Hi Farang People

smb

hay all im 27 year old male from the middle east.im here in bangkok now ,and will stay for about 6 months.im a gemologist planning to do some business.im finding it really hard to comunicate with people here i dont know is it just me or you guys faced the same problem?!!!!! anyways im glad to find this site and hope u guys welcome me as a friend........ :o:D

Welcome!!!

I also found out that english communication depends a lot of your original language!

When I speak my german style english which sounds pretty hard, Thais have there problems understanding me, if my wife speaks english without the "t" and "r", they understand her very well......

If you come from middle east your english might be simillar to mine and difficult for the locals.....

gemologist, what is that? Dealing with Gems?

there are funny words for most nationalities, for black, for arabs, for jewish, for europeans and and and....

Everything a bit rassistic, but in a mild funny way, nut really insulting.

Have a nice time in Thailand!!!!!

h90

hay all im 27 year old male from the middle east.im here in bangkok now ,and will stay for about 6 months.im a gemologist planning to do some business.im finding it really hard to comunicate with people here i dont know is it just me or you guys faced the same problem?!!!!! anyways im glad to find this site and hope u guys welcome me as a friend........ :o  :D

Welcome!!!

I also found out that english communication depends a lot of your original language!

When I speak my german style english which sounds pretty hard, Thais have there problems understanding me, if my wife speaks english without the "t" and "r", they understand her very well......

If you come from middle east your english might be simillar to mine and difficult for the locals.....

there are funny words for most nationalities, for black, for arabs, for jewish, for europeans and and and....

h90

hay all im 27 year old male from the middle east.im here in bangkok now ,and will stay for about 6 months.im a gemologist planning to do some business.im finding it really hard to comunicate with people here i dont know is it just me or you guys faced the same problem?!!!!! anyways im glad to find this site and hope u guys welcome me as a friend........ :D  :D

that could be true , now for about 2 hours im waiting for laundry to come over but still they speak tie and i speak english !!! i went to the buliding ofice and found a man who speakes a bit of english ,i told him what i want and he sounded like he understood that was 2 hours ago :o > i will try to get rid of the ® and talk to him again :D ....

gemologist is dealing with gems yes

thank you for welcoming me im glad :D:):D

welcome smb. i hope you enjoy your stay.

actually farang does not strictly mean white person, it means foreigner in a general sense. while all white persons would generally be refered to as farang, some non-white persons (such as myself - i'm oriental asian) have also been refered to as farang by thai people (although probably less frequently). it's not a very straight-forward notion and like thailand, can often seem contradictory.

i am very curious about what specifically you do in the gem trade. i have noticed many middle eastern and african people in bangkok the last few years and i hear they are mostly in gems or textiles, but i often wonder, why exactly is thailand attracting so many foreigners from these industries.

I'm curious about the arabic/north african to Thailand biz migration as well. If you visit the 'little Arabia' soi behind suk soi 3, it's like a blend of these regions. SMB, you might do well to venture over there to meet others from your part o' the world, whom are already doing biz here. They might show you the "local" ropes.

Might be a bit tough tho, I hardly ever see anyone smiling over there?? Just a bunch of guys growling at each other or quietly smoking the pipes whilst women follow behind dutifully in full concealment... Having said that, the food's fabulous and highly recommended!

EDIT/ thedude and the_dude - DUDES, I just realised you're two different posters (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer) :D One or the other of you Dudes might want to change your handle to save confusion- altho your styles are certainly distinct :o

Edited by baht&sold

welcome smb.  i hope you enjoy your stay.

actually farang does not strictly mean white person, it means foreigner in a general sense.  while all white persons would generally be refered to as farang, some non-white persons (such as myself - i'm oriental asian) have also been refered to as farang by thai people (although probably less frequently).  it's not a very straight-forward notion and like thailand, can often seem contradictory.

i am very curious about what specifically you do in the gem trade.  i have noticed many middle eastern and african people in bangkok the last few years and i hear they are mostly in gems or textiles, but i often wonder, why exactly is thailand attracting so many foreigners from these industries.

well thailand is like the mekkah of collerd stones for many reasons . naghboring countries like burma and cambodia bring there gems to bangkok.bangkok is well knowen for its gem bus. but in the other hand there are alot of sckamers and fake gems.

most come here for the good quality of making jewls and the cheap price.

im here because im planing to open my own jewl shop,so im going to look around for designers, gems and all

haha, yes i did point that out to The Dude when he first joined TV but apparently he failed to act on it.:o  :D

and I thought I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer... You're THEDude in that case! :D

SMB, good luck on the jewellery trade in Bkk- if you're an honest one, you'll be a trendsetter and have a full shop. The other option is to employ annoying touts and tuk tuk drivers... let us know what you decide and you might get some business from the many members here :D

Edited by baht&sold

I'm curious about the arabic/north african to Thailand biz migration as well. If you visit  the 'little Arabia' soi behind suk soi 3, it's like a blend of these regions. SMB, you might do well to venture over there to meet others from your part o' the world, whom are already doing biz here. They might show you the "local" ropes.

Might be a bit tough tho, I hardly ever see anyone smiling over there?? Just a bunch of guys growling at each other or quietly smoking the pipes whilst women follow behind dutifully in full concealment... Having said that, the food's fabulous and highly recommended!

EDIT/ thedude and the_dude - DUDES, I just realised you're two different posters (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer)  :D One or the other of you Dudes might want to change your handle to save confusion- altho your styles are certainly distinct  :o

very true i went there and they dont seem to smile alot,thinking about it they must have passed threw hard time to make them move and live over here....and most of them are orignally from iraq or the countries serounding it dont want to get into politics.......

will try the food thoguh i hope its good

haha, yes i did point that out to The Dude when he first joined TV but apparently he failed to act on it.:o  :D

and I thought I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer... You're THEDude in that case! :D

SMB, good luck on the jewellery trade in Bkk- if you're an honest one, you'll be a trendsetter and have a full shop. The other option is to employ annoying touts and tuk tuk drivers... let us know what you decide and you might get some business from the many members here :D

:D lol i think i will go with the first option :D

lets just hope that i dont get sckamed in the first place :D

lol, once I met 2 guys from Iran, we had a lot of fun and made a lot of jokes, and there were also 2 of my Thai friends, who speak well english and they told me they did not understand one word. The two Irans spoke very well, but spoke it very hard and no chance for any Thais to understand them, but for me (Austrian) very easy to understand......

Anyway good luck for your project!

Welcome!!!

h90

hay all im 27 year old male from the middle east.im here in bangkok now ,and will stay for about 6 months.im a gemologist planning to do some business.im finding it really hard to comunicate with people here i dont know is it just me or you guys faced the same problem?!!!!! anyways im glad to find this site and hope u guys welcome me as a friend........ :D  :D

that could be true , now for about 2 hours im waiting for laundry to come over but still they speak tie and i speak english !!! i went to the buliding ofice and found a man who speakes a bit of english ,i told him what i want and he sounded like he understood that was 2 hours ago :o > i will try to get rid of the ® and talk to him again :D ....

gemologist is dealing with gems yes

thank you for welcoming me im glad :D:):D

haha, yes i did point that out to The Dude when he first joined TV but apparently he failed to act on it.  i wonder how many others now mistake him for me,or me for him, or her... :D  :D

Hard to confuse you, 2 totally different styles...... :D

Not suprised The Dude failed to respond to you about the mutual name........ :o

haha, yes i did point that out to The Dude when he first joined TV but apparently he failed to act on it.  i wonder how many others now mistake him for me,or me for him, or her... :D  :D

Totally different styles... I'm surprised The Dude is still posting (in his rather unique inimitable style)... :D

Yin dee ton rab, smb!

("Yin dee ton rab" means "welcome" in Thai).

Stay positive - but also stay on guard and trust your gut instinct, and you will be fine. Remember a smile can mean many things, anything from "I like you" to "I would like to kill you but I am trying to conceal it" to "There is a bogey showing in your nose but if I told you, I would spoil the fun for everybody else"... :o

Also, nodding one's head violently while smiling (especially from a tuk-tuk driver) usually means "I have not a clue what you are saying, but if I nod my head like this and smile you will probably jump in anyway, and I will make some money".

Totally different styles... I'm surprised The Dude is still posting (in his rather unique inimitable style)... :D

thanks guys. suppose one fine day you log on to your beloved TV and find someone named jaidee or Derek Lev or Sweedish Meatball has joined the forum? and the new member is prolific and popular. one day, he makes it to bedlam and eventually gets crowned moderator, and before long, he alerts the forum that here is this other guy sharing his name! before you know it, rumours spread and in a last ditch confrontation to save your good name, you are roundly discredited by a mob of TV newbies and forced to flee to another less illustrious forum moderated by english teachers. this, this, is the nightmare that i live with everyday. :D:D:D

Falang is white people. Thais has fun words for every group of people, they don't like to leave anybody out. :o

thanks for the info.....i dont even wanna know what they call me hehehehehehe :D

Did you know that smb is English for Sausage,mash & beans? :D

Travel a bit further north and is sad mackem bastard - they both taste the same though :D

thanks guys. suppose one fine day you log on to your beloved TV and find someone named jaidee or Derek Lev or Sweedish Meatball has joined the forum? and the new member is prolific and popular. one day, he makes it to bedlam and eventually gets crowned moderator, and before long, he alerts the forum that here is this other guy sharing his name! before you know it, rumours spread and in a last ditch confrontation to save your good name, you are roundly discredited by a mob of TV newbies and forced to flee to another less illustrious forum moderated by english teachers. this, this, is the nightmare that i live with everyday. :D:D:D

:D:D Wow! What an imagination... love the story...!!

Falang is white people. Thais has fun words for every group of people, they don't like to leave anybody out. :D

thanks for the info.....i dont even wanna know what they call me hehehehehehe :D

heheh they might call you "Khak" in case you wanna know :o

Bambi :D

That doesn't sound good. :D

thats the real colours of Thailand. Don't expect too much..... :D

Falang is white people. Thais has fun words for every group of people, they don't like to leave anybody out. :D

heheh they might call you "Khak" in case you wanna know :o

Bambi :D

That doesn't sound good. :D

thats the real colours of Thailand. Don't expect too much..... :D

hi amal do u know what amal means in arabic?

it means hope :D:)