Sorry Sir No Have

fred007

post-42073-0-41410000-1288531242_thumb.j Thailand's Motor Industry always ceases to amaze me.I was speaking recently to a guy unbeknown to me that he was a executive with Honda in Thailand. I mentioned to him that i have owned several Honda Legends which they are called in the UK and Australia,in the US they are badge as Accura RLs.They are without a doubt Hondas Flagship saloon car.I ask him why they did not sell them in Thailand and this amazed me what he said.Thais would prefer to be seen and own a BMW or a Mercedes rather then a Honda Legend.Now some of the Honda Legends Stats. Made In Japan....Won Car of the Year Japan. Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system and traction control.4-piston front brake calipers. Aluminum alloy hood, front fenders, trunk lid and frame, front and rear subframes,. Bose Audio Pilot is a noise compensation technology which analyzes background environmental cabin noiseThe result is a dramatic reduction of engine and exhaust noise.Voice recognition technology.Active Front Lighting System,headlamps swivel with the steering up to twenty degrees, offering improved night vision and the list goes on and on.He also mentioned to me though the CEO of Honda Thailand Drives a wait for not a top of the range Accord No No No but a fully imported Honda Legend.....From the post-42073-0-41410000-1288531242_thumb.jRising Sun....What More can i say.jap.gif

Maybe MRO and others will back me on this one but l believe they are far too complicated for Thai to produce in this Country, l know Honda were having there problems with this machine in the UK when things went wrong.

It's just economics.

The Legend would cost somewhere in the region of 4.8-5M Baht by the time it hit Thailand. At that price I can comfortably wager an annual sales volume of less than 50 units nationally, which is abut 100x less than what Honda Thailand would need to justify technical training, parts distribution/warehousing, sales training, or any form of marketing outside of a press release.. ;)

There are a few floating around in the gray market if you really want one, but a brand-new example will be hard to find.

It's just economics.

The Legend would cost somewhere in the region of 4.8-5M Baht by the time it hit Thailand. At that price I can comfortably wager an annual sales volume of less than 50 units nationally, which is abut 100x less than what Honda Thailand would need to justify technical training, parts distribution/warehousing, sales training, or any form of marketing outside of a press release.. ;)

There are a few floating around in the gray market if you really want one, but a brand-new example will be hard to find.

I don't believe its economics at all..........

Its called" No Foresight," Its made plain and clear in Thailand, its called buy local or pay the earth or buy local or Bye Bye..The Tax in this country for imported cars is absurd.jap.gif

It's just economics.

Its called" No Foresight," Its made plain and clear in Thailand, its called buy local or pay the earth or buy local or Bye Bye..The Tax in this country for imported cars is absurd.jap.gif

It's just economics.

So what do you suggest fred007? Those of us that like nice cars at a realistic price are all ears :)?

Edited by steelepulse

Australia for example only sells small numbers of Honda Legends with a population one third to size of Thailand. They don't seem to have an issue with Training or spare parts issues you can make excuses or give me facts and figures to the cows come home.Its about choice.Honda could sell the Honda legend at one or two high volume dealers in Bangkok only like Lexus........Just a point of interest I have just returned last week from the Sydney motor show.I had a conversation with State sales manager regarding Honda sales in Australia in general.He Stated to me ....Quote there is one Honda dealership in California ....That Sells More Honda Vehicles Then the entire sales of honda vehicles in Australia combined.

jap.gif

It's just economics.

So what do you suggest fred007? Those of us that like nice cars at a realistic price are all ears :)?

It;'s not just a tax on imports - this car would attract a 50% excise tax even if it were CKD.

Australia for example only sells small numbers of Honda Legends with a population one third to size of Thailand. They don't seem to have an issue with Training or spare parts issues you can make excuses or give me facts and figures to the cows come home.Its about choice.Honda could sell the Honda legend at one or two high volume dealers in Bangkok only like Lexus........Just a point of interest I have just returned last week from the Sydney motor show.I had a conversation with State sales manager regarding Honda sales in Australia in general.He Stated to me ....Quote there is one Honda dealership in California ....That Sells More Honda Vehicles Then the entire sales of honda vehicles in Australia combined.

Honda Thailand has more than 2x the amount of dealers than Honda Australia, plus more employees per dealerhsip to train, and is in a country where the market dictates that spare parts must always be competitively priced. Australians are accustomed/conditioned to waiting up to 3 months for parts to arrive from "overseas" and then paying through the nose for them (not just Honda parts BTW) - the Thai market would never accept that from a tier-1 manufacturer.

The top of the line accord 3.5L V6 already costs about 2.9 million or more than $96,000 USD compared to about $30,000 in the U.S.

Could you imagine what an Acura TL or RL in Bangkok would cost? It would be about 9-10 million baht!

The top of the line accord 3.5L V6 already costs about 2.9 million or more than $96,000 USD compared to about $30,000 in the U.S.

Could you imagine what an Acura TL or RL in Bangkok would cost? It would be about 9-10 million baht!

The Acura TL is a North America only model, so being LHD only you'll never see it here.

The Acura RL is what is being discussed here (AKA Honda Legend). As noted, price in TH would be around 5M, which is still too much ;)

******* they did not sell them in Thailand and this amazed me what he said.Thais would prefer to be seen and own a BMW or a Mercedes rather then a Honda Legend

Yes, of course. In the same price range, a Honda would stand no chance in the status race against Mercedes and BMW.

The same reason why Honda pickups are big in the US but not even sold in Thailand. And the same reason why there are no Honda Taxis. The taxi drivers that I have asked for the reason answers 1) Honda don't allow them to buy to use as taxi and 2) The Hondas are more expenseive to maintain and buy but don't last longer than Toyota.

Reducing the status of the name Honda is not advisable in Thailand :)

Edited by MikeyIdea

What Thai would pay out 5m baht for a Honda when they can buy a Benz or BMW for the same amount. Simple as that.

You don't see too many Lexus' for the same reason. Thais would rather spend more and buy a C class Benz than a significantly cheaper and probably better Lexus.

It would seem the Honda guys know the local market well.

Perhaps it also has something to do with Honda's reputation for poor after sales service....they'd have to reach unheard of levels of customer care to support Legend buyers, something they don't have to do for the plebs who buy the likes of Jazzs and Civics.

******* they did not sell them in Thailand and this amazed me what he said.Thais would prefer to be seen and own a BMW or a Mercedes rather then a Honda Legend

Yes, of course. In the same price range, a Honda would stand no chance in the status race against Mercedes and BMW.

The same reason why Honda pickups are big in the US but not even sold in Thailand. And the same reason why there are no Honda Taxis. The taxi drivers that I have asked for the reason answers 1) Honda don't allow them to buy to use as taxi and 2) The Hondas are more expenseive to maintain and buy but don't last longer than Toyota.

Reducing the status of the name Honda is not advisable in Thailand :)

Reducing the status of the Honda name i don't follow .?.....Honda Japan with its Legend and NSX brand is a the cutting edge of technology same as Toyota has Lexus.We understand that they are expensive but without people buying these type of cars the benefits would not flow to the Mass produced cars most normal people buy.Let the people be given the choice regardless of cost..............Remember you cannot polish a Turd...biggrin.gif

Reducing the status of the Honda name i don't follow .?

I think what MikeyIdea was getting at (in a 'round-a-bout way) is that in Thai eyes, it's much better to not try anything, and succeed at achieving nothing, than it is to try something and fail. :D

Correct me of I'm wrong Mikey ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I think what MikeyIdea was getting at (in a 'round-a-bout way) is that in Thai eyes, it's much better to not try anything, and succeed at achieving nothing, than it is to try something and fail. :D

I saw a suggestion box in Bangkok once . And in that Suggestion box was a Suggestion to buy a Bigger Basket .The reason for the Bigger Basket is the The two hard Basket was full and they required a Bigger one. Yup Yup seems to be the way it is here 4 sure..........biggrin.gif

I saw a suggestion box in Bangkok once . And in that Suggestion box was a Suggestion to buy a Bigger Basket .The reason for the Bigger Basket is the The two hard Basket was full and they required a Bigger one. Yup Yup seems to be the way it is here 4 sure..........biggrin.gif

A bumper Sticker that sums up Thailand in one sentence 100%........Slowly But Surely We Are Getting Nowhere.........biggrin.gif

What Thai would pay out 5m baht for a Honda when they can buy a Benz or BMW for the same amount. Simple as that.

You don't see too many Lexus' for the same reason. Thais would rather spend more and buy a C class Benz than a significantly cheaper and probably better Lexus.

It would seem the Honda guys know the local market well.

Perhaps it also has something to do with Honda's reputation for poor after sales service....they'd have to reach unheard of levels of customer care to support Legend buyers, something they don't have to do for the plebs who buy the likes of Jazzs and Civics.

Since living here I have bought 3 new Hondas, jazz, civic and Accord! So that makes me a pleb dos it?

something they don't have to do for the plebs who buy the likes of Jazzs and Civics.

pleb 350 up, 98 downbuy pleb mugs, tshirts and magnetsActually defined as a member of a despised social class, a commoner, a member of the plebs of ancient Rome. Also low-born, undisinguished, vulgar, and my personal favourite: vulgar-looking.

Other words with similar meaning: Scrut, Townie, Kappa-Slapper, Rude-Boi, Scum, Greb, Scav, &c.What's red and orange and looks good on Plebs? ... Fire!share this

Mmmm, depending on your intended interpretation of 'Pleb' I could say . . .. . ..

Well I never, such anadulterated snobbery, such poppy cock, such insecure rantings, the price of a gentlemans 'carriage' or lack of one, has simply no bearing whatsover on his social standing, or postion, merely how much he chooses, or can afford to spend. There are many wealthy Plebeians, farang and Thai who drive posh jam jars, and dress them like a tarts handbag, and why not, there is no such thing as bad taste, only good taste and no taste.

I surmise that Vigo owners must be plebs also as they are in a similar price range :o

However if it's the original meaning . . .

Plebeians: The plebeians were the lower class. Nicknamed "plebs", the plebeians included everyone in ancient Rome (except for the nobility, the patricians) from well-to-do tradesmen all the way down to the very poor.

We could let cheeky monkey off the hook

:D