Buying Visas And Work Permit

While doing my research about the legal way to obtain long stay visa here I often run into warning comments along the lines of "the dodgy ads in Bangkok Post" Etc. selling/offering visas/work permits.

When I look in the paper it all looks like fairly legit legal companies offering their services for obtaining visas/wp the legal and correct way (which is what I want!).

That makes me wonder whether in the not distant past, there were actually companies "selling" visas/wps? One of the comments was that while they were obtained in a "special" way, they were the real thing - I.e. not fakes in any way.

Was this companies "selling" a "position" or how did it function? Or are they really refering to the ads I see in BKK Post every day!? :o

Cheers!

Ps. not refering to the dodgy document visa-run service (without you in person) here.

Edited by Firefan

Companies doing it the proper way just help you to get everything together.

They tell you what they need from you, fill in the forms, provide the copies, tell you where to sign on the dotted lines etc. etc.

They present all papers on your behalf to the authorities and might ask you at least once, to come along to immigration-office, to show your face.

In other words, they do the typing, filling in, but you sign. Than they do the legwork and the waiting for you.

Nothing wrong with this. You can do it youself, but they know what to do....

Lopburi; no, it is not the same. Here is the quote regarding work permit from the Stickman site:

Basically, it's a big pain in the ass if you are working and do not have a work permit. You have a few options available to you. You can "buy" a work permit from one of the firms advertising such services in the Bangkok Post and costs seem to be in the range of 12,000 - 20,000 baht. (The actual cost of application if someone is doing it legally is varies from 750 - 3,000 baht depending on the period of validity.) The way such work permits are obtained may or may not be questionable, but the permit itself is genuine. You can opt to exit and re-enter the country every three months and just come and go on tourist visas with extensions at the Immigration Department but really, this is a pain that no-one likes

Unquote

He comments seperately on the visa-doc-run without you in person.

Cheers!

Lopburi; no, it is not the same. Here is the quote regarding work permit from the Stickman site:

Basically, it's a big pain in the ass if you are working and do not have a work permit.  You have a few options available to you.  You can "buy" a work permit from one of the firms advertising such services in the Bangkok Post and costs seem to be in the range of 12,000 - 20,000 baht.  (The actual cost of application if someone is doing it legally is varies from 750 - 3,000 baht depending on the period of validity.)  The way such work permits are obtained may or may not be questionable, but the permit itself is genuine.  You can opt to exit and re-enter the country every three months and just come and go on tourist visas with extensions at the Immigration Department but really, this is a pain that no-one likes

Unquote

He comments seperately on the visa-doc-run without you in person.

Cheers!

But that is not what you asked in this paragraph:

While doing my research about the legal way to obtain long stay visa here I often run into warning comments along the lines of "the dodgy ads in Bangkok Post" Etc. selling/offering visas/work permits.

I agree with the above paragraph you quote but that was not your question and believe the majority of admonishments are aimed as I said at the old visa run type operation (which might again operate if people are not warned).

Hi Lopburi,

I am confused..... I specifically asked about that warning. I see nobody just "selling" a 30k wp OR visa... All the ads look like legit legal companies to me. So why the above warning?

Cheers!

Here is the warning (from stickman also) about the old style visa "run" obviously talking about something ELSE:

Another option, although a foolish one, was to go to one of the companies that offer a mischievously named "visa service" and have your passport sent out of the country, have it taken through all of the immigration exit and entry points with all the exit and re-entry stamps done and then brought back in. Costs for this varied from 1,700 to about 3,500 baht and like the work permit, the visa is acquired illegally but the visa itself is apparently, genuine. The problem with using such companies is that what they are doing is illegal and should anything happen while your passport is in their possession, you could be in a lot of shit.

Cheers!

Hi Lopburi,

I am confused..... I specifically asked about that warning. I see nobody just "selling" a 30k wp OR visa... All the ads look like legit legal companies to me. So why the above warning?

Cheers!

Call them and see what they say mate. I know a chap that ran one of them. Shonky to say the least.

Promise a lot, deliver very little!