Khun Tan National Park In Lamphun

LJW

I wanted to tell you about a great day trip to Khun Tan National Park in Lampoon...

A very nice and GREEN drive that goes through the Elephant Hospital, out to some small villages, a nice waterfall (next to the road!) over the mountain into some beautiful areas of Lamhpum. :)

First, get on hiway 11 to Lampang, turn off at the entrance to the Elephant park. Head up past the hospital to where you can see this big sign..

elephantsign.jpg

Turn right and follow the road to the next intersection. Turn left here and head towards the elephant graveyard..

elephantcamp.jpg

Go straight (according to the sign) and head out towards the Elephant College, and a little furher on, this beautiful lake :)

elephantlake.jpg

Great swimming and Fishing :)

About 3 kilometers past the lake, you will come to another intersection, gaurded by a government official. Turn left here, and follow for a few kilometers. You will see some small villages

where there is actually a western style restaurant :)

victoriarestaurant.jpg

After a good? meal, head into the park, where your road is very green :)

khuntan.jpg

Then there are the waterfalls :)

khuntanwaterfall.jpg

3 kilometers past the waterfall, you will see this sign warning about a lot of accidents. How? There is nothing here except the sign

and no traffic. I have no idea what you can do to have an accident here...:unsure:

khuntanroadsign.jpg

Just past this sign, you will come to another intersection. Turn left here, or go right and pay a little to get into the area with any recreational things, like cabins for rent.If you are ready to head home, turn left and go down the mountain.

khuntanout.jpg

Just go and go until you come to a big river. At the end if the river, turn left onto a small soi whivh leads to the main road.

Turn left at the main road and follow it about 30 kilometers until you come to hiway 11 again, where you will turn right and come back to Chiang Mai

about another 30 kilometers :)

Enjoy this very peacefull drive :)

Edited by LJW

Was having dinner with a friend this evening who mentioned this post: "Did you see that very nice post on Thaivisa CM forum about the National Park". "Yes, I saw the title, but no I hadn't read it yet". "Oh, it gives such a good route description with beautiful pictures. Will definitely make this trip when my family come to visit soon".

Well, THAT made me curious. And, now after reading it, a big thanks for this VERY nice post, LJW. I remember Jackr giving a similar route description a year or so ago, but with these pic's it definitely makes things more clear and even more attractive for a visit.

Bookmarked, Thanks. :jap:

We did pretty much the exact same trip last weekend. It is also a nice drive up to the Khun Tan train tunnel. You can then also follow the valley up to come out at Mae On. Just make sure you take the left turn marked Chiang Mai or you get to a mud road and its pretty scarey at this time of year. (we missed the turning!)

post-23669-0-33570900-1288537669_thumb.j

We did pretty much the exact same trip last weekend. It is also a nice drive up to the Khun Tan train tunnel. You can then also follow the valley up to come out at Mae On. Just make sure you take the left turn marked Chiang Mai or you get to a mud road and its pretty scarey at this time of year. (we missed the turning!)

I have looked for the Khun Tan Tunnel, but I have not seen it yet.:blink:

Was having dinner with a friend this evening who mentioned this post: "Did you see that very nice post on Thaivisa CM forum about the National Park". "Yes, I saw the title, but no I hadn't read it yet". "Oh, it gives such a good route description with beautiful pictures. Will definitely make this trip when my family come to visit soon".

Well, THAT made me curious. And, now after reading it, a big thanks for this VERY nice post, LJW. I remember Jackr giving a similar route description a year or so ago, but with these pic's it definitely makes things more clear and even more attractive for a visit.

Bookmarked, Thanks. :jap:

I am sure you and your friend will enjoy the trip. I have done it maybe 10 times over the years, and I always feel great afterwards :)

This is the only Khun Tan Tunnel that I found..

khuntantunnel.jpg

:lol::D

To find the northern end of the tunel we took the left turning off the Lamphun - Lampang road before the Khun Tan services area. There is a sign for Khun Tan tunnel and Gassan Khun Tan resort. Follow the road until after the resort and you will see a right turn for Khun Tan National Park and Tunnel. The tunnel is about 1 1/2 kilometers before the actual main park entrance, though through one gate that is staffed, but not the main park entrance.

For an interesting drive back to CM, get back on the main road you have left for the park and follow the signs for Mae On. Make sure you take the left turn marked Chiang Mai 44, or you will end up on a 15 km dirt road that was very 'interesting' in the rainy season, and I wont be trying it again soon!

Iain