Can Baby Get Dual Citizenship?

My landladies daughter was living in Australia and going to university for the last 3 years. She got pregnant there from an Australian man. He left the country and deserted her. She was all alone so came home to her mother in Thailand. She gave birth to their daughter in Thailand.

I really want to know if there is anyway she can obtain any kind of recognition from the Australian government that the baby is half Australian and can get some form of dual citizenship . Or is she just out in the cold on this. As any parent she wants opportunity for her child. Now she is realising that if her daughter is only recognised as Thai as far as citizenship is concerned that it could limit her ability to obtain visas and such in her adult life.

I really want to help her if I can. So please if anyone can point me in the right direction to assist her I personally will be forever grateful, and I am sure her and her daughter will be too.

I guess she can file a paternity suit, which means that the court will try and determine who the father is. If the court finds that mr X is the father, the child should be able to get the nationality of mr. X, in addition mr. X can be ordered to pay child support.

I understand her difficulty. Such a shame the baby was not born in Oz.. How much information does she have of the father? Name?, address in Oz.? Passport number?Does the fathers name appear on the Thai birth certificate? Any contact details of the father's family? Or can make contact with the fathers family? Any clue as to where the father is now?Any photos? Letters? Did she have contact with Oz doctors, before she returned to Thailand? This is going to be a very difficult exercise, I really appreciate that. But if you can build up a convincing dossier on him , and his family,you may be able to get somewhere. My children were born in Thailand, but I was here, so I had no problems registering them. How many of my questions can you answer here?. I look forward to your replies. Telstra have an on-line white pages directory, may help in tracking down his family, if they have a landline. Best of Luck, Bill

I understand her difficulty. Such a shame the baby was not born in Oz.. How much information does she have of the father? Name?, address in Oz.? Passport number?Does the fathers name appear on the Thai birth certificate? Any contact details of the father's family? Or can make contact with the fathers family? Any clue as to where the father is now?Any photos? Letters? Did she have contact with Oz doctors, before she returned to Thailand? This is going to be a very difficult exercise, I really appreciate that. But if you can build up a convincing dossier on him , and his family,you may be able to get somewhere. My children were born in Thailand, but I was here, so I had no problems registering them. How many of my questions can you answer here?. I look forward to your replies. Telstra have an on-line white pages directory, may help in tracking down his family, if they have a landline. Best of Luck, Bill

Are you suggesting that if the child was born in Oz then it would have Australian citizenship. I believe that this is incorrect. I seem to recall that this was changed several years ago ...to if the child parents are not Resident or Citizens of Australia then the child assumes the same visa status as the parent. So if the parents (at this time, it has only been established that the mother is Thai) was in Australia say on a student visa, the child would have the same status as a dependent of the student.

Are you suggesting that if the child was born in Oz then it would have Australian citizenship. I believe that this is incorrect. I seem to recall that this was changed several years ago ...to if the child parents are not Resident or Citizens of Australia then the child assumes the same visa status as the parent. So if the parents (at this time, it has only been established that the mother is Thai) was in Australia say on a student visa, the child would have the same status as a dependent of the student.

No.But you are quite correct, if both parents are not Aust. citizens. In this case ,it appears the father is Aust.. In which case, if the father can be found and paternitu proved, then the child is entitled to Aust. citizenship or nationality. Or if the mothers medical records can prove ,the child was conceived in Aust., and she can get other documentary evidence, she stands a fair chance. It is ,sadly, going to take a lot of effort by the O.P., I wish him luck. Bill