

Possibly due to the so-called 'elections' ?

Does creat some food for thought.

With the dropping value of the US$ , $10. would equate to somewhere on the south side of 300 baht...... I would wonder if they took US$'s at all . Would seem like 500 baht would require almost US#17.

With the number of those paying the fee daily in Tachalek, it could be quite a cash cow for somebody...

I was just there last Weds., 9 days ago, changing my visa. I took along a crisp perfect $10 bill and had it accepted, no problems. I was also worried about the falling value of the dollar and them maybe wanting the 500B instead, but over the years I've picked up the Burmese for 'hello' and 'thank you very much' and I think this aided in making me an agreeable passer-thru. (For many others I definitely ask for 500B right off the top.) I also say it like I know what I'm saying, and certainly only speak Eng to them otherwise, no Thai. You wouldn't want to speak Thai to the Burmese passport control, just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I paid my 10 bucks, went dvd shopping n came back. All was good. I'll add that the noodle shop on the corner of the main road from the Mae Sai has good noodles and makes their own kanom jeep - shu mai. I was bummed the kanom jeeps were already sold out when I got there to catch my bus back to CM.

Anyway, I paid my 10 bucks, went dvd shopping n came back. All was good. I'll add that the noodle shop on the corner of the main road from the Mae Sai has good noodles and makes their own kanom jeep - shu mai. I was bummed the kanom jeeps were already sold out when I got there to catch my bus back to CM.

RTD thanks for you input and sorry about your loss of snack....

Perhaps something like the following could hold you over for a while.... gen - u - wine, Burmese [read Northern Shan Snack made and presented exclusively at The Pun Pun....

post-22124-062050300 1288329648_thumb.jp

PS .... that dark stuff in the little bowl is homemade sauerkraut. I know, I know, but it made a believer out of me. It tastes great....

G

• 2 weeks later...

I need to do a Visa run next week and noticed on TV that Burma has elections imminently and that the Mae Sai border is to be closed? Does anyone have any info on this? Appeciated.

New to use. May want to post his question on the VISA Forum or Chiang Rai Forum. Besides their election is tomorrow.

Edited by gotlost