The Cakes Just Keep Getting Better!

Richb2004v2

It seems to me that the quality and availability of all sorts of great quality and good tasting cakes has improved a lot over the last couple of years. When I first came here all that seemed to be available was sickly cakes covered in disgusting cream. Now there are so many shops selling delicious cakes. I particularly noticed the abundance of really good fruit cake. I only used to have this as a treat from one particular hospital in Siracha, now I can get it all over. There are lots of bakery's everywhere now. It's great to have a good piece of cake with a coffee of an evening. Great stuff.

Disagree. They all use that fake icing. It looks great but tastes like your spooning butter into your mouth.

That's what I used to think, but now I think it's better. Unless of course I've just been here too long and have got used to it. But what about the fruit cake? That's is definitely very good. Even my grandmother would agree. Plus the chocolate brownie is very good too.

Disagree. They all use that fake icing. It looks great but tastes like your spooning butter into your mouth.

But surely if it's fake then it wouldn't taste of butter? rolleyes.gif

I dunno if this is a European vs American thing but in America our cake icing tastes sweet, not like butter, or rather margerine and oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_%28food%29

that is what i like, fwiw.

I dunno if this is a European vs American thing but in America our cake icing tastes sweet, not like butter, or rather margerine and oil.

Is this why one in three yank adults is classed as obese. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia....cing_%28food%29

i am always on the look out for a good bit of fruit cake. only problem is that being a person who one half of the family was from yorkshire, we used to eat our cake with a piece of cheese and i can never find a good bit of cheese that either tastes half decent or is good value for money.

double bummer ! sad.gif

http://en.wikipedia....cing_%28food%29

Not to worry The Mail online Nov. 7 2010 headlines" Fat Britain: Tackling the obesity epidemic" so the UK is joining the fat folk, the French have proposed a fat tax on sweets.

Look around you in Thailand at how the kids look now and how they looked 20 years ago, big difference in weight. The world is catching the US in a hurry.

More than 60 per cent of Australian adults and one quarter of children are classed as overweight or obese, according to new statistics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/5307418/More-than-half-of-all-Australians-are-obese.html

It's a worldwide problem, not just America. Here's the stats:

Rank, Country, %Overweight

1. Nauru 94.5

2. Micronesia, Federated States of 91.1

3. Cook Islands 90.9

4. Tonga 90.8

5. Niue 81.7

6. Samoa 80.4

7. Palau 78.4

8. Kuwait 74.2

9. United States 74.1

10. Kiribati 73.6

11. Dominica 71.0

12. Barbados 69.7

13. Argentina 69.4

14. Egypt 69.4

15. Malta 68.7

16. Greece 68.5

17. New Zealand 68.4

18. United Arab Emirates 68.3

19. Mexico 68.1

20. Trinidad and Tobago 67.9

21. Australia 67.4

Disagree also.

Used to buy edible stuff in Bangkok, Emporium, the Emerald hotel bakery, Prince Palace hotel bakery, Udon Thani mall's bakeries, the best was Khon Kaen Sofitel, tried them all this year and give zero on quality. Decidee to refrain buying any/all bakery products.

In my humble obese opinion, almost ALL deserts in Asia suck. My daughters birthday coming up in a few weeks and I just got back from Villa Market with Two Betty Crocker (Betty Proper) cake mixes along with Betty's canned frosting. All these are very unhealthy processed foods but how often does your daughter turn eight years old??;)

In my humble obese opinion, almost ALL deserts in Asia suck. My daughters birthday coming up in a few weeks and I just got back from Villa Market with Two Betty Crocker (Betty Proper) cake mixes along with Betty's canned frosting. All these are very unhealthy processed foods but how often does your daughter turn eight years old??;)

Are you going to make a cake yourself ? I havent tried that one yet my mom used to make them a lot but cant find the ingredients here. I try to avoid cake and stuff as its bad for my diet but you cant always deny yourself everything. There are always exceptions.

Well, I suppose in comparison to western cakes I guess they do suck really. I do think they are better than they were a couple of years ago though.

Are you going to make a cake yourself ? I havent tried that one yet my mom used to make them a lot but cant find the ingredients here. I try to avoid cake and stuff as its bad for my diet but you cant always deny yourself everything. There are always exceptions.

Yes I will bake it myself. Pretty easy except like you say about finding the ingredients. That is why when places like Villa Market or others have these cake mixes I snap them up. Also kick'n around making some home made ice cream just to insure that I am keeping my anorexia subdued... so far very successfully!

I disagree about the availability of baking ingredients.

I started making my own cakes last month.

Chocolate brownies, rasin muffins, choc chip muffins, banana+choc muffins, oatmeal cookies, choc chip cookies.

All the ingredients; All pupose flour, baking soda, baking powder, choc chips, oatmeal, vanilla essence, are available at the big supermarkets. This is the first time I've tried baking, and I'm surprised how simple it is, and the results are much better than the shop bought stuff.

I'm now branching out into sausage rolls (Frozen puff pastry from Makro or Foodland. Even make my own sausage meat, pork mince mixed with breadcrumbs, herbs and onion.

I made a bread and butter pudding yesterday............5hit, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

This stuff is easy to make.

Go and check for recipies on u-tube, get down to the supermarket, and treat yourself to some home baking.

Chocolate brownies, rasin muffins, choc chip muffins, banana+choc muffins, oatmeal cookies, choc chip cookies.

All the ingredients; All pupose flour, baking soda, baking powder, choc chips, oatmeal, vanilla essence, are available at the big supermarkets. This is the first time I've tried baking, and I'm surprised how simple it is, and the results are much better than the shop bought stuff.

I'm now branching out into sausage rolls (Frozen puff pastry from Makro or Foodland. Even make my own sausage meat, pork mince mixed with breadcrumbs, herbs and onion.

I made a bread and butter pudding yesterday............5hit, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Go and check for recipies on u-tube, get down to the supermarket, and treat yourself to some home baking.

Agreed!, took me awhile to find the ingredients, but enough searching finally got me my sugar cookies. Baking soda seemed the most difficult, don't know why. Next biggest problem is cake pans, cookies pans, etc, but I shall endure! :rolleyes:

If you can get to the larger branches of Lotus, Big C, Carrefore and Makro, they all have some kind of baking utensils. It might take you several trips, but you should be able to get all you need.

I've managed to get measuring spoons, cups and jugs. Non stick muffin tray, cooling rack, cake tins, sieve, scales etc, without too much trouble.

Big department stores like Robinsons and Central are also good places to try.

Completely agree...even in Pattaya we have great cakes and pastries now readily available...many places now using dairy cream frostings and not those disgusting butter-cream frostings. Sweet Recipe, Woodland Cafe, Bake and Brew Cafe, Cafe Delice...the list goes on and on and my waist gets bigger and bigger :lol:

• 1 month later...

Agreed!, took me awhile to find the ingredients, but enough searching finally got me my sugar cookies. Baking soda seemed the most difficult, don't know why. Next biggest problem is cake pans, cookies pans, etc, but I shall endure! :rolleyes:

Also agree,took a while to find all the bits at first but if you shop around it is possible. Central Festival department store have all kinds of baking tins in all different shapes and sizes too.

I have an agreement with my husband. I bake anything I want as long as I give the majority away, so we don't keep eating it.

I have quite a few neighbours who like to eat cakes and cookies so it works out quite well.

I enjoy baking and they enjoy eating the results!!!!

Think there will be a fight for the Christmas cake though!!