Anyone Travel To/From The Us To Thailand Lately?

Everett

Napolitano 'open' to fliers' gripes over screening

But, she said, "if there are adjustments we need to make to these procedures as we move forward, we have an open ear. We will listen."

Another peaked ping on my bullshit detector. J-Nap is little more than a hypocritical and incompetent political hack. While governor of Arizona, she put up a reasonable fight for border protection. As head of H.S., she has consistently and repeatedly fought against current AZ guv Jan Brewer's attempts to stem the flow of illegals and seal the border. All she has done in two years is do her fair share to increase the level of government tyranny against loyal law abiding citizens of the US, while doing everything possible to accommodate illegals. In the wake of the recent elections, I doubt the people and airlines will remain silent. The administration will either submit to the will of the people or be tossed out on their asses in two years.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US airport security staff touch a nerve

By Sebastian Smith (AFP) – 59 minutes ago

NEW YORK — An American traveler who refused to have his groin patted down before boarding a plane has become a folk hero for opponents of full body scanners and other invasive checks.

Footage of John Tyner's confrontation with a San Diego airport official over the weekend went viral after being posted on YouTube.

"If you touch my junk I am going to have you arrested," Tyner, 31, threatens the Transport Security Administration officer, in reference to his genitals.

A poll out Tuesday showed eight of 10 Americans support the full body X-ray machines being installed across the country to check under passengers' clothes. Under the new rules, those refusing to submit must undergo the kind of extensive hand search that Tyner also declined.

Read more: www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jaLDxc9XMzwy07iPnGAUp2ibTW6A?docId=CNG.fdbb7c4f77a7e27e62fcb703b7e9f08a.31

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

NEW YORK — An American traveler who refused to have his groin patted down before boarding a plane has become a folk hero for opponents of full body scanners and other invasive c

"We are going to be doing a groin check. That means I am going to place my hand on your hip, my other hand on your inner thigh. Slowly go up and slide down," the official says in the popular YouTube footage. After his outburst, Tyner was told to leave the airport and threatened with prosecution.

IMAGINE DOING THIS TO A VEILDED MUSLIM LADY .???

heaven forbid. :jap:

Well, looks like the scanners are global now. I subscribe to an email travel newsletter, and here is what he just had to say!

MY MOST THOROUGH PAT-DOWN

Believe me, the TSA and I have different opinions on the subject of these machines but unfortunately in today's terrorist-filled world we need to take precautions. So if you opt out of the full-body scan, you deserve a good pat-down. I've had many where I felt like I was being groped, but never more so than during the one I had in Copenhagen. I beeped going through the metal detector (my trusty belt, which doesn't set off the alarms in the U.S., did so here), and was therefore subjected to the most thorough pat-down I've ever had, performed by a beautiful blonde Danish security officer. When she was done, I fastened my belt and said with a smile, "I think we need to do that again."

Happy Travels,

Johnny Jet

Fastened my belt? Wow...what a pat down! :D

Well, looks like the scanners are global now. I subscribe to an email travel newsletter, and here is what he just had to say!

MY MOST THOROUGH PAT-DOWN

I beeped going through the metal detector (my trusty belt,

Johnny Jet

Fastened my belt? Wow...what a pat down! :D

I'd conclude that this was a WTMD and not a body scanner? While there are body scanners in some int'l airports (AMS, LHR, MAN), and a pilot program was announced for CPH this year, I can find no supporting experiences or articles indicating these are operating at CPH.

It is interesting that Israeli security experts state that these body scanners do not prevent committed individuals from smuggling explosives onto a plane and they are not used at at TLV.

The TSA clearly made a gigantic PR mistake. They launched this more aggressive posture on Nov. 1 without any preparation for travelers. Then they are surprised when there is push-back. They should have been preparing travelers for at least 3 months with a massive campaign about the upcoming changes. (I know, you'll say this would have given the terrorists warning too.)

The amount of negative stories is amazing but hardly surprising.

A couple of related topics: TSA employees have full immunity from prosecution for any activities involving their interaction with travelers. So if a TSA employee did assault you there is nothing you can do as they have immunity. Many people are asking that this immunity be revised or removed.

TSA employees are part of a labor union, but do not have collective bargaining rights (which includes the ability to strike, but perhaps the Railroad Emergency Act would be invoked?) now. The DHS/TSA is expected to make a decision on this soon. There is pressure on both sides of this issue.

Pat-Downs at Airports Prompt Complaints

Pat-Downs at Airports Prompt Complaints

By SUSAN STELLIN

In the three weeks since the Transportation Security Administration began more aggressive pat-downs of passengers at airport security checkpoints, traveler complaints have poured in.

Some offer graphic accounts of genital contact, others tell of agents gawking or making inappropriate comments, and many express a general sense of powerlessness and humiliation. In general passengers are saying they are surprised by the intimacy of a physical search usually reserved for police encounters.

“I didn’t really expect her to touch my vagina through my pants,” said Kaya McLaren, an elementary schoolteacher from Cle Elum, Wash., who was patted down at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport last Saturday because the body scanner detected a tissue and a hair band in her pocket.

Read more: www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/business/19security.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

TSA back-pedaling on a number of fronts: caving to Pilots, talking about using risk-based intelligent processes, and "stick-figure" scanners. What a bunch of buffoons. Not sure why they ever even check pilots, if they want to crash the aircraft I'm guessing they could.

U.S. may soon announce security deal with pilots

WASHINGTON | Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55am EST

(Reuters) - The Obama administration could soon announce new airport security screening measures for airline pilots, who have complained about full-body scans and invasive pat downs, a top U.S. official said on Friday.

Transportation Security Administration chief John Pistole acknowledged in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" that scans and pat downs intended to find explosives and other weapons would offer little protection against any pilot determined to bring down an aircraft.

"We've had a number of very good discussions with pilots and hope to be announcing something very soon in terms of a good way forward for the pilots for that very reason, using a risk-based intelligence driven process," he said.

Read more: www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1916042920101119

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

TSA forces cancer survivor to show prosthetic breast

Some fliers with medical conditions call new airport security procedures 'humiliating'

A longtime Charlotte, N.C., flight attendant and cancer survivor told a local television station that she was forced to show her prosthetic breast during a pat-down. Cathy Bossi, who works for U.S. Airways, said she received the pat-down after declining to do the full-body scan because of radiation concerns.

The TSA screener "put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?' " Bossi told the station. "And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that.' " Bossi said she removed the prosthetic from her bra. She did not take the name of the agent, she said, "because it was just so horrific of an experience, I couldn't believe someone had done that to me. I'm a flight attendant. I was just trying to get to work."

Read more: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40278427/ns/travel-news/

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

From a pilot...

The TSA's unsustainable air security strategy

Stopping terrorists from boarding planes is the job of law enforcement and intelligence agencies, not TSA screeners armed with body scanners and invasive pat-down procedures.

By Patrick Smith

November 20, 2010

The deployment of body scanners at U.S. airports is rightly controversial. The devices raise very important privacy issues, and possibly health issues as well, both of which The Times' Nov. 17 editorial, "Shut up and be scanned", says are outweighed by security concerns.

One downside to this debate, however, is that it distracts us somewhat from asking important questions about the Transportation Security Administration's approach to security overall.

Read more: articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/20/opinion/la-oew-smith-body-scanners-20101120

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

Flight Attendants Union Noticeably Peeved, They're Next (presumably)

TSA exempts U.S. airline pilots from pat-downs and body scans

Pilots traveling in uniform will undergo expedited screening after two forms of ID are checked against a secure database, TSA chief John Pistole says.

By Brian Bennett, Tribune Washington Bureau

November 20, 2010

Reporting from Washington

After weeks of pressure from pilot unions over controversial new airport screening measures, the Transportation Security Administration agreed Friday to exempt pilots from enhanced pat-downs and full-body scans.

Pilots flying for U.S. carriers and traveling in uniform will immediately start going through expedited screening after two forms of their identification are checked against a secure database, TSA Director John Pistole said in a statement.

Read more: articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/20/nation/la-na-tsa-pilots-20101120

TSA: Scanners will show only ‘stick figure’

Privacy complaints spur change

By Richard Weir | Thursday, November 18, 2010 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage

Photo by John Wilcox

The controversial naked body scanners at Logan International Airport will soon be G-rated, as Boston’s airport is set to be the nation’s first to get new X-ray technology showing a “stick figure” instead of the controversial outline of a passenger’s assets, the airport’s federal security director said yesterday.

“All you’ll have is stick figure and a little block around each anomaly on you,” George Naccara of the Transportation Security Administration said of the new scanners due to arrive by late winter.

“For example,” Naccara said, “if I walk through the new machine . . . there would be a block around my cell phone . . . a block around my belt. But there would not be a human image of me.”

Read more: bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1297227

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

Complete List of Airports with Whole Body Imaging/Advanced Imaging Technology Scanners

US Airports using the NoS

ABQ - MMW used in all C/P lanes

ATL - South C/P - 2 devices installed in the DL F/Elite line - Two MMW @ Concourse E C/P after Customs - Central C/P has MMW

BDL - BKSX used occasionally. FTer reports that the device is installed @ Concourse A (main C/P). Not used very often.

BIS - Receiving devices within the next year

BNA - On the A/B side - probably going to C - Avoid by using WN C/P - MMW

BOI - **More Information Requested, please click here to PM - BKSX

BOS - Term. A, Term. B (US Shuttle, AA), Term. C, UA, B6, Term E. INTL - Left lane of UA C/P (TERM C) does not have a NoS..

BRO - **More Information Requested, please click here to PM

BUF - Five BKSX Installed!

BWI - Only the C Gates (AA,DL) are free of the NoS. All other gates have MMW

CLE - C/P for B gates has two MMW - C/P for C gates also has MMW - Unsure of A gates C/P - Both C/Ps can be used for access to all gates - MMW

CLT - BKSX Installed @ Concourse A, B, D - Concourse C C/P is SAFE!

CMH - Concourse B has machines installed. Pax can self-select NoS or WTMD line, though still run the risk of being redirected - BKSX

CRP - BKSX in use at the only C/P

CVG - AA/UA/WN Terminal has the NoS installed.

DCA - DL/CO Terminal C/P (gates 10-22), Also installed at Gates 35+, Terminal A C/P is safe

DEN - Two MMW at Bridge C/P. MMW also used at East & West C/P

DFW - BKSX in use @ INTL>DOM Term. D C/P, Terminal D (Checkpoints 18, 22, 30) have BKSX in use. Term C has BKSX, Term A/B/E SAFE!

DTW - Used @ (DL) McNamara Terminal - Primary at the N. Terminal C/P (AA, CO, LH, UA, US, WN). Westin C/P has MMW - Used for incoming INTL pax - MMW

ELP - Screening clerks were forcing pax to use the NoS over the summer. According to Blogdad Bob, all pax can opt-out. YMMV. - BKSX

EWR - NoS now in operation! - Terminal A (AA) gates 30-39 do not have the NoS - Term. B BKSX @ DL Gates B40-B47

FAR - Receiving devices within the next year

FAT - According to TSA @ FAT, NoS in use. MMW

FLL - BKSX installed @ Concourse C C/P, DL Terminal 2 & 3 E/F Fates. - BKSC PRIMARY FOR ALL PAX

FWA - Replaced one of the two WTMD with a MMW - WARNING: Clerks have been sending all pax through the MMW. YMMV..

GEG - Horizon Air (Term C) SAFE - Far lane @ C/P for A & B using BKSX

GFK - Receiving devices within the next year

GPT - One BKSX in use

GRR - NoS installed, but not in use at last report

HNL - C/P # 3 @ Lobby 5 & 6 has four MMW - C/P 5 @ Lobby 7 & 8, MMW in use @ elite line, left-most lane. If elite, use gold line, then self-select WTMD

HRL - **More Information Requested, please click here to PM

IAD - BKSX installed in Diamond Line & Crew Lanes downstairs; main C/P Unknown - Crew line is the only lane open overnight...

IAH - Term. B has two MMW. Two WTMD still setup. Term. C has MMW installed. Terminal E, but easy to avoid - MMW - INTL Arrivals has 3 MMW

IND - A & B C/P 3 installed - MMW

JAX - One Scanner, avoid by using the lane to the left

JFK - BKSX now in operation! No machines installed in JetBlue (B6) Terminal! - T7 (UA) SAFE

LAS - Multiple MMW @ A/B/C C/P. Old C C/P also has MMW. Most of the WTMDs @ D C/P also have MMW. Old A/B C/P has MMW, T2 (INTL) - Be observant!

LAX - T1 (WN) SAFE! -- T3 (AS,VX) T4 (AA), T5 (DL,AM), T6 (CO), T7 (UA) Left Lane - TBIT has 1 BKSX at both C/Ps

LGA - IN PROCESS OF BEING INSTALLED @ Central Terminal Building Concourse D (AA) between lanes 1 & 2

LIH - Used at the main C/P

LRD - **More Information Requested, please click here to PM

MIA - Terminal J has MMW in use. -- Terminal E (AA) is SAFE! - AA Term. D C/P has one MMW

MCI - Left side of WN C/P - Term. B - DL Gates @ Term B has BKSX - Terminal A & C Safe! - MMW

MCO - BKSX in use @ West End C/P (Gates 1 - 59) - One BKSX to the extreme left side entrance, and two near extreme right entrance. Center section still has WTMD.

MDT - **More Information Requested, please click here to PM1

MFE - **More Information Requested, please click here to PM

MEM - Used at A/B/C C/P - BKSX

MKE - Concourses C & D - MMW

MSP - In use at C/P 10, C/P 2 has two NoS, C/P 6 has NoS in use. Avoid by using C/P 1 or 5. All C/Ps lead to the same area. - MMW

MSY - MMW Located @ Concourse C & Concourse D C/Ps. - Unsure of MMW @ Concourse B.

OAK - In use at Terminal 1, 3 installed @ Terminal 2 (WN) C/P - BKSX

OMA - BKSX used @ AA gates (1-8) C/P

ORD - T1,T2,T3(2 @ K C/P) (Backscatter)

PIT - Devices are installed at both the main and alternate C/P (BKSX)

PBI - MMW in use at all C/Ps. Concourses A,B,C - Concourse C MMW on the 2 right hand lanes of the C/P - Avoid by using Elite/Crew lanes on main level

PHL - Terminal A & F has one MMW - Terminal B, C, D, & E are SAFE - Use Term D to access all gates - PHL is expecting one @ each C/P in 1-2months

PHX - C/P B & D Terminal 4 - BKSX

PVD - Main, and only, C/P has received a Backscatter

RDU - 4 MMW installed @ Terminal 2 C/P. Entire C/P rearranged, possibly for opening of new terminal

ROC - Machine in use. Staff are rude to opt-outs MMW

RIC - MMW installed @ Concourse A, B & C C/P

SAN - BKSX installed @ UA C/P, Commuter Terminal, DL C/P @ Term @, Gate 1A/1/2 C/P for WN - T1 WN is SAFE!

SAT - NoS is now in use. BKSX - LOCATION UNKNOWN. PLEASE PM DETAILS.

SEA - A (South) C/P (DL) has the NoS, Central/Main C/P has the NoS, C gate C/P & D/N gates C/P has no NoS. All terminals connected airside - BKSX

SFO - 3 MMWs in INTL Terminal C/P, 1 MMW in Terminal 1 C/P for AS,CO,US,WN. MMW is in use @ AA gates T3 60-67

SMF - B2 C/P has the NoS

SJC - BKSX at all lanes, except for the family line. - Terminal B has eight lanes @ the C/P, and 4 BKSX, X-RAY machines in odd lanes feed to WTMD

SJU - BKSX installed @ Concourse B

SLC - Terminal 2 (DL) - Terminal 3 has a single line for the C/P - MMW @ both C/Ps

STL - 2 BKSX installed at Terminal 1 A C/P - BKSX @ Term. 2 (East Terminal)

TPA - Airside A & Airside E C/P (AC, DL, UA) - MMW

TUL - All lanes have the MMW

US & International Airports receiving the NoS soon

DAY - Receiving before Thanksgiving, and in use by Christmas

HOU -

ICN - According to airport information, receiving devices "soon". None installed as of November

LGA -

MDW -

SPN -

International Airports using the NoS

AMS - MMW for US-bound departures. Unknown about non-US departures. One MMW per gate. Opting-out can be done, but can be a PITA.

DME - One MMW in the business security area of the international terminal

LED - MMW - Screener looking at images is right in front of you...

LGW - MMW - Details pending

LHR - MMW @ Terminal 1 Main C/P - Nothing @ Transit C/P for T1 - No NoS, T3 C/P - No NoS, T5 - NoS in use! - Used for secondary/random no opt-out

HAM - Testing the NoS, entirely optional!

MAN - T2 has NoS in use, while T3 does not - Reports are that it will receive them by the EOY

PVD - Machines used sporadically and only in certain lanes. Not in family lane

YEG - MMW in use for domestic/transborder flights. Random, but opt-out permitted

YHZ - MMW in use in domestic/international departure area. All lines have WTMD. Unsure of transborder departure area.

YOW - 1 NoS in the Domestic/Intl C/P - Appears to be used for secondary screening - TYPE UNKNOWN

YUL - MMW in far left lane being used on all pax. OPT OUT Permitted

YVR - US-bound pax use the MMW, randomly determined by a machine - Domestic, C gates has a MMW for "random selectees" - OPT-OUT POSSIBLE!

YYC - US-bound pax use the MMW, randomly determined by a machine - OPT-OUT POSSIBLE!

YYZ - T1, US Departures has the NoS for SSSS/Random Selection/Resolution of WTMD alarms - T1 Domestic - 2 MMW for Secondary only. None in NEXUS line, not always in use - MMW - YYZ Concourse Level (between Arr/Dep) C/P has the MMW, usually sits idle

YXU - Installed @ Transborder terminal

Domestic & International airports not using the NoS

ABE -

ACY -

AUS -

BTR -

BUR -

CLD -

COS -

DAY -

DUB -

ECP -

EZE -

GTR -

HPN -

ICT -

KOA -

MEL -

NRT -

OKC -

ONT -

ORF -

PDX -

PEK -

PER -

PHF -

PUQ -

PVG -

PWM -

SBP -

SCL -

SNA - still safe!

SYD -

SYR -

TUS -

TVC -

Glossary of Abbreviations Used

AA - American Airlines

AC - Air Canada

AS - Alaska Airlines

B6 - JetBlue Airways

CO - Continental Airlines

DL - Delta Airlines

UA - United Airlines

US - US Airways

VX - Virgin America

WN - Southwest Airlines

C/P - Checkpoint

MMW - Millimeter Wave

BKSX - Backscatter

TERM - Terminal

UPDATED AS OF 12:27AM CST 11/19/2010

TSA Body Scanners: Do They Even Work?

TSA scanners are causing some pilots to revolt.

Privacy advocates fear they are intrusive and a group of doctors in San Francisco want the FDA to do an analysis of the radiation risk... but do the scanners even work?

It appears the Obama administration wants to keep that information classified.

Read more: www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20023079-10391695.html

================================================

Its probably better we don't know how effective these security measures are? I know, I know, if you publish the results the terrorists win. :lol:

Edited by Maestro
Added link to the source.

No more of this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkCpnCm7iM

No 'enhanced' pat-downs for kids, TSA says

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

Children going through airport security will no longer be subject to the aggressive pat-downs that have riled some passengers and will instead face less-intrusive hand searches from screeners, the Transportation Security Administration said Tuesday.

"After a thorough risk assessment and after hearing concerns from parents, we made the decision that a modified pat-down would be used for children 12 years old and under who require extra screening," TSA spokeswoman Kristin Lee said in a statement.

The TSA last month began "enhanced" pat-downs on passengers who decline to enter body scanners that create graphic images of people under their clothes and are viewed in a private room by screeners.

Read more: travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/11/no-enhanced-pat-downs-for-kids-tsa-says/131686/1

OK so now the terrorists can use children to carry bombs. :whistling:

Edited by Maestro
Added link to the source.

I saw a piece on this yesterday on CNN. One of the congressmen responsible for choosing these scanners said he was lied to. What he saw several years ago was different than what they are using today. It had the capability of "blanking" out body parts. The ones in use don't do this. It was a heated debate....so will be interesting to see where this all ends up. He was extremely critical of the TSA and said they could screw up a 2 car funeral! Funny....

'Invasive' airport pat-downs not going away for the holidays

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says she wouldn't like to get one, 'but everybody's trying to do the right thing.' The TSA's John Pistole cites the determination of terrorists to take American lives.

By Jim Puzzanghera, Tribune Washington Bureau

November 22, 2010

Reporting from Washington

Despite the uproar over intrusive pat-downs for some airline travelers, the policy will not change heading into the holiday travel season, the head of the Transportation Security Administration said.

"Clearly, it's invasive; it's not comfortable," John Pistole said of the pat-downs in an interview Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union with Candy Crowley."

Read more: articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/22/nation/la-na-tsa-pat-downs-20101122

Nu de scanner images published on web

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has stated that the technology "cannot store, print, transmit or save the image. In fact, all machines are delivered to airports with these functions disabled."

http://www.theage.co...1123-184t4.html

GIZMODO - http://gizmodo.com/5...aked-body-scans

One Hundred Naked Citizens: One Hundred Leaked Body Scans

At the heart of the controversy over "body scanners" is a promise: The images of our naked bodies will never be public. U.S. Marshals in a Florida Federal courthouse saved 35,000 images on their scanner. These are those images.

A Gizmodo investigation has revealed 100 of the photographs saved by the Gen 2 millimeter wave scanner from Brijot Imaging Systems, Inc., obtained by a FOIA request after it was recently revealed that U.S. Marshals operating the machine in the Orlando, Florida courthouse had improperly-perhaps illegally-saved images of the scans of public servants and private citizens.

We understand that it will be controversial to release these photographs. But identifying features have been eliminated. And fortunately for those who walked through the scanner in Florida last year, this mismanaged machine used the less embarrassing imaging technique.

Yet the leaking of these photographs demonstrates the security limitations of not just this particular machine, but millimeter wave and x-ray backscatter body scanners operated by federal employees in our courthouses and by TSA officers in airports across the country. That we can see these images today almost guarantees that others will be seeing similar images in the future. If you're lucky, it might even be a picture of you or your family.

While the fidelity of the scans from this machine are of surprisingly low resolution, especially compared to the higher resolution "naked scanners" using the potentially harmful x-ray backscatter technology, the TSA and other government agencies have repeatedly touted the quality of "Advanced Imaging Technology" while simultaneously assuring customers that operators "cannot store, print, transmit or save the image, and the image." According to the TSA—and of course other agencies—images from the scanners are "automatically deleted from the system after it is cleared by the remotely located security officer." Whatever the stated policy, it's clear that it is trivial for operators to save images and remove them for distribution if they choose not to follow guidelines or that other employees could remove images that are inappropriately if accidentally stored.

To the point, these sample images were removed from the machine in Orlando by the U.S. Marshals for distribution under the FOIA request before the machine was sent back to its manufacturer—images intact.

We look forward to seeing your next vacation photos.

Edited by Lakegeneve

November 18, 2010, 9:49 PM

The Hidden Costs of Extra Airport Security

By NATE SILVER

I recognize that the outcry over the T.S.A.’s new security procedures — which has been both broad and deep in technology, travel and political blogs, but which has been less acute elsewhere in the country — has a bit of a Brooks Brothers Riot quality to it. That is because its effects are felt most manifestly among those relatively few Americans who have the means to travel (and the wherewithal to write about it).

It is, moreover, a hard story for the media to resist, given the sexy sorts of issues (Terrorism! Privacy! Civil Liberties! Junk-Touching!) that the debate turns upon.

Nevertheless, this is more than just some sort of wedge issue for yuppies with wanderlust: there are real and quite tangible consequences stemming from the procedures that the T.S.A. chooses to implement.

Read more: fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/the-hidden-costs-of-extra-airport-security/

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

Child finds loaded gun clip on Southwest flight

(CNN) -- A federal law enforcement officer mistakenly left a loaded gun magazine that was found Tuesday on a Southwest Airlines plane, officials said. The discovery was made after the flight from Burbank, California, to Phoenix, Arizona, landed, a member of a CNN crew aboard the plane said. The head of the Transportation Security Administration said the unnamed law officer will be given remedial training. "It belonged to a member of federal law enforcement," John Pistole said of the magazine, adding it was not believed to belong to a federal air marshal.

"The full magazine was found in a back seat pocket," a TSA official told CNN. "We believe it was left by a law enforcement officer on a flight that originated in San Jose (California) and landed in Burbank.

Read more: fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/the-hidden-costs-of-extra-airport-security/

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

Americans united on scanners, divided on pat-downs, profiling

By: CNN Associate Producer Rebecca Stewart

(CNN) - When it comes to new airport security screening for passengers, Americans agree that full-body scanners are okay, but split over when additional measures cross the line, according to two new polls.

A majority of Americans surveyed in two new polls released this week support the Transportation Security Administration's use of full-body x-ray machines that use new technology to highlight outlines of the human body in an effort to detect hidden weapons.

According to a Washington Post-ABC News poll, roughly two-thirds of Americans support full-body x-ray machines, known as Advanced Imaging Technology, but less than half agree that enhanced searches are justified.

When asked whether privacy or the ability to investigate possible terror threats is more important, almost 7 in 10 say that combating terrorism is more important than protecting personal privacy, but 50 percent say the enhanced pat-downs go too far. Forty-eight percent say the more thorough pat-down is justified, indicating that Americans are split on how much personal privacy they are willing to compromise.

The Washington Post-ABC poll echoes findings released by CBS News last week. In the CBS poll conducted during the second week of November, 81 percent of Americans agreed that airports should use full-body x-ray machines.

Read more: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/23/americans-united-on-scanners-divided-on-pat-downs-profiling/

Edited by Maestro
Added link to source.

CNN: Do Airport Body Scanners Even Work?

Sheeple might not want to watch this.

FWIW, the overwhelmingly positive polling numbers, being hawked by the TSA, come from people who have not experienced the new security measures first-hand. Other polls, of frequent fliers who have experienced the new security measures at least once, are overwhelmingly negative.

Edited by lomatopo

A loosely organized Internet campaign is urging people to refuse the scans on Wednesday in what is being called National Opt-Out Day. The extra time needed to pat down people could cause a cascade of delays at dozens of major airports, including those in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Atlanta.

"Just one or two recalcitrant passengers at an airport is all it takes to cause huge delays," said Paul Ruden, a spokesman for the American Society of Travel Agents, which has warned its more than 8,000 members about delays. "It doesn't take much to mess things up anyway."

edit:

I found this website that lays things out fairly well...

http://debatepedia.idebate.org/en/index.php/Debate:_Full-body_scanners_at_airports

Edited by craigt3365

NOOD, I am glad I am not traveling by air in the U.S. for the Thanksgiving Day holidays. Tempers will flare as people potentially miss flights and I can see more than a few riots occurring as the conflict between those opting out and the Kettles boils over. The TSA may have to abandon their current exhaustive screening activities in an effort to get everyone on board.

Of course terrorists could never compromise TSA agents in order to bypass security. :whistling:

TSA Agent ARRESTED For Sexual Assault Of A 14Yr Old Girl!

TSA officer suspected of kidnapping, assault

TSA Workers Caught Using Drugs?

NOOD, I am glad I am not traveling by air in the U.S. for the Thanksgiving Day holidays. Tempers will flare as people potentially miss flights and I can see more than a few riots occurring as the conflict between those opting out and the Kettles boils over. The TSA may have to abandon their current exhaustive screening activities in an effort to get everyone on board.

Of course terrorists could never compromise TSA agents in order to bypass security. :whistling:

TSA Agent ARRESTED For Sexual Assault Of A 14Yr Old Girl!

TSA officer suspected of kidnapping, assault

TSA Workers Caught Using Drugs?

The TSA employs something like 40-50,000 scanners. They are low paid jobs, and thus attract unskilled workers. For sure you are gonna find a lot of bad apples in that bunch. Ya get what ya pay for....

You can research pretty much any large manufacturing company and will get the same crime stats.

Edited by craigt3365