Windows Boot

yotspeed

Have installed Ubuntu 10.04 and very happy with it indeed. Went down the recommended route; loaded onto memory stick for trial then partitioned the HD. Have used Windows XP less and less as I've got more used to Ubuntu. However, and until I can get the hang of some of the Linux software I still need to boot windows for certain applications such as Corel Draw, Nexus Radio, Adobe Photo Shop (trying Gimp) and IE8 (for certain web sites that will not load using Firefox).

Have been booting W-XP from the (partitioned HD) and it is always slow to get to where you can use, but hey, nip off and make a cup of coffee..... The other day it just would not start and locked out during boot up. Can get to the Windows screen where you have the option to start in safe mode, normally, or last best configuration. Tried them all and all that happens I get a blank screen with a (working) cursor. Only way to get out of this is hold down the power button on the Acer desk top until it turns off. But it does not turn off fully as the speakers and mouse are still powered up after computer power light goes out.

Tried booting from the Disc drive using my W-XP disc and it says there is a problem with the hardware and I should run check disc - looks like it might well be to do with the partitioning???

Have loaded VM Virtual Box and can now run W-XP inside Linux but do not have the disc to load the various programmes such as Photoshop, and Corel Draw.

Anyone else had the same problems and how did you fix it??

Thanks in advance - YS

Interesting (as in I am glad it is not my) problem

I have been thinking for a few minutes about this and have no good suggestions. My only comment would be that anything that involves re-installing XP will probably mess up your Ubuntu boot manager locking you out of Ubuntu as well, untii you can recover it.

Maybe this is God's way of telling you it is time to dump the dual boot and make more use of your vritual box :D

My only advice is tread carefully and I shall be watching this thread with interest hoping somebody more clever than me has some good tips for you which I can learn from

Good luck

Edit

I assume you have done all the obvious things like unplugging unneaded hardware and if you have a desktop checking that video cards etc are properly installed. I would not place too much hope on any of that working though because if I understand your post correctly Ubuntu is happy, but then again never underestimate the ability of Windows to mess things up

Edited by thaimite

Have been booting W-XP from the (partitioned HD) and it is always slow to get to where you can use, but hey, nip off and make a cup of coffee..... The other day it just would not start and locked out during boot up. Can get to the Windows screen where you have the option to start in safe mode, normally, or last best configuration. Tried them all and all that happens I get a blank screen with a (working) cursor.

Can you get to the Welcome screen? What about BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death)? If you can somehow manage get into Windows, download and run BlueScreenView as well as check the Event Viewer logs for errors.

Edited by Supernova

I have been thinking for a few minutes about this and have no good suggestions. My only comment would be that anything that involves re-installing XP will probably mess up your Ubuntu boot manager locking you out of Ubuntu as well, untii you can recover it.

Maybe this is God's way of telling you it is time to dump the dual boot and make more use of your vritual box :D

My only advice is tread carefully and I shall be watching this thread with interest hoping somebody more clever than me has some good tips for you which I can learn from

Good luck

Edit

I assume you have done all the obvious things like unplugging unneaded hardware and if you have a desktop checking that video cards etc are properly installed. I would not place too much hope on any of that working though because if I understand your post correctly Ubuntu is happy, but then again never underestimate the ability of Windows to mess things up

Yes, Ubuntu appears to be happy as everything seems to be working fine (kiss of death for sure!!) One thing I have noticed though; I get a full screen 'green flash' between Ubuntu loading and then actually opening at the user log in. Might be nothing?? Also my initial thought is that it might be something to do with the video driver as when I first experienced the problem with booting W-XP from the prompt (partition) the screen went blank and then the monitor went into 'Auto Configuration' before locking out completely at a blank screen.

I did run a disk check with Ubuntu system disk utility and it says on Smart data check of the HD that there are 2 bad sectors. Don't know what that means but it does not sound good!

In the early days playing around with Linux (last couple of weeks) I also downloaded Mint onto a DVD and ran that (from the disc drive) a couple of times but never loaded it onto the HD (hence my notice of the 'green-flash'). Have not installed any new hardware and the only plug in I have used is a thumb drive for copying files and transferring to my other desk top. This thumb drive is the one I originally loaded Ubuntu on - never wiped it as I figured I might well load on my other computer.

Yes, my big worry is that I might somehow lock my self out of Ubuntu in trying to solve this Win issue!!

Have been booting W-XP from the (partitioned HD) and it is always slow to get to where you can use, but hey, nip off and make a cup of coffee..... The other day it just would not start and locked out during boot up. Can get to the Windows screen where you have the option to start in safe mode, normally, or last best configuration. Tried them all and all that happens I get a blank screen with a (working) cursor.

Can you get to the Welcome screen? What about BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death)? If you can somehow manage get into Windows, download and run BlueScreenView as well as check the Event Viewer logs for errors.

Can get as far as Win XP windows logo then it locks out before reaching the welcome screen. But as mentioned, the mouse and speakers are powered up; mouse will move the cursor on the blank screen.

One item that might be a clue; when on Ubuntu I was asked to load an nVidia driver update, but think that was a few days at least before the problems started. Have started running some checks through some of the nVidia forums and seems there might be some issues between later drivers and Win XP??

Your recommended method for completely separate partitions seems to be the way to go though.

Good luck

Edit

Yes, Ubuntu appears to be happy as everything seems to be working fine (kiss of death for sure!!) One thing I have noticed though; I get a full screen 'green flash' between Ubuntu loading and then actually opening at the user log in. Might be nothing?? Also my initial thought is that it might be something to do with the video driver as when I first experienced the problem with booting W-XP from the prompt (partition) the screen went blank and then the monitor went into 'Auto Configuration' before locking out completely at a blank screen.

I did run a disk check with Ubuntu system disk utility and it says on Smart data check of the HD that there are 2 bad sectors. Don't know what that means but it does not sound good!

In the early days playing around with Linux (last couple of weeks) I also downloaded Mint onto a DVD and ran that (from the disc drive) a couple of times but never loaded it onto the HD (hence my notice of the 'green-flash'). Have not installed any new hardware and the only plug in I have used is a thumb drive for copying files and transferring to my other desk top. This thumb drive is the one I originally loaded Ubuntu on - never wiped it as I figured I might well load on my other computer.

Yes, my big worry is that I might somehow lock my self out of Ubuntu in trying to solve this Win issue!!

Another long shot it may be a memory problem. Have you tried removing and reseating your RAM?

The hard disk bad sectors may mean a lot or nothing!!

You can probably find a tool in Ubuntu to fix hard disk errors. Normally when the Hard disk finds errors it will move data to another unused sector and mark the area as bad

A

lthough you can do a check disk and repair iin Ubuntu I am not sure if iyt will work on your Windows NTFS system

Good luck

Edit

Another long shot it may be a memory problem. Have you tried removing and reseating your RAM?

The hard disk bad sectors may mean a lot or nothing!!

You can probably find a tool in Ubuntu to fix hard disk errors. Normally when the Hard disk finds errors it will move data to another unused sector and mark the area as bad

Although you can do a check disk and repair iin Ubuntu I am not sure if it will work on your Windows NTFS partitions

Dont worry about that... you have a good way of recovering your boot environment here

https://help.ubuntu....community/Grub2

Scroll down to method 3

I don't know if it is better than the other two but that's what I use when I write restore instructions for partition backups...

(if anyone clone to another disk you need to match /etc/fstab with your swap partition)

METHOD 3 - CHROOT

This method of installation uses the chroot command to gain access to the broken system's files. Once the chroot command is issued, the LiveCD treats the broken system's / as its own. Commands run in a chroot environment will affect the broken systems filesystems and not those of the LiveCD.

1. Boot to the LiveCD Desktop (Ubuntu 9.10 or later). Please note that the Live CD must be the same as the system you are fixing - either 32-bit or 64-bit (if not then the chroot will fail).
  2. Open a terminal - Applications, Accessories, Terminal.
  3. Determine your normal system partition - (the switch is a lowercase "L")sudo fdisk -l
    • If you aren't sure, rundf -Th. Look for the correct disk size and ext3 or ext4 format.

Mount your normal system partition:

• Substitute the correct partition: sda1, sdb5, etc.

sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt # Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

<li>Only if you have a separate boot partition:

• sdYY is the /boot partition designation (for example sdb3)
  • sudo mount /dev/sdYY /mnt/boot

<li>Mount the critical virtual filesystems:sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts

sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc

sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys<li>Chroot into your normal system device:sudo chroot /mnt<li>If there is no /boot/grub/grub.cfg or it's not correct, create one usingupdate-grub<li>Reinstall GRUB 2:

• Substitute the correct device - sda, sdb, etc. Do not specify a partition number.

grub-install /dev/sdX

<li>Verify the install (use the correct device, for example sda. Do not specify a partition): sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX<li>Exit chroot: CTRL-D on keyboard<li>Unmount virtual filesystems:sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts

sudo umount /mnt/dev

sudo umount /mnt/proc

sudo umount /mnt/sys

• If you mounted a separate /boot partition:sudo umount /mnt/boot

<li>Unmount the LiveCD's /usr directory:sudo umount /mnt/usr<li>Unmount last device:sudo umount /mnt<li>Reboot.sudo reboot

Good advice. Just recently I ran into a problem on one of my older PCs where Windows XP would hang during startup (was working fine the last time I used the machine). Reseating the RAM modules fixed the problem.

One item that might be a clue; when on Ubuntu I was asked to load an nVidia driver update, but think that was a few days at least before the problems started. Have started running some checks through some of the nVidia forums and seems there might be some issues between later drivers and Win XP??

Windows startup problems usually stem from incompatible drivers (RAM issues aside). But then again, hard disk or profile corruption could also cause the startup process to hang. Difficult to troubleshoot to say the least... BTW, whatever updates you load on Ubuntu won't have any bearing on your Windows installation.

Your recommended method for completely separate partitions seems to be the way to go though.

There is absolutely no way a Linux driver update can have any impact on your Windows system....

Run a disk check from Ubuntu disk utility... If the system performance goes to zero for a while it may be that the disk is on it's last days...

By the way ....

Take a backup while you still can!

Martin

Tried booting from the Disc drive using my W-XP disc and it says there is a problem with the hardware and I should run check disc - looks like it might well be to do with the partitioning???

not really the partitioning per se, but the files in your windows partition.

did you actually run chkdsk? that is your best chance at recovering your windows install without a reinstallation. when you boot from the XP CD, choose 'R' to repair from the recovery console (assuming you have that option, some OEM disks don't). get to the command prompt (you will have to provide the administrator password, which may well be blank) and then type:

chkdsk c: /r

this will scan for bad sectors and attempt to recover corrupt files. it has solved this kind of problem for me about 75% of the time, and i have done it 1000s of times in my 15+ years of IT support. as others said, nothing about your ubuntu configuration could be the cause of this, it is likely a bad disk sector, an otherwise corrupt file, or possibly a virus.

if that doesn't work you have 2 options (well really 3, but the 3rd is to dump windows completely ;>}). one is to reinstall windows, in which case you will have to recreate your grub bootloader to get back to ubuntu. the other is to use something like ubcd4win to run an advanced chkdsk, a virusscan, or potentially copy any corrupt system files back to your windows directory. if your windows partition is fat32 you can use linux tools to do this, but none have very much success with NTFS. give it a try and post your results.

kevin