I Want To Use My 120v/60hz Espresso Maker!

worldwalker

Hello, I've read through the threads about this issue of using American appliances in Thailand. (Curses, why do we have to do everything different?!) Looks like I would have been better off just buying an espresso machine here. But, here it is, and I tried using it with my cheap 'travel converter' that I got in the states, and it didn't work. Seems the pump cant get enough pressure. (It sounds like it's running a little slow, and very weakly.)

I did a bit of research on the net on my travel converter, and found comments like this: "These units are NOT transformers, but are partial-angle-conducting thyristors that generate lots of high-voltage spikes and non-sinusoidal waveforms. The peak voltages are NOT reduced from 240V, only the power cycle. These converters are only to be used on resistive loads that don't care about the nasty output, like hair dryers, etc. Don't use them on your laptop either."

So, I'm guessing the pump in my espresso machine does not like this 'nasty' power output, and that my beloved espresso maker, might, just might work if I go down to Panthip of some electronics store, and buy a true 240v-120v step down transformer with the proper power rating. But of course this leaves the 50hz issue, and uncertainty in my mind. Will the pump run with a 'clean' 120V/50hz ac current?

So, I want to know if anybody out there has experience with this issue, or any wise words of advise. The instuction for the machine (starbucks barista) are mute on this issue, but I intend to call them tonight (though I expect them to say they don't recommend using it outside the US).

The 220-110 step down transformer is the way to go and easy to buy. As for the 50/60 Hz issue it shouldn't be a problem. If the pump is an async motor it will run slightly slower and a little warmer then normal. But since you don't pump for several hours it won't be a problem.

Your pump seems to be using an AC motor instead of the normal DC if it is running slow and that can not be fixed without replacement of the motor.

Slightly slower as in 17% on a cheap motor that is probably only marginal at best (the US is cost cut max land). :o I had the same problem with one of the popcorn hot air poppers years ago - just too slow on 50hz.

Edited by lopburi3

Hello, I've read through the threads about this issue of using American appliances in Thailand.  (Curses, why do we have to do everything different?!)  Looks like I would have been better off just buying an espresso machine here.  But, here it is, and I tried using it with my cheap 'travel converter' that I got in the states, and it didn't work.  Seems the pump cant get enough pressure.  (It sounds like it's running a little slow, and very weakly.)

I did a bit of research on the net on my travel converter, and found comments like this:  "These units are NOT transformers, but are partial-angle-conducting thyristors that generate lots of high-voltage spikes and non-sinusoidal waveforms. The peak voltages are NOT reduced from 240V, only the power cycle. These converters are only to be used on resistive loads that don't care about the nasty output, like hair dryers, etc. Don't use them on your laptop either."

So, I'm guessing the pump in my espresso machine does not like this 'nasty' power output, and that my beloved espresso maker, might, just might work if I go down to Panthip of some electronics store, and buy a true 240v-120v step down transformer with the proper power rating.  But of course this leaves the 50hz issue, and uncertainty in my mind.  Will the pump run with a 'clean' 120V/50hz ac current?

So, I want to know if anybody out there has experience with this issue, or any wise words of advise.  The instuction for the machine (starbucks barista) are mute on this issue, but I intend to call them tonight (though I expect them to say they don't recommend using it outside the US).

dont worry, there are plenty of good coffee shops nowadays!!

The 220-110 step down transformer is the way to go and easy to buy.  As for the 50/60 Hz issue it shouldn't be a problem.  If the pump is an async motor it will run slightly slower and a little warmer then normal.  But since you don't pump for several hours it won't be a problem.

Thanks.

I got myself a 1000W 220V->110V step down transformer at Pata for 1550B. Seems to work great. Perhaps the pump works slightly slower, but it's hard to tell; Seems to work just as at home. Makes great espresso drinks and that's what counts.

I was tempted to go with a 500W or 700W version. Partly to save some baht, but also because the 1000W one must weigh like 10 kilos which I did not want to lug home! Figured with just a few minutes usage the thing was unlikely to overheat. In a moment of sanity though I got the properly rated one. Maybe a vague childhood memory of an expoding transformer from a neighborhood powerline had something to do with it. (Then again if I was really concerned, I probably would have opted for the 3500B foreign model, instead of the Thai manufactured one.)