Murder After Meeting Via Chatroom

AyG

According to the press, a man has been charged for murdering a man, Monchai Noppawong na Ayutthaya, when they met up for the first time after making contact via a gay chatroom. Kriangkrai Rungaroonwasin, allegedly poisoned the victim with sodium cyanide so he could steal his money. The reports say this happened on October 3 in Minburi, Bangkok.

Horrific. Be safe out there!

Very sad to hear this, but not unique to Thailand. When meeting people on blind dates (or encounters) use common sense, meet first in public places, let friends know where you're going, and take other precautions (like not having a lot of valuable objects on display on your person). There are many desperate people out there and all it costs to use a chatroom is the price of time at an internet cafe.

Very, very true, IJWT.

Not unique to Thailand at all, but for those looking for cheap sex (as many cruising the internet are, but by no means all) it may be wise to remember the axiom that you get what you pay for.

If correct (and I can find no reports of either name) then given the victim's identity I can understand why the BiB may have made some effort to find the murderer.

Edited by SweatiePie

If you want cheap sex, pay for it... by going to a reputable bar. It's cheaper in the long run.

(Before anybody comes back with this... yes, I know this is no guarantee, but it's the nearest you'll get to one.)

Edited by isanbirder

Sorry for no link. The story was in the English language newspaper (paper copy only) that we're not supposed to mention, and in the Thai language press.

From the Thai press I understand that the alleged murderer had debts of 500k and stole the victim's bank cards and car.

Thai language story: http://www.manager.c...D=9530000153011

Edited by AyG

Interesting story (although Crime Manager on Line is a bit like the National Enquirer!) and one which appears pretty conclusive.

31 years old and he looks and sounds like a cute and innocent 20 year old - he should be as popular in Klong Prem as I am sure he was when on-line.

Thai Rath is correct and I'm not - he's 21 and the victim was 31.

What ever the age, it make you think twice about those dating sites. I guess that overall the risks are small even though this kind of thing has happened before.

He is cute though - and I actually think I recognize him from somewhere!

Seriously, there have been quite a number of reports of "internet-dates" turning out to be muggings. While the risks may be small I would also imagine that the number reported is probably only a fraction of those which occur and that the majority, for any number of reasons, go unreported.

Edited by SweatiePie