Thai Music I Just Don'T Get It

Greenbhoy

I Love music and listen to everything form rock to country, rave to Indie but Thia music just leaves me numb.

I have been seeing a thai girl for a while so I though for her sake I would give some of her tunes a listen too and apart from a simple track by Masha

(i know there is a romantic in all of us) all Thia music seems to follow the same formula, is it me or does all Thai music seem to lack attitude, no offence to Thia people as as a race I think you rock (no pun intended) but it is just the music I find so same same and not different.

Anyone else have the same feeling.

Edited by Greenbhoy

There's a load of great Thai music available. Try Carabao for rock and country rock. Try Malijuana for folk and folk rock. Try anybody's lookthung for country music. And once you've got your Thai soul going, you'll be ready for the ultimate--morlam! It's true that some young ladies in Bangkok subsist on a diet of pop schlock, but they are an exception to the rule. Great music is all around you.

suggestions to the op.

if you are looking for something with a bit of an edge to it, check out such artists on youtube like bodyslam, silly fools and hangman

another thing you might want to try is yet again punch in r - siam or grammy the two biggest music labels in thailand.

thirdly get your girlfriend to take you out one night and try one of the many morlam / tawangdeng music establishments and then onto maybe a karaoke bar in the wee hours of the morning for yet more food, booze and a sing song.

you might be pleasantly surprised, ive always had a great laugh on nights out like this and the thais sure do like to party. biggrin.gif

a good example of the kind of atmosphere and what you might expect find in a one of these places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nydZd-B3Vw

Edited by tigerfish

Anyone else have the same feeling.

Not at all. Thai music comes in tons of different genres the same as anywhere. Some of the Thai rock bands are amazing. Sorry your girlfriend has bad taste in music, don't base all your opinions on her.

I know where you're coming from, op, if you're referring to the typical karaoke-type sound... samey bands on TV, etc. Unfortunately, there ain't much scope following the traditional norms here. There is some talent out there, but Thai music only gets good when they follow the Western lead, as in rock. Compared with Indian song and dance, Thailand is like 300 years behind.

<br>... and how about starting here: http://www.youtube.c...76Vo0fxkNPE<br>
<br><br>I am from Northern Ireland and Half Chinese half Catholic but brought up an Irish catholic in a time of troubles, guns, bombs, et al. I understand a countries music and how it strength a commuity to it's plight, as mine follows me around where ever I go. The North Thialanders and the northern Irish Catholic have more in common than a lot of people think but for my part my Thai is poor so I can not understand if these are songs of strife, persecution or the battle for a fair life and my friend I wish I did. I know Issan people and there love for Issan music is as strong as the Irish for there's, so maybe apart from the odd rhetorical response and quick pos maybe an explanation might be good to further understand Isaan music as I do wish to.<br><br>
<br>I know where you're coming from, op, if you're referring to the typical karaoke-type sound... samey bands on TV, etc. Unfortunately, there ain't much scope following the traditional norms here. There is some talent out there, but Thai music only gets good when they follow the Western lead, as in rock. Compared with Indian song and dance, Thailand is like 300 years behind.<br>
<br><br> Mate don't get me wrong, as as above I do not know the lingo, hence my post to be maybe educated in the country side of things.I have just seen Christy Moore (voted one of the top Irish singers of all time) at £30 a pop and was frigging amazing, the love in Thai music I can understand. but is it all just love and heart break ,or is there something I am missing  this is what I would like to find??<br>

PLEASE GUYS READ BETWEEN THE LINE AS I DID HAVE A FEW DOZEN JARS AT CHRISTY'S

Edited by Greenbhoy

I'm listening to some Thai music at the moment,and as always music is a personal choice,

I personally cant stand morlam music, or traditional Thai stuff, so perhaps something a bit more popular might suit you to start with,

How about trying:

1. Loso

2. Carabou

3. Bird

All very Popular,give it a go,maybe something might click for you.

Edited by MAJIC

geez eek, u are really slow on the music scene!!!!!!!!!!! job2do's dududam song actually got remade in to an israeli version here in israel by a group that heard it when one or some of them in the group were in thailand on the beach ... last time i was in thailand i even bought a job2do disc (to the amusement of my issaan in laws)as a present for my son, since what else could i bring him as a present in my affordable range.

although nothing really special about it, sort of jamaican thai... the israeli version wasnt much better, but the lyrics were pretty mcuh translated properly; it was even my cell phone ringtone for a while!!

i dunno, i just bought hubby a phin (got a thai friend to bring one back, he got it a week ago as a surprise) since he's been tuning his cheap guitar to phin sounds... so now i get issaan music in the a.m. and evening as he seranades me. best music there is to my ears :))... (google phin to see what one is for those that dont know - not phin pia, just phin).

im soo out of the western music loop and i think im stuck in a time warp of grateful dead, that i actually like local music of the country im in and the country im married to... and really dont like the more 'westernize' or popular city stuff of either country.

bina

israel

There's a world-wide general receipe for musical desaster: a heavy thump on beats 1 & 3 (70's disco, anyone?), with 2-3 chords maximum (sorry, Status Quo), a bit of "copied" Samba/Polka "feeling" thrown in for the marching-band base characteristic, and don't forget to turn the volume knob to the 11 position, adding some nice clipping. To me, that defines Isaan music as heard at mostly alcohol-hazed nightly parties. My guess is no-one would stand it without a certain level of intoxication...

Now that of course is the bad part of Thai music, and that's not at all saying that there isn't the good stuff as well. It's the same phenomenon everywhere in the world: pump out mind-numbing "plastic" music that took roughly as long to compose as to play; it sells, because unfortunately, halfway critical listeners are relatively few and far between. But hey: my principle is not to interfere with what someone else likes, as long as it doesn't directly affect my well-being (that said: I run from up-country-type karaoke places...)

If i'm ever forced to sing then this is my party piece

Though Thai rock sucks big time. Safe, corporate &lt;deleted&gt;.

My party piece is Gep Tah Wan by Itti.Fortunately its quite a well known piece so I request it at restaurants etc. The Thais are amazed to see a falang singin along.Its a bit more cheerful than yours!

• 1 year later...

Thai traditional court music is my thing. The kind that you think you hear the instruments from other countries like Indonesian gamelans and gongs, Chinese dulcimers, etc. The pace is uber slow that even Thais make fun of it.