Tt & T Deploy Adsl In Chiang Mai

Guest IT Manager

Guest IT Manager

It has been reported that TT & T has begum deployment of (according to the source) 50 ADSL "Hubs" in CM area.

I am meeting with Engineers from TT & T on Monday to find out exactly what is being deployed, and where, and will keep forum members updated.

My interest was raised when the news item said "hubs" which in my microscopic knowledge of ADSL is not the normal term used. I am also interested in several people saying that CM does not have the infrasctructure to roll out the end user services in place nor does it have the engineering support necessary.

From Chiang Mai City Life Website

"The Silicon Triangle

To support the new ICT City, which Chiang Mai, Kon Kaen and Phuket are slated to become, TT&T is planning to begin placing ADSL cables throughout the entire province. With a total of 50 odd hubs scattered all over Chiang Mai, the cost for one month's, no time limit, 128 megabyte cable would cost only 1,700 baht. By January the city as well as its surrounding amphoe should be connected by this massive information superhighway. Amphoe such as Vieng Hang and Om Koy, which are much further afield, may have a few months further to wait.

Academics from CMU and the President of the Computer Business Association Chiang Mai have warned that Chiang Mai is nowhere near ready to support such a plan as we lack infrastructure and qualified personnel, as well as information content. They warned that the elements cited need to be in place to even begin thinking about such a project creating any income, and that the process should not be rushed."

If you go to the TT&T web site and search if your phone no. is usable for ADSL until recently it just said no for Chiang Mai or a 053 no. was not accepted at all. Now you get a date when it is planned, I got April 2547, so next year. of course +/- Thailand variability!!

Would be happy to learn more from somebody more informed.

Cheers, Holm

Guest IT Manager

First, of the planned 35 hubs to be located in CM, 6 are in place, one is working.

Cable preferential length is 5km, not 3 km.

They will doa test on your current copper before installing to it.

Cost will be 1,400 - 1,700 baht for 1 month, nolimits applied in bandwidth or time.

ISP is Ji_Net. 3000 baht per month for 128 K 256 Leased line will be 6,000 per month.

No engineering support currently resident in CM but they are moving 2 people up from BKK for training.

Present plan is 35 nodes throughout the Changwat. Lamphun etc will get theirs fitted in the next 6 months.

Apply via TT & T office nearest you physically. Currently operating node is T. Sridonchai. The rest will be active over the next few weeks.

IT

Very interesting post IT.

To deploy the nodes, the infra-structure must already be in place (i.e WCDMA digital exchanges). I wonder if all exchanges in Thailand are compatable and the providers just need to get their arse in gear and roll-out the service with support).

Perhaps it is not a coincidence that a certain WCDMA technology company is planning re-thinking its nationwide WCDMA projects

WCDMA