Foreigners To Pay More On Thai Airways

george

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not used Thai Airways for over four years and I was the fourth person on the planet to become a Thai frequent flier ! A shit airline with antique planes, discrimination and to quote CEO Toxin, " Thai service sucks". He must regret having a Kiwi journo behind hin who spoke Thai ! I would rather crawl than use the worlds' worst airline..............

I have not used Thai Airways for over four years and I was the fourth person on the planet to become a Thai frequent flier ! A shit airline with antique planes, discrimination and to quote CEO Toxin, " Thai service sucks". He must regret having a Kiwi journo behind hin who spoke Thai ! I would rather crawl than use the worlds' worst airline..............

Personally I would be satisfied with being treated in an equal manner to a Thia who has become a resident in my country.

That truly would seem fair to me, Thailand has a long ways to go before that is going to happen.

For 20 years I've advocated a straight-forward, simple way to respond to this sort of thing:

Double-pricing in reverse.

For example, I'm a U.S. citizen. Therefore, if Thai Air wants 2 prices, then I support the U.S. imposing 2 prices on U.S. carriers, one for Thais on a tit-for-tat proportional basis. That is, if foreigners have to pay, say, twice what Thais do, then let Thais -- by law -- pay twice on U.S. carriers what U.S. citizens pay (excluding from the higher price ethnic Thais who are also U.S. citizens).

And the idea is expandable. A foreigner can't buy land in Thailand? -- fine, that's the nation's sovereign right to decide. But I've actually written my political representatives in the past [in the context of China, not Thailand] advocating reciprocal laws: "Our nationals can't buy property in your country, so your nationals can't buy property in ours."

Some have argued with me this amounts to interfering in another nation's affairs. No, it absolutely does not. As I said, any country has the right to determine what happens within it's own borders, within *very* broad limits. By "broad limits" I mean I don't see a foreign government's expression of concern regarding human rights to the government of a country like Burma as "interference." After all, a foreign government can choose to hold an opinion and restrict its' nationals activities with or in the country in question. That applies to all countries.

I've flown Thai Air quite a few times, and always found the service satisfactory -- and that was at *worst*; at times it has been absolutely first class.

If the management there follows through with this plan, that will make the decision never to fly the airline again and not to recommend it to any non-Thai drop-dead easy. "I won't, and you shouldn't."

Hm. Hope I don't get flamed on this, but IMHO such an approach is valid.

Edited by MekhongKurt

If I pay a higher fare, than my Thai wife sitting next to me, will I get more Royal-Orchid airmiles than her ?

On T international flights you only get 50 %of air miles on status W-V but 100% on Y...etc.

Domestic tends to all be the same (TG) so side my side probabally No unless you move up front behind the driver....125%... :o

If anyone has any feedback on the Royal Orchid Plus Frequent Flyer Program or a comparison to other Frequent Flyer Programs I'd be most appreciative. I'm generally flying to HK, Taiwan, Japan and Australia.

Many thanks

Charles

This decision seems to me to be entirely weird at a time when Thailand is struggling to attract visitors post the Tsunami.

Surely it sends the wrong message to foreigners even though we all know there's a "Thai Price" for everything and another for the rest of us :o It's normally something you find out quickly after you arrive!

Five years ago the price for the CNX - MHS route was 390 baht. It seems that they had a rush of blood and decided that this was too cheap so up it just a little to 900 baht or thereabouts.....some jump that was.

If they decide to do it on this route fine but if they implement it on all routes then they just lost me as a passenger......

And while I am about it with all the whining and whinging ( I suspect someone will bother to call it that so u can shove it mate before u even start).....dont bother trying to complain to them...if they are anything like Bangkok Airways you will get nowhere. Bkk Air are completely unprofessional when it comes to handling any sort of complaint.

If anyone has any feedback on the Royal Orchid Plus Frequent Flyer Program or a comparison to other Frequent Flyer Programs I'd be most appreciative. I'm generally flying to HK, Taiwan, Japan and Australia.

I'm a Gold member, but it seems to count for very little. It is almost impossible to get Thai to answer the phone, even on the special number for Gold members. I recently took three flights to and within Europe, and no miles were credited for two of them even though my membership number was quoted when the booking was made and when I checked in for the flights. Their excuse, after I waited 30 minutes for service at the Silom office was "system error". Over a week later, they still have not been credited. Several times when I have tried to check my mileage on their web site it doesn't work.

Their aircraft on long haul seem to be the oldest in their fleet, and they STILL don't in my experience have seatback screens even in business when many airlines have them in economy.

I took an overnight flight from Dubai to Bangkok last year, when two guys decided to have a fight (over someone pushing a seat back, I believe) which woke the entire plane. Where were the crew to deal with a potential dangerous situation? In hiding, to avoid embarrassing confrontation. That REALLY made me worry about how they'd act in an emergency.

In my experience, you either get a very good crew or a very bad crew. They'll either be through the plane every 15 minutes with soft drinks throughout a 12 hour flight, or not be seen at all except at meal times.

On the plus side, I do find they have more leg space in ecomomy than other airlines (this has been noted in surveys I've seen).

Overall, I'd much prefer to use Singapore out of BKK (although they can be a bit snooty sometimes). But do I want to spend another three hours or so flying via Singapore, extending already long journeys? Damned if I use them, damned if I don't.

One more thing. No-one could deny that the female crew often look stunning in their colourful outfits. A great advertisement for the airline and the country. WHY then, do they change into such ordinary drab uniforms in washed out purple for landing and walking through the airports of the world. Absolute madness.

Foreigners to pay more on Thai Airways

The price for foreigners will be raised from Bt1,070 per trip to Bt1,500 in October

In a further press realease it was also added that short, dark skinned girls would have to pay bt1,400 up from bt1,070.

Anybody that looked remotley Muslim would be charged Bt1,700 also up from bt1,070.

When questioned further exactly who was eligable for the original prices, a whiteskinned spokesperson for Thai Airways alledgedly added "only the models from the skin whitening adverts on the telly are eligable for that fare".....alledgedly

In Austria if the tourists from Germany come, they pay the double price in the west, than local people. It is nowhere written (I think), just if you ask with the strong west austrian dialect for a ticket for whatever you get a different price.

interesting.

WHO told u about such a procedure???

it is true that ppl not living within a certain region (btw, that includes not only germans but austrians as well) do receive special discount e.g. for their ski pass BUT

1) this has nothing to do with the ability to speak any dialect

2) discounts are granted only if applying person can PROOVE permanent residency

now, back to thailand related topic(s): if TG demands such alike proove they certainly would have to offer at least THREE different rates for:

1) real pure thai (any dialect spoken?)

2) expats (better not mention their dialect)

3) real pure alien (who cares about dialect? I am a tourist!)

Unfortunately it is a matter of fact that most ppl in category 3 (alien) won't know about this (intended) new pricing system anyhow. They book via travel agents and either accept or not accept the offered TG rates...

Haven't read every post, so sorry for any duplication. Every time i go to LOS, i try almost every airline for prices.....except Thai Air. I used to phone them but they'd be a lot more expensive. When i questioned them, why are you more expensive than the others i'd tried? I always got the response "that's because we are better than them" !! Yeah, right. Needless to say, they are so good, that i don't even bother ringing them for even a price any more. I would have to be absolutely desperate to fly with them again.

Mr BoJ

[Royal Orchid Plus Frequent Flyer Program or a comparison to other Frequent Flyer Programs I'd be most appreciative. I'm generally flying to HK, Taiwan, Japan and Australia.

I'm a Gold member, but it seems to count for very little. It is almost impossible to get Thai to answer the phone, even on the special number for Gold members. I recently took three flights to and within Europe, and no miles were credited for two of them even though my membership number was quoted when the booking was made and when I checked in for the flights. Their excuse, after I waited 30 minutes for service at the Silom office was "system error". Over a week later, they still have not been credited. Several times when I have tried to check my mileage on their web site it doesn't work.

"Over a week later, they still have not been credited."

I had same problem as illustrated a number of times on forum but took me almost 6 months to get right .

Also you must be aware that from last June 1st they dropped miles award from flight status levels W-V.(cheep charlie low lifers)..recently re adjusted after a world wide outcry from uz all and now give.......without losing face ...50%. :o

When i questioned them, why are you more expensive than the others i'd tried? I always got the response "that's because we are better than them" !!

At the THAI ticket office in Chiang Mai, I once actually had the unmitigated audacity to question some of the Royal Orchid Plus frequent flier program policies as they compare to those of other airlines' programs. I was told to my face by a TG senior customer service representative (and have one of my Thai friends as a witness), "You can't compare us with any other airline". I suppose there is no arguing the point...

The OvenMan's suggested new slogan for Thai International: Fly THAI - It's Beyond Compare! (They are welcome to use this if they throw some bonus miles in my ROP account.) :o

It makes perfect sence when you are trying to eliminate the boarders to make it so people have to fly out of the country. They make it sound good but you know Thais.

@George when you post things like this from the Nation why don't you provide a link to the article?

SIEM REAP -- Tourists may in the near future enjoy immigration privileges to travel in five Southeast Asian countries with a single visa.

The foreign ministers of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma and Laos will discuss the issue when they meet here on Friday. The two-day meeting will convene under the "Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation (Acmecs) umbrella.

"The one-visa, five-countries scheme proposed by Thailand is aimed at boosting tourism throughout the region. Its character will be along similar lines to that of the Schengen visa for European countries, by which a tourist can travel with a single visa," Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon said today [Thursday] on arriving in Siem Reap.

The idea aims to help Acmecs countries that do not have embassies in many countries and aid potential visitors who do not have convenient access to the embassies of their intended country of destination.

"All five countries have agreed in principle to the Thai initiative. We are open, however, if not all countries are ready to enter the scheme. Countries that are ready can start first and the rest can join later," Kanthati said.

The Nation Published on Aug 04 , 2005

The Nation

Edited by yamaharr1

SIEM REAP -- Tourists may in the near future enjoy immigration privileges to travel in five Southeast Asian countries with a single visa.

Sounds great in principle but it also reads like the type of policy change that never gets off the ground because one ministry winds up stepping on the toes of another's fiefdom. This isn't the first time the regional single-visa concept has been touted.

Yes it would be nice, but for those doing visa runs where are they going to run to now?

So jack up the airline prices and the visa runners will have to pay a heck of a lot more.

I seen a post by another member saying "this is to test the waters."

I fully agree, and if this type of visa goes into effect now you know why. Get as much money from the Foreigners but lets not catch any Thais in the middle if they have to travel outside of Thailand.

Are there any laws in Thailand on Racisim?

Edited by yamaharr1

i think you will find this is illegal under the constitution of thailand and that all it needs is someone to take them to court

i quote

" Section 24. All persons shall enjoy rights and liberties

subject to the provisions of the Constitution.

Man and woman shall have equal rights.

The restriction of rights and liberties which is

contrary to the will of the provisions of the Constitution can

not be done.

Section 25. All persons are equal before the law and

shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Section 62. The State should promote friendly relations

with other countries and adopt the principle of reciprocity.

technically this is aimed at thai people, however, section 25 and 62 would hold weight for any person in thailand.

I don't know if any of you have flown Thai air recently, I have and it is just a step above China Air...which ain't saying much...and the fares and not competively priced either. For my money I avoid Thai Air, China Air, Korea Air, and NorhWest and Fly Cathay or Japan Air...much better value for the dollar and a far more comfortable flight.

As I remember (my last Thai Air flight was 5 years ago) the food was shit, movies horrid and the seats could only be described as "punitive.

Cordially,

Hunter

Slightly off-topic but... this story reminds me of not so many years back when UBC was complaining about lack of customers. So what did UBC do? The obvious of course - increase its fees to make up for the loss of revenue !! TIT If companies like UBC actually REDUCED their rates, I for one would use their service and they would have so many customers, they wouldn't have time to complain. The word 'marketing' is in the Thai language, but it makes you wonder why it's there. Like some other words e.g. quality, honesty and many others.

Edited by apex2000

EVA Air are great, I normally only fly business class and can recomend them highly, I have also heard good things about their premium economy class

Thanks, Toni. Our travel agent recommended them to me. She (a Thai here in So Cal) said that thier premium economy class is at least comparable to Thai Air's Business Class, at half the cost! Looks like that will be our carrier next year.

Slightly off-topic but... this story reminds me of not so many years back when UBC was complaining about lack of customers. So what did UBC do? The obvious of course - increase its fees to make up for the loss of revenue !! TIT If companies like UBC actually REDUCED their rates, I for one would use their service and they would have so many customers, they wouldn't have time to complain. The word 'marketing' is in the Thai language, but it makes you wonder why it's there. Like some other words e.g. quality, honesty and many others.

Reducing your rates may bring more customers but it is not usually the key to making a larger profit. Often it means twice the work with equal reward.

I think raising rates is certainly acceptable as long as service improves. Thai airlines is at the bottom of the heap now in service and its prices are trying to remain higher than ever.

They seem convinced that they are the best quality.

It is likely that corruption and free VIP trips for politicians, royalty, and people with connections is cutting away alot of the Thai airlines profit. In effect, you are paying for other peoples' tickets every time you board their aircraft.

Cut the free tickets and VIP treatments and Thai airlines wouldn't need to create a double standard.

What's the experience and general opinion of EVA here?

GR

I've flown EVA only twice, both times to Los Angeles, and found it to be great. I was in their premium economy section (Evergreen Deluxe, I think) and it was for all intent and purposes every bit as good as many other airlines' business class. The fare when I flew it last year, with legs to and from Texas included, was only about 42,000 baht -- only 5,000 baht more than ordinary economy.

It's worth mentioning that sometime between when I flew with them (1997 and 2004) the Chiang Kai Shek Airport in Taipei was VASTLY improved in terms of services and facilities for transit passengers. In 1997 our flight landed at something like 8:00 P.M. I bumped into an American acquaintance from here in the transit area who wanted to get something to eat. I remembered where a cafe is that accepts U.S. dollars, so I took him there -- and it was closed, the sign saying it was open something like 10:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M. only. And there wasn't a single place open -- no other food outlets existed, no bars, no book shops, nothing. Of course, as economy passengers, we had no lounge privileges, either. But last year all that had changed (except I still had no lounge priviliges, of course, but that's fair enough), and it made the wait far more pleasant -- and my flight back landed there at about 5:00 A.M.

Unless something has gone drastically wrong with the airline just in the last few weeks (the last time a friend flew on it and reported it to be great as ever), I always recommend people look into whether EVA serves their destination -- anywhere.

Cheers!

Edited by MekhongKurt