Anyone Travel To/From The Us To Thailand Lately?

Everett

I'm going to have to travel home sometime in the future... there is no avoiding it. So I'm trying to determine now what airports (if any) on the Western side of the US (I will probably have to fly into California or Oregon.) DON'T have naked body scanners in use. (If that's even possible) And also which airports might be known for having more friendly customs immigration?

Last time I left the US they had just started using the naked body scanners and when I told them I wasn't going in it, they tried to intimidate and harass me for it.

So if anyone has any input or experience with their recent travels to or from corporate USA please share.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these things help keep terrorists from bringing explosives on aircraft I am all for them.

Do you have something to hide?

I have been to the US and back many times I have not however been to Corporate, America? Where may I ask is that located?

Perhaps to you I am just a plebian, not worthy of a corporate response :lol:

@Sarahsbloke

That's not a stupid question. I'm not sure if I can post links here or not but you can google naked body scanners or full body scanners.

They're the big devices that have been implemented in many airports this last year. The TSA makes the passengers go inside of the machine, then put their hands up in the air (like they're about to be arrested) and then the machine uses a kind of x-ray to take a 3D picture of the naked person's body.

If I may ask a stupid question

What is a naked body scanner?

If your lucky enough, the bird who gives you the once over with her thingy, has no clothes on, sounds cool to me. :D

Given the shape and size of the majority of TSA female security staff at US airports, I really would not like to see them naked.

It would however most likely deter nearly all terrorists from catching a flight!

Edited by Lakegeneve

@kilgore

Which terrorists did they stop from bringing bombs on planes? -- also keep it on topic please.. In all honestly I'm not interested in your opinion regarding that. I simply want to know what was originally asked in the first topic.

1. What airports don't have them. 2. And what airports are known to be more friendly.

@Pacificperson

Exactly. And if you've ever experienced not going through, or have read others' stories about not going through the scanner, they try to make a big deal out of you being one of the few in line choosing not to go through. Like I said in my first post when I told them no, they intimidated and harassed me for it. I was literally threatened with 'Do you ever wanna fly again?' while I was waiting for my pat down. It's nothing to do with terrorism. It's about conditioning and making everyone submit.

@kilgore

Which terrorists did they stop from bringing bombs on planes? -- also keep it on topic please.. In all honestly I'm not interested in your opinion regarding that. I simply want to know what was originally asked in the first topic.

1. What airports don't have them. 2. And what airports are known to be more friendly.

Which terrorists did they stop? We will never know as that is the point of a deterrent. ;)

Sorry if I missed it.

But was is your problem with going in a body scanner?

What's the big deal?

If it is not based on a specific civil liberties or privacy issue - for which there are some legitimate concerns - but which the OP has not mentioned, usually people are concerned due to some parts sensitive parts of the body either being too small or too big depending on their insecurity.

If it is that much of a concern, just fly to Canada and cross the border by bus.

I suspect in 5-10 years time these scanners will be ubiquitous.

Edited by Lakegeneve

The OP is right. The scanners go too far. I hate the word sheeple, but in this case, it may be apt. Of course if you need to fly, there is no choice (or take the option for the aggressive search). BTW, I have nothing to hide, that charge against people who don't like the security excesses is offensive and wrong. For example, the shoes and water thing. The shoes things is a waste and for water, they could just ask people to drink some, problem solved.

Edited by Jingthing

They are unconstitutional kevev1888. They violate the 4th amendment.

Do you know what kind of country the founding fathers left us with? What kind of government was established? What was fought for in 1776?

It was NOT a Democracy! If you are unfamiliar with this please use a search engine and do some reading about it.

Do you know what kind of country the founding fathers left us with? What kind of government was established? What was fought for in 1776?

It was NOT a Democracy! If you are unfamiliar with this please use a search engine and do some reading about it.

You are on a slippery slope there; in a true democracy if the majority decided to kill the minority then that would be alright. :(

In a humble effort to answer the OP's question, I just flew into SFO via Taipei and returned through SFO via Taipei. The full body scan was done on me in SFO, the only place. The TSA guy's attitude was very poor to say the least, and I was made to empty all my pockets of everything, plastic, paper, money...everything. I have nothing to hide but was returning from several coin shows, carrying several valuable coins (easy guys, nothing over the legal monetary limit). Very uncomfortable to allow EVERYONE to see what I was carrying. Their security is important, of course, but so is mine, I feel.

The only other Port of Entry I have used in the last year is Seattle, no body scan but the usual attitude...very poor.

Okay guys, have at the OP all you want, he really is just looking for an answer, ya know.

mario299 :whistling:

I just read an article from a US paper that said that they were installing more of the body scanners at more airports all through the USA but the locations were kept secret until they actually went into use. I would like to know what he is so worried about security seeing?

Yes, America is a constitutional republic of states, not a single national democracy. And rule #1 for the country's leaders is national defense. These scanners are part of the civilian equivalent of the first line of national defense, although the hypocrisy rapidly emerges in light of the porous southern border. While the point is certainly arguable, the obligation to national defense outweighs the right to unreasonable search and siezure.

But I agree with sentiments that the TSA is getting completely over the top, somewhat in the realm of intrusive searches and very much so with attidude and lack of basic human courtesy. I would much rather see nations take more drastic steps to eliminate the source of these problems rather than mistreat grey-haired old ladies. One could argue that the manufacturers of scanners and related equipment don't really care so much about seeing their main sales bullet points disappear.

Going through scanners, whether whole body, contraband sniffing, or just your average everyday metal detector, are a fact of life with international air travel. I don't like the intrusion any more than you, but my need to get to Thailand from abroad and back again outweighs the inconvenience of having to be scanned, usually at every hop in the itinerary.

As for points of entry from, Thailand, it's pretty straightforward .... SEA, SFO, LAX, LAS, DFW, MSP, DTW, ORD, JFK, EWR, ATL, IAD. Pick your poison, so to speak. I doubt you will find much difference when it comes to international security. Another poster suggested coming through Canada, but I would suggest that would be found to be quite expensive.

Why in the world should I worry about a full body scanner. Just had three kidney stones lithotripsy removed three weeks ago. That's a dozen people in a small room looking at my junk. Two days ago I had a drop dead gorgeous Chinese American resident (female) an assisting nurse and a male teaching surgeon remove the stent, your not asleep for this doesn't really hurt and your internals are on 4 screens to see whats happening. My second surgery of the year the just as many people looking at my naked body with the first one.

It's only the shell you travel in don't get uptight over a few people checking you out, I'm sure they've seen better and are truly bored looking at people pass through the scanner and probably give not a thought to what they've seen only what they're looking for.

Which Airports Have Full Body Scanners?

Currently, there are 40 active full body scanners at 19 different airports.

Albuquerque International Airport (ABQ)

Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL)

Baltimore-Washington International (BWI)

Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport (DFW)

Denver International Airport (DEN)

Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport (DTW)

Indianapolis International Airport (IND)

Jacksonville International Airport (JAX)

Las Vegas-McCarran Airport (LAS)

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)

Miami International Airport (MIA)

Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX)

Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)

Richmond International Airport (RIC)

Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)

San Francisco International Airport (SFO)

Tampa International Airport (TPA)

Tulsa International Airport (TUL)

Washington DC’s Reagan National (DCA)

Amsterdam-Schipol Airport (AMS)

However, there are 11 more airports that are currently in the process of receiving them. This list includes:

Boston Logan International Airport

Chicago O’Hare International Airport

Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport

Mineta San Jose International Airport

Los Angeles International Airport

Port Columbus Unternational Airport

Oakland International Airport

San Diego International Airport

Kansas City International Airport

Charlotte Douglas International Airport

The above listed sources through March 05, 2010.

Also Sea-Tac Airport has recently installed them.

Maybe he wears a bra and panties on international fights? ;)

Perhaps he is in the process of transgendering, ie a man with female facial features and boobs but still has his male genital organs, or a woman with male features and a hairy male chest but no male genital appendages yet.

To the OP I say, don't worry, the operators of those machines have already seen it all.

Let us accept that these safety checks are for our own safety. The only time I felt a little apprehensive on a flight was when, after boarding was completed, a female passenger left the plane because her tearful, Arab-looking boyfriend beseeched her not to leave. The plane took off immediately afterwards, and this was at a time when it was already a requirement that no luggage was to leave without the passenger, and I had seen that woman check in a suitcase, which was not taken off the plane before take-off, and her boyfriend say good-bye to her. How could I be sure that he did not place a bomb in her luggage, primed to explode when the aircraft reached a certain height? This happened many years ago, shortly after an Irish pregnant woman brought down a plane because her Arab terrorist boyfriend had put an explosive device in her check-in luggage.

You can "opt out" of the body-scanner; simply tell the nearest TSA Agent. You will then be directed off to the side and patted down by a same-sex agent wearing latex gloves and using the back of their hands in sensitive areas.

I opted out during my most recent departure; my only encounter with the body scanner, in part because of a concern about radiation exposure - people have to stand still for 15 seconds, and because I have some concerns regarding the security of the images, no matter how much the TSA assures me that they are quickly deleted. The sample images shown to the public have been de-enhanced so as to look harmless. The real images are shockingly revealing, which is what one would assume given their purpose.

I can't comment on which airports have friendlier CPB Agents. I guess you could fly into Canada and drive across the border? Canadian border agents are, IMLE, very belligerent. I return to the U.S. ~ 6 times per year and have never had anything but a pleasant experience entering the country, in say 200 entries. I almost always get a "welcome home" greeting when they hand me my passport.

I saw a movie the other day and it had a great part about airport security. The guy said, if people are so concerned about their privacy and the rights of terrorists, we will have 2 lines in the future. One where we use every possible source of information to help secure our flights. Questioning of terrorists, CIA intelligence, full body scanners, etc. Then, we will have another line where we use nothing, don't scan, don't x-ray, don't check luggage...nothing. Which line will you use? I think the unsecure line will be pretty empty...except for terrorists.

I don't see the big deal. If it helps to keep just one plane from being bombed, then it's a great idea...especially if I am on that plane!

Does this mean when you go in for a prostate exam, you tell the doc you are not interested? They are seeing WAY more of you than that scanner.

I travel back to the US 2 or 3 times a year. I've always been treated with respect. Never had a problem. Sure, they are working hard. Don't smile that much. But I don't think I would either having to deal with all the crazy travelers...most who are stressed out and jet lagged due to their trips.

@Pacificperson

Exactly. And if you've ever experienced not going through, or have read others' stories about not going through the scanner, they try to make a big deal out of you being one of the few in line choosing not to go through. Like I said in my first post when I told them no, they intimidated and harassed me for it. I was literally threatened with 'Do you ever wanna fly again?' while I was waiting for my pat down. It's nothing to do with terrorism. It's about conditioning and making everyone submit.

What utter rubbish gues you are a conspiracy freak

I saw a movie the other day and it had a great part about airport security. The guy said, if people are so concerned about their privacy and the rights of terrorists, we will have 2 lines in the future. One where we use every possible source of information to help secure our flights. Questioning of terrorists, CIA intelligence, full body scanners, etc. Then, we will have another line where we use nothing, don't scan, don't x-ray, don't check luggage...nothing. Which line will you use? I think the unsecure line will be pretty empty...except for terrorists.

I don't see the big deal. If it helps to keep just one plane from being bombed, then it's a great idea...especially if I am on that plane!

Does this mean when you go in for a prostate exam, you tell the doc you are not interested? They are seeing WAY more of you than that scanner.

I travel back to the US 2 or 3 times a year. I've always been treated with respect. Never had a problem. Sure, they are working hard. Don't smile that much. But I don't think I would either having to deal with all the crazy travelers...most who are stressed out and jet lagged due to their trips.

Hi Craig I will be going back shortly and have not been for some time can you pass on info about carriers and routes you find the best ? I will be going to West coast