Where To Stay In Samui

It's on the beach road near Ark bar entrance, opposite side.

A-ha, I've found a map on their website. Let the OP decide whether distance from the beach is acceptable or not.

Looks more like The Laem Din Hotel. Several years ago 8 construction workers were electrocuted while it was being built, they were Burmese so it didn't make much news. You will find no girls working Soi Reggae willing to check in there ever since a local girl was awoken by ghosts one night. You won't see that in their brochure !

According to website, the Avenue hotel belongs to Laem Din Group, and pics seem to confirm that it is indeed situated in Laem Din area. Not close to the beach at all, and subject to extreme flooding after heavy rains. But close to the bars, otherwise they wouldn't build those glass bathrooms.

?? It's nowhere near there.

A-ha, I've found a map on their website. Let the OP decide whether distance from the beach is acceptable or not.

Having a beach holiday on a tropical island I'd think it safe to say the hotel needs to be on or within a minutes walk of the beach. Avoid.

Also, be aware that you would often have to pay for a 'Gala Celebration' in addition to the room price. If you are going to have to do that, you should try to get a place that will actually put on a good spread.

Since most people will head to the beach, there doesn't seem to be much point of staying somewhere that doesn't have beach access or is at least very close.

Also, be aware that you would often have to pay for a 'Gala Celebration' in addition to the room price. If you are going to have to do that, you should try to get a place that will actually put on a good spread.

Since most people will head to the beach, there doesn't seem to be much point of staying somewhere that doesn't have beach access or is at least very close.

Some important features not mentioned in a brochure but should be asked before booking

Is the resort directly on the beach ?

Does the resort have an emergency generator ?

Are the Gala Dinners optional ?

Does the resort have a safe with deposit boxes ?

Are the mattresses cleaned and sanitized regularly ?

Does the resort have wi fi and multi channel t.v. ?

Does the resort have sufficient car parking ?

What is the water supply for the resort ?

Is there any charge for visiting guests ?

As far as i'm concerned any hotelier who forces gala dinners into the xmas/new room pricing year deserves to be empty. They are behaving like crooks and blatently ripping tourists off and it should be stopped. The actual term for it is profiteering. ;)

As far as i'm concerned any hotelier who forces gala dinners into the xmas/new room pricing year deserves to be empty. They are behaving like crooks and blatently ripping tourists off and it should be stopped. The actual term for it is profiteering. ;)

I was invited along to a Christmas gala dinner at the Smile House by one of their guests a few years ago. I ate two or three prawns....a bowl of watery soup....some salad and a bread roll. No free alcohol. Was told the price was $50 US per person. No sign of the promised lobster strangely enough......;)

I'd say crusty is probably right.....at least a voluntary dinner they have to offer decent value for money.

Yes, the real problem is the abuse of this 'surcharge'. One would understand if it were to cover the costs of putting on a decent celebration for their guests. Imported food and the like.

But if it's standard 300 baht buffet fare for which they charge 2500 baht....

Remember the Millennium New Year prices? That was the turning point, when customers realised the situation and started to stay away. And that's why X-Mas dinner is not compulsory any more , but in most 2-5* resorts New Years dinner still is.

Remember the Millennium New Year prices? That was the turning point, when customers realised the situation and started to stay away. And that's why X-Mas dinner is not compulsory any more , but in most 2-5* resorts New Years dinner still is.

I remember the year of the Tsunami when certain resorts doubled their room prices to take advantage of the increased traffic. Something despicable about that.

i've been quoted anywhere from 12k-15k baht for the compulsory dinners on new years at various hotel properties. having a (sometimes flexible) minimum room night requirement is bad enough, the compulsory meal is adding insult to injury.

he spoke about the Millennium New Years Dinner of course.

And of course per person. So that made 60.000 for an average family excluding drinks....as I said before: a shot in the knee for that industry

Edited by Birdman

that's 12-15k baht per person, by the way.

Wow! I had a figure starting at 2500 bt in my head. Which properties are charging 12 to 15k? We deserve to know. :)

with all due respect, it shouldn't be too difficult.

i may not be happy with the way that each and every one of them respond to this particular issue but i'm quite happy with the bilateral business arrangements, and respectful of the capital required to bring those arrangements about, thank you.

that's 12-15k baht per person, by the way.

Wow! I had a figure starting at 2500 bt in my head. Which properties are charging 12 to 15k? We deserve to know. :)

with all due respect, it shouldn't be too difficult.

i may not be happy with the way that each and every one of them respond to this particular issue but i'm quite happy with the bilateral business arrangements, and respectful of the capital required to bring those arrangements about, thank you.

I'm not sure why you are quoting my post. I was only interested in the properties charging 12 to 15k for the compulsory New Year's Eve dinner.

I can't imagine why you would wish to compose such a mind numbingly boring reply.

I asked you because it will save me having to look myself.

thanks for everyone info so far but can some one please suggest a nice place to stay near the ark bar on the beach for news years eve,we do like our rooms to be modern looking as some of the hotels rooms look a bit run down ,we are looking to spend around 70 per night ,but we also want the area to be quite quiet within walking distance to the main bars and nightlife

many thanks again

thanks for everyone info so far but can some one please suggest a nice place to stay near the ark bar on the beach for news years eve,we do like our rooms to be modern looking as some of the hotels rooms look a bit run down ,we are looking to spend around 70 per night ,but we also want the area to be quite quiet within walking distance to the main bars and nightlife

many thanks again

I already did so in post #5, but you seemed so obsessed with the Avenue...

If you are going to ask, perhaps you should take heed of the advice.