Any Atms In Chiang Mai Without The 150 Baht Withdrawal Fee?

WhiteCadillac

Yes,

Last time I went , a few weeks ago, AON were not charging.

There is one branch at Tesco Lotus Hang Dong and there must be others around.

Used Aeon in Tesco yesterday and no fee. I am told there is another Aeon somewhere in the City but I know not where. Aeon are a Japanese bank and a young lady there told me some months ago that they will not be imposing a charge for withdrawals as it is not head office policy.

With the name Aeon, finding ATM's and other outlets is easy.

Speaking of easy, WhCadillac just moved here, I think. I just searched Phree ATM and didn't get a hit.

Note that the ATM's are variable in amounts given out - sometimes I think they are low in reserves and limit it. Also, one of my U.S. banks' debit cards is refused. Were there convenient outlets all around, I'd shift to them in a second for domestic banking. Bonzai.

Edited by CMX

Yes,

Used Aeon in Tesco yesterday and no fee. I am told there is another Aeon somewhere in the City but I know not where. Aeon are a Japanese bank and a young lady there told me some months ago that they will not be imposing a charge for withdrawals as it is not head office policy.

There is also an Aeon on the third floor of Central Airport Plaza.

Yes,

There are two - but one is very well hidden!

Yes,

There are two - but one is very well hidden!

There are four....but two are strictly for us Freemasons :)

Once a month I go to the Bank of Siam where I opened a account. Use my Canadian CIBC credit card for enougfh money for the month. The credit card charge is 12.50 Canadian. I can then use my bank of Siam card all over Thailand. There ATM machines are easy to find.

I realize this would not be practical for a tourist but I live here pretty much year around and have no problem with paying 364 baht a month for Thai money. Beats 150 baht every time you go to a machine.B)

can also take your ATM card to a bank's service counter and get an no charge withdrawl. Also have to show the passport and sign a little form.

It will look like a ATM withdrawal to the originating bank but by using the counter it bypasses the local ATM machine and fee. Some TV"ers have said they can often take out more at once from the counter than an ATM.

I do mine at Bangkok Bank and nice to avoid the local fee. My bank still dings me from the US but it cuts the total fee's in half for me.

Once a month I go to the Bank of Siam where I opened a account. Use my Canadian CIBC credit card for enougfh money for the month. The credit card charge is 12.50 Canadian. I can then use my bank of Siam card all over Thailand. There ATM machines are easy to find.

I realize this would not be practical for a tourist but I live here pretty much year around and have no problem with paying 364 baht a month for Thai money. Beats 150 baht every time you go to a machine.B)

As DavidOxon said; some are free but hay if u want to pay 364 baht a month fine

It would cost me that much traveling all over Chiang Mai to find the machines. This way I have convinece as well as cheap. Just the cost of two withdrawals and no charge for the conversion rate. I can't under stand why they won't let me in the cheap charlie club.B)

Not CM related but Wife withdrew 20K (over the counter)at our very friendly Siam City Bank at Seacon today and then the guy offered me an account which I accepted...more the better init....and of course all freeeee...still with Nationwide also...thought the limit was 200 quid but they said that they (SCB) will happily give us 50k at a throw...

Also Re CM.got a call from my guy in Mae-On that we have a new ATM in our local market garage about 3-4 ks from house so no more 40 mile round trips into San Kam Peng...who would have...... :)

I recently opened an account with Bangkok bank. As yet I have made 2 withdrawals, one from a non BB atm across from Hillside 4 Condo complex which i was charged 20baht the other from a BB atm at Central which was charged at 10baht.

It would cost me that much traveling all over Chiang Mai to find the machines. This way I have convinece as well as cheap. Just the cost of two withdrawals and no charge for the conversion rate. I can't under stand why they won't let me in the cheap charlie club.B)

You are right, entry into cheap charlies club has been black balled.

You are eligible though for entry into the club for showing off your immense wealth and spending over 4000 baht a year when the service is free in so many convenient places. If someone seconds this, then you are in ( annual membership fee 4368 baht )

Edited by caf

No charge for the conversion rate??? Are you serious?

It isn't too hard to get away without an ATM fee. I am interested in the no charge for conversion.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

No charge for the conversion rate??? Are you serious?

It isn't too hard to get away without an ATM fee. I am interested in the no charge for conversion.

Many banks don't "charge" a fee for currency exchange but they make it up by not giving you a good rate of exchange.

MSPain

Aeon will give you the worst possible rate of conversion to make up for the 150 Baht that you don't pay. I've done the math a couple of times using Aeon and another ATM on the same day, same amount withdrawn. I've checked the debits from my account in Europe and there is no savings.

I have not found this to be true.

Actually, I think it is the card issuing institution that sets the exchange rate. You can check the disclosures from your own financial institution to get this information if the financial institution is in U.S.A. I don't know what the regulations are in Europe. In U.S.A. the rules and regulations are spelled out by federal regulation.

There was a lengthy thread regarding ATM and in it having discussion of AEON ATM's. At the time I entered the thread I had never used an AEON ATM and I stated I did not know whether AEON charged a fee or not. I since have used AEON ATM's for cards from U.S.A. and from Australia. In my experience AEON did not charge the ATM transaction fee and the card issuing financial institutions exchanged the currency as indicated on the Visa and Mastercard currency exchange rate web sites.

I have found that Mastercard exchange rates were not as favorable for me as the Visa currency exchange rates.

MSPain

Aeon will give you the worst possible rate of conversion to make up for the 150 Baht that you don't pay. I've done the math a couple of times using Aeon and another ATM on the same day, same amount withdrawn. I've checked the debits from my account in Europe and there is no savings.

Edited by hml367

That is simply not true.

On 22/10/2010 I got a rate of 29.751/US$ from Bangkok Bank (including the 150 baht fee).

On 22/10/2010 I got a rate of 29.751/US$ from Aeon.

Same card used.

Edited by wimpy

You are right, entry into cheap charlies club has been black balled.

You are eligible though for entry into the club for showing off your immense wealth and spending over 4000 baht a year when the service is free in so many convenient places. If someone seconds this, then you are in ( annual membership fee 4368 baht )

You forgot to figure in the exchange rate differs so you will have to expand on the cost of membership. B)

Actually if you read all the posts on the thread you will come to realize that AEON gives the worst exchange rate it gives the same rate there ATM machines are hard to find there ATM machine are all over the city. In short who knows.

The one thing I do know for sure is that I am wealthy enough to not have to put my self through that nonsense. I did not move to Thailand because I could not make it back in North America.

Edited by jayjay0

Actually if you read all the posts on the thread you will come to realize that AEON gives the worst exchange rate it gives the same rate there ATM machines are hard to find there ATM machine are all over the city. In short who knows.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

what rate does an Aeon withdrawal provide? Does anyone have a recent transaction? It's easy to figure out.

I think previously some threads somewhat concluded that the fee savings from Aeon were partially offset by a less favorable exchange rate.

These rates can change however so would be interesting to revisit the question again.

AEON does not set the exchange rate unless you are using a card they issue. The exchange rate is set by the card issuing institution.

MSPain

Bullshit.

what rate does an Aeon withdrawal provide? Does anyone have a recent transaction? It's easy to figure out.

I think previously some threads somewhat concluded that the fee savings from Aeon were partially offset by a less favorable exchange rate.

These rates can change however so would be interesting to revisit the question again.