Customs Peek

wanderingstar

Hi. Some advice please folks.

Unfortunately [??] I am one of those rare mature Farang males who do not have a GF / LBF / BF as I am not an ATM, so do not have a steady semi-interpreter.

I have spent much time on the internet looking on the TPO site for info on postal rates, procedures and Customs advice and a few visits to my local TPO.

The latter only has one guy who speaks "A leetle English" but 100% more than his superiors and his English is so bad I have no idea of what he is saying.

The TPO website leaves a lot of unanswered Qs, and of course [As is normal in Thailand] writing to the TPO and asking was an exercise in futility

I am returning to N Zealand and cannot take all my personal effects collected here in 18 months on the plane and intend sending them later via Parcel Post in about 5 boxes, but that might not be where I will initially go.

I will send one box containing urgently needed stuff via air the day before I leave.

The rest non-urgent stuff can come via surface mail once I am settled in.

Here`s my dilemma:

The guy at the PO mumbled something about “Customs” ???

A Blog on Thailand Guru mentioned leaving the boxes unsealed but tied with string so that Customs officials can peek inside. He also mentions that if the boxes are sealed the postage rate is quite higher. He has not bothered to reply to 2 letters I sent him.

Of course I can get no info on this from TPO site or personnel.

My problem is that I have to leave the parcels with an acquaintance and his Thai GF and I am reluctant to leave them open for at least 3 months esp as these acquaintances are short of cash and even tho` I believe they are honest, I don’t know them that well and I don’t want to tempt them.

However today at the PO I posted a small parcel to my son in the UK and it was completely sealed. No problems. But I think as it only weighed 100gms it was as mail.

I got more out of the clerk and if I understood him - Yes there are 2 rates [sealed and open], and they do not have customs officer at each post office. Customs are somewhere else. BUT if the boxes are over 2 kg they MUST be sealed – No option.

The TPO man said nothing about having a list of contents on the boxes.

Is this required?

I have heard there may be a special TPO form required and stuck on the boxes.

If so, MUST it be a TPO form or will a handwritten piece of paper sealed in plastic and tied or taped to the boxes suffice?

Finally, how detailed must the list be?

Will Personal Effects do – or must every single item be detailed?

So, does anyone know the true situation?

you are over thinking the situation. I have shipped many times back and forth to Thailand. Thailand does not care what you are shipping out so long as its not illegal. The customs declaration is more for the destination, not the origin. Declaring it as personal items should suffice both here and the destination. If there is a problem, the post office will let you know.

That being said, if the items are of value to you I would use DHL or Fedex or at the vary least insured and traceable from the post office.

Also, some airlines will let you pay for excess baggage ahead of time, which may be cheaper than the post office or dhl fedex. When I first came here I was able to get a 100kg baggage allowance for next to nothing ahead of time.

Edited by BillR

Pack your stuff in boxes (yes seal them up). Make sure each box is less than 20Kg. Bring them to the post office.

For the express box grab an EMS form and fill it out.

For the other boxes grab an Airmail forms and fill it out (tick the "SAL" box on the airmail form is you want the slower/cheaper option).

You do not need any special paperwork, any forms that you need the post office cashier will give you when you are at the post office shipping your stuff.

The only customs that may look at your packages is going to be the customs in NZ and they may charge you some tax on your packages, but that's life not much you can do about that.

"Unfortunately [??] I am one of those rare mature Farang males who do not have a GF / LBF / BF as I am not an ATM"

Opening with a stupid comment like that, I'm surprised anyone has bothered to try and answer your question. What an ignorant generalisation. Maybe you are not able to attract a partner without paying them but there are plenty of others who can.

[quote name='BillR' timestamp='1288747553' post='3998260']

you are over thinking the situation. I have shipped many times back and forth to Thailand. Thailand does not care what you are shipping out so long as its not illegal. The customs declaration is more for the destination, not the origin. Declaring it as personal items should suffice both here and the destination. If there is a problem, the post office will let you know.

That being said, if the items are of value to you I would use DHL or Fedex or at the vary least insured and traceable from the post office.

Also, some airlines will let you pay for excess baggage ahead of time, which may be cheaper than the post office or dhl fedex. When I first came here I was able to get a 100kg baggage allowance for next to nothing ahead of time.

Hi BillR

Many thanks mate.

Very intrigued by the advance excess. Will def look into it.

Pack your stuff in boxes (yes seal them up). Make sure each box is less than 20Kg. Bring them to the post office.

For the express box grab an EMS form and fill it out.

For the other boxes grab an Airmail forms and fill it out (tick the "SAL" box on the airmail form is you want the slower/cheaper option).

You do not need any special paperwork, any forms that you need the post office cashier will give you when you are at the post office shipping your stuff.

The only customs that may look at your packages is going to be the customs in NZ and they may charge you some tax on your packages, but that's life not much you can do about that.

Thanks Dave111223

"Unfortunately [??] I am one of those rare mature Farang males who do not have a GF / LBF / BF as I am not an ATM"

Opening with a stupid comment like that, I'm surprised anyone has bothered to try and answer your question. What an ignorant generalisation. Maybe you are not able to attract a partner without paying them but there are plenty of others who can.

Your opinion,which I wont dignify with a reply, as you have NO sense of humour. Sad.