Thai Baht To Usd Exchange Rate

Take a look at this link, or any similar Thai Baht currency exhange site that shows the history of the Thai Baht verus other currencies.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/THB/USD/hist2006.html

Note that for most years, the Thai Baht grows quiet strong as Tourist season approaches. The link I put in is for 2006, but you can go to that site and select other years also. 2010 would be another good example.

Just a topic for discussion.

The chart that you've posted shows the conversion rate for THB to USD for 2006 and it shows THB strengthening fairly consistently throughout the year, this has nothing to do with the approaching tourist season at all but is instead an FX trend that continued - started 2006 at 39.59 and finished the year at 35.72, today, four years later it's at 29.85!

The chart that you've posted shows the conversion rate for THB to USD for 2006 and it shows THB strengthening fairly consistently throughout the year, this has nothing to do with the approaching tourist season at all but is instead an FX trend that continued - started 2006 at 39.59 and finished the year at 35.72, today, four years later it's at 29.85!

You can look at just one year if you want. But if you look at several years and use that basic link/website as the means to select and look at different years you will see the clear trend I mentioned in almost every year. If you don't want to or are not able to figure out how to look at other years, fine. And I was talking about a seasonal trend. Yes, the USD has declined overall since 2004, 2005. I was pointing out the seasonal up and downs.

You can look at just one year if you want. But if you look at several years and use that basic link/website as the means to select and look at different years you will see the clear trend I mentioned in almost every year. If you don't want to or are not able to figure out how to look at other years, fine. And I was talking about a seasonal trend. Yes, the USD has declined overall since 2004, 2005. I was pointing out the seasonal up and downs.

No, the clear trend that you describe is not present, the tourist season in Thailand runs November to April, that is high season. The bump you see in June/July is, er, a bump!

It's a combined Dollar weakness with a Baht strength. So far the Baht was always somehow linked to the USD, but now it is strengthening against all major currencies, despite those a strong against the USD. The tourist factor is neglectable, it more the capital inflow to the stock market, where rising indices combined with a stronger Baht can result in a decent profit.

I use foreign currency all the time because of the 7/12 months a year we are on the road. (USD,Ringitt,AUD,BAHT,Dong,etc.)

My personal observation is that the Thai Government is keeping the Baht floating high with a false inflation against USD because of exports etc as the Chinese are in fact devaluing their currency 'Yuan' against it because of their giant imports.

I am not an expert , just an end user & since the crash in Thailand some years ago they have made a few 'adjustments' ,

Since the world 'crash ' in 2008 so have many Countries , but right now buying property in the USA is Bargain Basement time & the Bank Chiefs are still getting their $$Mil + bonuses. Luv it. Ireland,Greece etc are 'Broke' if you believe what you read

Any how just an observation. No debt , No worries

If your theory was correct then The Bank of Thailand would have to be buying Baht and selling something else, USD perhaps, if that were the case we would see the BOT foreign reserves decline pretty rapidly. Alas none of that is the case and the obverse is true, foreign reserves continue to increase. So, nice try but unfortunately for Thailand the strength of THB is not artificial, were that the case it would be a simple matter for them to pull the plug and save their exports.

As for Thailand having made "some adjustments" since the crash of '97, perhaps the most significant one was the introduction of an independent Central Bank, much to the dismay of some politicians who would like to be able to manipulate THB, in the interest of appeasing and gaining voters, all in all a very good move.

Edited by chiang mai

Unfortunately for us ,the Baht is too high !

It's not a debtor currency like the dollar and the pound sterling. Judging by this article -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/8103462/QE2-risks-currency-wars-and-the-end-of-dollar-hegemony.html

- if Obama prints any more money the dollar's on its way to becoming a basket case like the German mark in the Weimar Republic. If the British Government makes its cuts stick it might just avoid the pound going the same way. Unfortunately the pound and the dollar are now suffering because of years of financial incontinence and incompetence by its governments, and the Euro also to some extent because of countries like Greece and Portugal.

Which is broadly why the holders of USD and GBP are/have been so keen to convert into THB which in turn makes THB stronger, you think it's strong now, just wait a while, I'm still on board for 40 Baht against GBP and I've been preaching that mantra since it was at 72.

Who is us?

Indeed. I think it's too low. Still quite a while to go to get back to the actual rate before the currency crisis in the late '90s.

As for the tourist season being of influence: Tourism is about 6% of the GDP (give or take some depending on how/what you count) so it's a more minor factor.). Of course, tourist season more or less coincice with the Christmas peak in the Western world, when lots of exports pick up.

Who is us?

Indeed. I think it's too low. Still quite a while to go to get back to the actual rate before the currency crisis in the late '90s.

As for the tourist season being of influence: Tourism is about 6% of the GDP (give or take some depending on how/what you count) so it's a more minor factor.). Of course, tourist season more or less coincice with the Christmas peak in the Western world, when lots of exports pick up.

Just as an aside, the latest reliable figures seem to confirm that tourism is 13% of GDP, one of the Mods posted the numbers a few weeks back.

Which is broadly why the holders of USD and GBP are/have been so keen to convert into THB which in turn makes THB stronger, you think it's strong now, just wait a while, I'm still on board for 40 Baht against GBP and I've been preaching that mantra since it was at 72.

Oh Gawd!

Here we go again.

Might be better to get a fresh set of tea leaves.

Oh Gawd!

Here we go again.

Do you want to dig out those old posts or shall I, how many months did it take before you finally got the message?

And it's apparently not gonna get better any time soon. Despite the will of the American people being shown in Tuesday's resounding defeat of the existing leftist agenda, there was an announcement that the Fed intends to sell another $600M in bonds (assuming they can find a buyer) AND print another $800M in currency to further monetize the existing debt. If the US were a publicly traded corporation, these leaders would be fired on the spot and probably prosecuted and sent to prison for fraud, misleading the public on future performance and failure to truthfully disclose the true financial state of the company. I'll issue a friendly wager of a beer that the dollar will drop to 25 baht before it sees 32-33 baht again.

Oh Gawd!

Here we go again.

Coin flipping and drunken dart throws work pretty good also for currency forecasting...it's what I've used over the years....seems to be as good a method as the whiz-bang methods used by the so called experts.

And it's apparently not gonna get better any time soon. Despite the will of the American people being shown in Tuesday's resounding defeat of the existing leftist agenda, there was an announcement that the Fed intends to sell another $600M in bonds (assuming they can find a buyer) AND print another $800M in currency to further monetize the existing debt. If the US were a publicly traded corporation, these leaders would be fired on the spot and probably prosecuted and sent to prison for fraud, misleading the public on future performance and failure to truthfully disclose the true financial state of the company. I'll issue a friendly wager of a beer that the dollar will drop to 25 baht before it sees 32-33 baht again.

Sorry, double typo above.

That's actually $600B and $800B, respectively.

My boss informed us if it gets to 25 and stays (as some predict it will next year), the company is leaving Thailand. I would be transferred to Bali.

I tambon every morning now, asking for a stronger baht. lol