Time For Bib To Start Earning Their Pay

Gonzo the Face

I do sincerely think it time for the BIB to get off their rears and do something about a very serious up and coming problem.

The problem: motorcyclist driving and yakking on their hand phones at the same time.

Yesterday on the way to the market, while stopped for a red-light along with a car going in the same direction as I was [who was also stopped for the red light] a young lady talking away on her hand phone passes me on the left and goes straight through the red-light , and just by the grace of God, Buddha, Allah or maybe all three together , she just gets missed by inches , by a car going through the green. I mean it was inches! ! !

It must have scared her almost to death, because it surely did scare me.

She was just in a world of her own and driving without a thought to road safety.

If you sit out by any busy intersection, in a heavy traffic time of the day, you will surely see 1 person per minute on the phone while driving.....

The BIB have got to get this under control, not just the helmet donation club.

Imagine what the driver who hits and kills someone in an example like this, will have to live with that split second image, for the rest of their lives. Through absolutely no fault of their own.

Motorcycle driving, no helmet, on the phone, ='s complete idiot

:(

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with your example of dangerous riding and in western eyes there would be a concern to prevent such actions.

But in Far Eastern cultures particularly Thailand the sense of being free to do what one likes is very strong. The lady was exercising that right with no concern for other road users, possibly in some cases the baby sitting over the handle bars etc

I don't like it butb I at least understand why they think that way. It's their country, their business

And police get 8000 baht a month not the 30000 ponds a year before overtime as in the uk

" Imagine what the driver who hits and kills someone in an example like this, will have to live with that split second image, for the rest of their lives. Through absolutely no fault of their own. "

Scary indeed and don't want to be that person. Bad enough to live with that but chances are because you are a farang and the deceased is a Thai, good luck with the law and who's right and wrong. Don't mean to sound biased or prejudice but have seen similar instances not in favor of the farang.

Edited by ThaiWx

I totally agree with your example of dangerous riding and in western eyes there would be a concern to prevent such actions.

But in Far Eastern cultures particularly Thailand the sense of being free to do what one likes is very strong. The lady was exercising that right with no concern for other road users, possibly in some cases the baby sitting over the handle bars etc

I don't like it butb I at least understand why they think that way. It's their country, their business

And police get 8000 baht a month not the 30000 ponds a year before overtime as in the uk

Absolute nonsense.

Absolute nonsense.

Good reply !!!

You either mean you don't understand far eastern culture and in fact buddhist interpretation or you are saying the uk thai pay rates are nonsense.

either way thanks for your well thought out two word response

Sort of brings up the question, Why make laws for an organized society, if no one is going to obey them [ or only some may obey them ] and all may do as they wish....Then are the BIB there only for image and/or because of the pay scale, are they able to pick and choose which laws they enforce and when????

Sort of brings up the question, Why make laws for an organized society, if no one is going to obey them [ or only some may obey them ] and all may do as they wish....Then are the BIB there only for image and/or because of the pay scale, are they able to pick and choose which laws they enforce and when????

Careful Gonzo. I met a lady from Los Angles once. Both her and her husband were going back to the states. She told me they loved it here and were going back because they didn't want to be like so many expats who were cynical and they found themselves becoming that way so they chose to leave and come back another time.

I am with cas on this one. This is Thailand. One of the things I like about it is they are not afraid to live. Completely unlike the western culture where every thing is controlled. Here I am responsible if I trip on a step in the sidewalk shame on me. Back in North America the likely hood of that happening is low. They have law's to keep steps and holes out of the sidewalk. If they didn't they would run the risk of being sued. Because it is there responsibility not yours. Some people make a living playing on that kind of thing.

One other point In the State of Washington they passed a law you could not use your cell phone while driving. The result was predictable. Accidents went up people paid even less attention to where they were going when they had to hold the cell phone out of sight.:ermm:

One other point In the State of Washington they passed a law you could not use your cell phone while driving. The result was predictable. Accidents went up people paid even less attention to where they were going when they had to hold the cell phone out of sight.:ermm:

how many accidents here because drivers are trying to put on their helmet while driving or do a quick u-turn because of a police road-block? helmets in the basket blocking the front light. nice one.

Absolute nonsense.

Good reply !!!

You either mean you don't understand far eastern culture and in fact buddhist interpretation or you are saying the uk thai pay rates are nonsense.

either way thanks for your well thought out two word response

It could be that he means he does not agree with you about far eastern culture and in fact buddhist interpretation

or that he is saying the uk thai pay rates are irrelevant. Or both. Couldn't it?

It could be that he means he does not agree with you about far eastern culture and in fact buddhist interpretation

or that he is saying the uk thai pay rates are irrelevant. Or both. Couldn't it?

Don't know what part he is disagreeing about either. Seems pretty spot on. Regarding UK police salary average £36,667 (Mysalary UK.)

Last week as I was driving through CMU campus on a rather curved route, saw a biker behind me with the phone to his ear and negotiating the curves with one hand. All I could think of was - hope I don't have to brake suddenly.

Three years ago just under the over-pass near the Airport Plaza a guy ran a red light while talking on a cel-phone. He had two small children and his wife holding a baby. They got hit by a big lorry going through on the green light. it killed all five of them right in front of me. I've got an industrial first aid ticket and couldn't help any of them. None were wearing helmets. The two children were about 5 or 6 years old. It was the worst accident I've ever seen anywhere. The only worse one I heard about was last year when that big truck killed all those people getting off work at Lamphun.

Gonzo; The apparent interaction between the BIB and all vehicular traffic in CM reminds me of 'Cool Hand Luke' when the warden acknowledged "a failure to communicate". The officials then proceeded to reinforce the rules in such a way as it was memorable to the wrong doer (physically). Until the laws/rules are universally enforced and in such a way that it hurts, (impound vehicle, a fine amount that hurts 2-3000 baht, revoke license, etc), the dimwits will continue motoring while the thought/defensive process is in neutral. The pittance charge for no helmet seems to confirm this observation. There will always be a small % who will ignore the system no matter the punishment they endure but the become a statistic eventually.

The accountability system for the BIB at present circumvents any local authority who may have a interest in making the roadways safer (if this ever comes to their minds). With the traffic fine sharing that the BIB have as well as rewards for seizures of goods connected to crime, etc they do enjoy a decent income and could probably increase pay initially if a real enforcement policy were followed. In the meantime those who drive defensively and scared may just survive without killing or maiming someone.

Agreed, 100%, but the 8,000 baht is only a 'starting pay', there are many many ways they earn more :)

I agree with Gonzo. If you hit and kill somebody or seriously injure them through no fault of your own you will pay...alot!

In some ways, it makes sense to me (maybe I have lived here too long!!) that farangs pay,,, Generally they have more monetary resources, and many hospitals will refuse treament if they are not sure about getting their money ;)

I've lived here over 10 years and been visiting over 25 and I disagree.

Okay, but I have lived here full time for 26 years.

What exactly do you disagree with?

Edited by LJW

Not going into length of time in LOS, but my sense of responsibility vs pay does not include get what you can from farang, even if he is not at fault. If anyone has the resources to own/operate a vehicle they can/should invest in insurance to cover the eventuality of a accident which will be their fault. Many could divert part of their lottery spending and have insurance.

Watch them driving in the rain. If there is no passenger to hold the umbrella, the driver must hold it as well as the phone.

As for the BIB salaries, hotel maids don't earn much money either but they still do a good job and don't usually steal.

i've lived here for 57 years and my dad's the heavy weight champion of the world. nice one.

I've lived here for 96 years of my current life, have drunk myself silly every day and in every girly bar in Thailand and I agree. And don't anyone dare question me unless you've lived here longer than me.

If you believe that the farang should pay even if they are not at fault because they have more money than yes, you have been here too long and I don't need to agree or disagree as your statement speaks for itself.

If you believe that the farang should pay even if they are not at fault because they have more money than yes, you have been here too long and I don't need to agree or disagree as your statement speaks for itself.

Yes, it says what I feel, which is that I understand why the farang pays sometimes. Nothing about what the farang should or should not pay :)

Sansai Sam, I did witness an accident where a colleage of mine (farang) was making a right turn, with turn signals on, and a Thai man on a motorcycle from behind decided to pass on the right at the same time. Well the farang made the turn and they collided. A policeman was in the same line of traffic a few cars back and saw it all. He wrote up the accident report and charged the farang a 1000 Baht ticket. Being here too long just gives you more opportunities to see more.

Edited by ThaiWx

Couldn't agree with you more. I watched one girl cross the Hangdong highway and carry out a 'U' turn all one handed whislt yakking. Frightening. There is one problem with enforcing the law though. You have to stop the Police from doing the same so that they may set an example and not have to book themselves. Maybe that is why there have not been many helmet raids lately as a number of Police officers on my stretch of the Hangdong Highway ride without a helmet preferring their safety police soft baseball type caps instead.

A motorbike overtaking a car already signaling right is dangerous and stupid. In the west the motorcyclist would be found at fault and fined plus an endorsement

But have you noticed that Thai drivers check again before completing a right turn; they know what motorcyclists can do.

When driving here I try to do the same. But itb does amke driving difficult.

Couldn't agree with you more. I watched one girl cross the Hangdong highway and carry out a 'U' turn all one handed whislt yakking. Frightening. There is one problem with enforcing the law though. You have to stop the Police from doing the same so that they may set an example and not have to book themselves. Maybe that is why there have not been many helmet raids lately as a number of Police officers on my stretch of the Hangdong Highway ride without a helmet preferring their safety police soft baseball type caps instead.

I doubt if the police are even schooled in basic traffic laws. Most Thai traffic law is copied from the real world in some shape or form, thus the ticket to farang when the motorbike was overtaking thru the intersection is probably due to lack of knowledge or the mind set to ignore the law by the policeman. It would be interesting to see what offense the 1000 baht fine was for.

Check this out. Interestingly, other than the research that shows Thailand is among the countries worldwide that bans mobile use while driving....:whistling: , the point was made that young people are particularly prone to distraction, and that mobile use while driving is approximate to a BAC of .08, which is the legal drink drive limit in many countries. Also that a hands-free setup does not improve reaction times, that women seem to fare slightly worse than men in testing, and most surprising of all....the drivers tested with only alcohol, seemed to test better against the mobile users. In other words, the drunks did better than the mobile distracted drivers, and the sober drivers engaging in normal conversation with a passenger in the car. Food, or drink for thought.B)