Cost Of Living

Blackandwhite

Some big budgets flying about. Does anyone mind if I ask how you all make a living as there arent that many high paying jobs in Chiang Mai. Or are you all already rich and retired?

People with genuinely high budgets, probably wouldn't feel the need to post their information on here, knowing that they were higher than average.

I think I am on a highish income as per previous post (around 3500AUD net pension a month and retired at 48) and I do think this is more than enough for me. I know people that pay mortgages and raise families on this sort of income (as a net) in Oz.

For me there is no budget as such. There are basic costs rent/water/elec/internet/food but that really does not add up to much here and I have more than enough to cover (I think) so I do not budget at all, and then everything else is discretionary but varies dramatically on what I want (or want to do) month by month.

Edited by mamborobert

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we budget 30000 per month for myself, wife and 2 children, 3 bed house, electric, internet, gas, water charges, we don't drink, we use car and bike but car is used mostly for expressway driving about 20000km per year, we eat mostly thai food with the once weekly western feast, eat out no more than 2 times per week (thai), otherwise wife cooks at home, groceries mostly bought from local market, but the odd jaunt to makro for small purchases, only thing I havent added to that would be daughters school fees as I can't remember exact cost but I think about 30k per term, but I also think there is a big difference in cost of living depending on where in thailand you live, for example on recent visit to makro I saw some item 10 baht cheaper in one district than it was in another makro store in another district, not much variation 10 baht, but on a big shopping bill then surely quite a difference.

A very sensible lifestyle for the average 2+2 I would say. We own our own pad and there are only the two of us with 1 car and 2 Bikes. We get by very easily on 20,000 all included. We eat out once a month bigtime but only drink alcohol at home. Majority of shopping comes from Markets and once a month to Tesco. A simple life but a very happy one.

I'm 30 years old met my wife in thailand 7 years ago and i support the wife and 2 kids (1 mine) 1 previous marriage and we go though about 30,000 baht a month Most days we eat thai food but on a sunday we will go out and get some farrang food .

I work here and only get 20,000 a month but i also have a business here but i am trying to build it up slowly so most of the income we get from that goes back into the business .

been here for 4 years and just trying to get more income slowly hopefully in a fews years time it will pay off.

it's nappies and milk that cost the most money which makro seems to be the best for us and i got school fees coming up next year for my daughter .

so that will be the budget out the window.

Edited by rakchaingmai

Not sure what index you talk of. I used to see regular posts about the cost of living in Thailand. Not many any more. That is why I ask is there any up to date information ?

Thank you to those that have answered. If there is a link to a previous thread please let me know

We are a family of three, me British, wife Thai, Iysha 9.

We all eat Thai food,

We do things as a family, I do not really enjoy the bar scene

I love fishing, daughter dancing swimming and singing, wife likes hair being done and eating Somtam

I expect to pay for school for my daughter

Would like 3 bed house either rent or purchase - with pool own or communal ( probably rent )

Will buy a vehicle of some type, probably new with warranty ect

Any help would be great

How anyone can spend 100k+ a month is totally beyond me, our standard of living here on 40k, is way higher than in was back in the UK.

This seems a good lifestyle and as I said on an earlier post I can lead a good life on a lot less than 120k.

But 5,000 baht for food for 3 people over a month is 55baht a head per day even I'm not that frugal :)

Agreed. My dogs and cats get more than 55 THB each worth of food per day! Seriously.

• 2 months later...

Hello...just a comment. This info looks realistic. The only thing I don't get is its says for a single guy, but mentions nothing about women. :emot-kiss:

The 120k above is for a family.

For a single guy:

5k house (2 bed, furnished, very pleasant surroundings, not in a moobahn) or studio.

4k bills (electric, mobile, internet, water and True (less if in a Studio))

1.5k maintenance and fuel for a scooter

1k savings for new scooter every 3 or 4 years

5k going out (beer, cinema)

9k food (including restaurants, never cooking at home)

2k part time maid and laundry

4k holidays (assumes 2x10 day trips, one in Thailand, one in S.E Asia or a trip home, cost of 50k a year)

3k randoms (hair cut, clothes)

3k hobbies

So 37.5k a month for a good life.

EDIT - free health care off my employer - I think it'd be about 1.5k extra for health care.

It's hard to imagine how anyone could rack up a 5K per month electric bill. The highest bill I have ever had was about 2200 Baht in one month and that was with 3 aircons, 2 computers, 2 refrigerators and several fans going 24 hours + lights at night, 2 televisions on several hours per day, etc.

Not really, mine is only less than 5,000 in high season when we don't use air con that much.

It's expensive running the pool pump, think that accounts for half of it :ermm:

BTW My budget is about 100k , but my wife owns our house so thats one less expense.

But I never analyse where it goes...it just goes :(

BTW My budget is about 100k , but my wife owns our house so thats one less expense.

But I never analyse where it goes...it just goes :( - ThaiPauly

er... I may have spotted a clue. (But in many circumstances, analyzing is not worthwhile.)

From my house electric bills this last year, I suspect you are correct about your pool pump, however.