Alert To Drivers

Gladiator

I into drove in to Chiang Mai, yesterday evening, to discover that a kilometer of so of the river road has had the surface tarmac removed for road works.

It was difficult driving in the pick-up. Not sure I would like to try it on a motorbike.

I don't know the name of the road but it runs parallel to the Ping River from Highway 3029 and though a tunnel under the 1141 Airport Road. The Holiday Inn and The Riverside Condo can be seen on the other side of the river. I believe it is Padad Amphur.

A bit rough isn't it? They started that a few days ago. Just to make sure you are paying attention at night there is nothing to draw your attention to the end of the tarmac and the beginning of the rough bit. What I wonder though is the purpose of the very high guttering they are making, in places it is a foot or more above road level, one assumes they are going to build up the level of the road. Bit awkward for those living along there especially when the river floods!

That road was only resurfaced along its entire length from Mahidol Rd to the middle highway less than 2 years ago. After all the bungs had been paid I guess there was too little money left to do a proper job. Hope it gets repaired quickly as its a great back road into town!

• 1 month later...

Awww come ON..

* There are signs on both sides that road work is taking place, advising people to take a different road.

* It's just a bit rough, but very driveable. I don't take the road primarily because of the dust; don't want to wash the Benz every day.

Between us, it's amazing how SLOW people drive currently. With a proper car you can easily still do 60 in comfort. But the overtaking of Mr and Mrs. Slow is a challenge.

I hate to have to tell you, but I drove back down this road today, Monday 13 December, and its still in pretty bad shape

That's good information!! Just yesterday Mrs Millwall_fan suggested we try that road again as it's a good route to Junior's school. We'll keep avoiding it for the moment!!

Awww come ON..

* There are signs on both sides that road work is taking place, advising people to take a different road.

* It's just a bit rough, but very driveable. I don't take the road primarily because of the dust; don't want to wash the Benz every day.

Between us, it's amazing how SLOW people drive currently. With a proper car you can easily still do 60 in comfort. But the overtaking of Mr and Mrs. Slow is a challenge.

Good Luck Che Guvara,

The Benz's tyres may not be so happy if they get too close to the protruding steel under-pinning rods between the upper paved and lower unpaved road.

Class me in the category of Mr SLOW driver , even in the tough old wildebeest of a Mazda off-road Fighter pick-up.

Edited by Gladiator

I hate to have to tell you, but I drove back down this road today, Monday 13 December, and its still in pretty bad shape

That's good information!! Just yesterday Mrs Millwall_fan suggested we try that road again as it's a good route to Junior's school. We'll keep avoiding it for the moment!!

The road along the railway may be a better road to Junior's school. Even when the Pa Daed road is completed.