True Adsl Recently

stumonster

I have been a little unsuccesful in organising TOT adsl so I was thinking of just getting a true line installed and getting adsl through them. From some news clipping ( press releases , not the most reliable source ) it seems to me that true is actively attempting to bring a real adsl experience to their subscribers. I just wish to know from users at the moment how happy they are with their true connection - do you think you are getting your moneys worth. also what package you have would be helpful.

thx

My connection with True has been going through another episode of dodgyness for the last month or so - it seems to alternate between a state of being reasonably good and then reasonably crap. Overall its bearable, if not great. I'd suggest saving a few baht and going with a 256 or 512 package as I've never gotten anywhere near 1MB.

Anything's better than the constantly-dropping-out modem line I had for 18 months...

I'm relatively happy w/ our 1024/512 service. There have been some bad days that apparently affected all international traffic from Thailand recently, and a few others that I would attribute to True, but overall it has been more consistent than it was last year. I do occasionally do something that uses nearly all 1 Mb/s downlink speed during non-peak hours, but I mostly think of it as a symmetric 512/512 link and accept the price I am paying for that... the uplink is actually much more reliable than the downlink since apparently nobody in Thailand actually produces data. :o

I have heard reliable whispers that they are actively shaping P2P traffic but doing no other special QoS management, and it sure helps with my VOIP, ssh, and web traffic! A few months ago, I had to use the 2 Mb/s "bandwidth on demand" service to get VOIP calls working, but lately it doesn't seem to make a difference, i.e. if I am having congestion problems on the regular service, they will still be happening when I switch logins to the metered service. There is obvious daily fluctuation in congestion due to all the home users getting online in the evening, but I can still usually place calls between 8-10pm.

BTW, I am reporting from Bangkoknoi and there definitely seem to be neighboorhood-level differences in True experience in BKK, judging from previous threads here. Their infrastructure must be overcommitted in some areas of the city versus others.

I have been using 256kbps package and it is occasionally very bad. Overall its worth getting for 590+50baht VAT in Bangkok. If you want i suggest that u should go for the 1024 for i believe 840baht per month plus 7% VAT.

I am overall very happy with true.

the TRUE ADSL connection s.u.x.x.x.x most. here in BKK's outskirts, I get around 12-16 KB download speed in the evening hours, just the usual ISDN speed...... if I am very lucky, they reach 25-27 KB maybe once a week...... the only good thing is that I pay a flat rate of 500 Baht to be online 24 hours a day.... but the Speed really s.u.x.x.x

the TRUE ADSL connection s.u.x.x.x.x  most. here in BKK's outskirts,

where?

I rang true and asked about a new line to be installed - they said 3500 baht until I also mentioned I wish to have ADSL also and then it beacame 1700baht all up and the bloke would be around here in 2-5 days to do the job.

I am in the chaeng wattana - pak kret area ( near software house ) and I have signed up for 512/256 .

will keep you informed

From some news clipping ( press releases , not the most reliable source ) it seems to me that true is actively attempting to bring a real adsl experience to their subscribers.

You hit the nail on the head... my history with True has been a real experience! Seriously, True are the masters of the press release, as you probably discovered, they even issue their pr in English. I certainly would not sign up with True based on the fluff they write about themselves.

My 1024/512 bandwidth out here in Bangna was worse than terrible from day one, like dial-up speed, and got progressively worse until last week when it seems to have improved markedly. I can now make voip calls, but ftp download speeds have not improved a lot. There are ways, I've discovered, to bypass their shaping and get full speed out of your pipe when you need it, but most applications are stuck with the slow speed. I certainly could not recommend True, if given the choice I'd pick ANYONE else.

also and then it beacame 1700baht all up

just recieved a phone call today saying a messenger will be here on monday with a modem ( not wanted as I have an SMC barricade - is there a market for the true usb onse? ) and its 1070 baht not 1700.

stu

It is a fact that True deliberately provides less bandwidth than user demand to cut cost. This means that the faster the speed you sign up for, the more room for disappointment. For instance, I have the 1024kbps package, yet am often throttled down into the 100-200kbps range and thus mostly this higher priced package gets me no benefits over the 256kbps package. I complained and they have a pat answer of no guarantees on international bandwidth. And I have never, ever, ever seen 1mbit international bandwidth for the year I have had it--NEVER no matter the time of day or night. Domestic sure, but who uses that. They recommend their expensive guaranteed bandwidth packages if you want the connection to live up to its quoted speeds. Otherwise you are just sharing the bandwidth and will not get it.

I know people can feel pretty emotional when things don't work as expected, but I really do think the experience depends a huge amount on your location and your work habits. Some things about True that I'll claim as fact: :D

-- They only shape/throttle P2P protocols.

-- They have inept HTTP and FTP proxies that are often slower than the real server _and_ the international bandwidth available at the time. Getting around these is very useful.

-- The later afternoon and early evening are the most congested times... 6am-noon are the best.

-- As mentioned above, your neighborhood may have more congestion than someone else's.

I have seen nearly 1 Mb/s international speeds on a number of occasions when I was in a position to use it. Yes, a 24 hour average would be a lot lower because of those congested times of day, but even during those times I often can average 200-300 Kb/s or more of international bandwidth. Once in a while, it does seem to just stop.

Lastly, I used to have 144 Kb/s ADSL in Los Angeles (the best they could get me over the local copper), so I am probably easier to please than others when it comes to home service. :o (But I've also played with 10 Gb/s uplinks so I do know the difference!)