Samsung Galaxy Tablet

monkeytunes

The Ipad has 100 times more Apps available than the Android based tablets. This is my reason for not buying a Galaxy, though its hardware part is much more appreciating than the Ipad.

The Android tablet procucers have really been sleeping their days away. First they did not have the hardware ready, when Apple launched the Ipad and still they don´t have proper software ready. Most newspapers and magazines only support Ipad and not Android.

The problem is that, in every market that it's been launched so far, the Galaxy Tab has been incredibly expensive. The prices I see in multiple markets all convert to between 21000-24000 Baht. That's very poor bang for the buck compared to the iPad and the many other Android tablets that are no doubt coming our way.

That, plus Samsung doesn't have the best reputation for releasing software updates (to future Android versions).

Edited by mezzoninny
  • Like 1

The Ipad has 100 times more Apps available than the Android based tablets. This is my reason for not buying a Galaxy, though its hardware part is much more appreciating than the Ipad.

The Android tablet procucers have really been sleeping their days away. First they did not have the hardware ready, when Apple launched the Ipad and still they don´t have proper software ready. Most newspapers and magazines only support Ipad and not Android.

At this time Ipad actually has about 3 times more apps than Android - the figures are ~300,000 vs. ~100,000 - but must are many variations of the same so you won't actually be missing any apps on the Android.

As for tablet availability, they are beginning to come out now and 2011 will be owned by tablets.

C'mon ... 100 times more apps than Android. Do you really need 300,00 apps? An app that says "bang" when you shake your phone. An app. that appears to be a glass of beer that slowly disappears as your drink it. Who needs all that crap?

I would buy Galaxy S. any day and probably only install a few useful apps.

Flash is a must nowadays.

Anyway I read that Samsung will be releasing some new Android tablets soon.

C'mon ... 100 times more apps than Android. Do you really need 300,00 apps? An app that says "bang" when you shake your phone. An app. that appears to be a glass of beer that slowly disappears as your drink it. Who needs all that crap?

Amen to that!! Did anyone take the effort counting the USEFUL apps for iPhones and Andorids? Just a sheer number of coded nonsense that clutters up the memory is nothing I would consider when I chose a phone or pad.

First I've had a chance to play with this device in bangkok at the siam paragon samsung shop level 4, Price around 22,000 baht coming soon this month from what the samsung sales lady told me

A. touch screen use, is just like my htc desire I give it a 9 out of 10 after playing with it for 10 minutes

B. Screen resolution fantastic

C. Size being a 7 inch screen to me just the right size

D. Applications ( need to recheck but it would seem many applications already are available for the tablet

My only reason not to buy this are as follow

1. My experience using the Samsung User Interface on android phone vs HTC Sense on a android phone, made different for sure at least 2 me

2. A tablet or Ipad just isn't for me since using linux on my netbook works extremely well.

3. I like still having a keyboard and mouse to use.

if you want more reviews you should also check out Zdnet, Cnet, Gizmodo and read the reviews there, also keep in mind that most likely LG, possibly HTC, and a few others might introduce a android tablet as well.

LOL 7" and more expensive than the iPad, you've got to be kidding me....

7" is too small. End of story.

In addition, if Google recommends everyone to wait for the tablet release of Android, and Google just so happens to _make_ android why would I even consider any of these. Android is a nice OS on a phone but not as polished as the iOS. On a tablet, the difference is much worse - Android wasn't designed for tablet use.

As for apps - that's also a joke. How many Android apps were written for 7" tablets? 3?

On the iPad you can use all iPhone apps, but frankly, they suck - either they're blown up and very pixelated, or they're tiny in the center of the screen. Either way they're not making use of the iPad screen. It's a good ability to have but not something you'd buy a device for.

The apps that matter are the made for iPad apps - they've been written with the large screen in mind, they make use of all that extra real estate. They work very well. I don't know how many there are now, but it's quite a few. Probably tens of thousands.

All these 7" tabs will be forgotten this time next year. Google will come out with Android for tablets, people will start writing actual Android tablet apps, and Android tablets will have 9" and larger screens. Then, there'll be competition! Before that it's iPad or nothing.

Edited by nikster

I bought the Tab last week. I wouldn't touch an iPad with a shitty stick. I wanted something to function as a single replacement for my phone and netbook, and it fits the bill superbly.

Extremely responsive, thanks to Android 2.2, I've put about 80 apps on it, that's about the limit of what I use out of the 100,000 available (plus the Getjar apps).

It supports flash and comes with Youtube preinstalled.

So far I've been using it heavily on 3G and Wifi and haven't dropped below 60% of battery after a busy day, so I'm happy with the battery life.

At 7" it fits into a cargo pants or jacket pocket easily. You'd probably feel a tit using it as a handset, so hands free or bluetooth. Sound quality is excellent.

This is about the limit of phone-capable devices, so I expect Apple to twig that a 7" iPhone is a good idea anytime soon.

But they still suck.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

I'm still trying to find a need for a tablet. The other day I watched a guy trying to eat and use his tablet at the same time with hilarious results. The others around me with laptops and netbooks were doing fine.

Strange. You can operate it with one finger, so he must have been retarded or summat.

Strange. You can operate it with one finger, so he must have been retarded or summat.

No, he was just all hunched over trying to view it, and several attempts to prop it up with other objects were unsuccessful. Sure, you can buy stands for them but that's another piece of gear to carry.

All in all they seem more like a fashion item than anything. Certainly can't see any practicality in them.

For me, its an excellent replacement for a Laptop, i can deal with emails, browse the net and deal with most Office Documents (docs, power point presentations and spreadsheets)

Yes you can do that (and more) with a laptop, but the tab is small enough for your pocket and does it just as well. Battery life is great, i get around 2.5-3days use before i have to charge it.

It wont fit for some peoples needs, and some people will just find a reason not to use a tablet (any of them) - its horses for courses, I originally bought mine as a toy, but now after a month or so its a valuable work tool. It is a touch expensive, yes, but then i've never shy'ed away from techy toys, regardless of their cost. A few thousand baht doesnt matter to me. I might even buy an iPad to try out and see if i prefer it to the Galaxy Tab.

In fact i just bought the Xbox Kinect and about 12 games for it, and i'm not really much of a gamer, just wanted to give it a try... and so far very impressed - but thats off-topic.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We ( wife & I ) have both the Ipad2 & the Galaxy Tab 10.1

Both are excellent.

The wife uses the Ipad2 because she has an Iphone & loves it...I use the Galaxy as I have a Samsung phone & prefer Android for PC link ability & ease of drag/drop transfers etc.

The wife's Ipad2 is wifi only because she has the Iphone4 which has the 3-4G capability & she can hot spot with that.

The Samsung Galaxy 10.1 has wifi & 3G

As I said both are great & apps galore either from Itunes or Android Market

I think they are quite equal in app capabilities.

I will say games look graphically richer on her Ipad2 but then again she has bought games where as I have only downloaded a few free ones. So this could be the case of the free games being less graphically rich.

If & when I buy some games I will try to report back.

Both were bought in Thailand....The Ipad2 ran 16,300 THB out the door & the Galaxy 18,900 THB I think....? If I remember right they dropped it 400THB

But then again if you leave as we did you can get VAT 7% refunds at the airport

Anyway.......Like them both ;)

Flying, can you confirm which Thai operator's 3G SIM you used in the Galaxy?

Does anyone know if the Galaxy sold in the UK is the same 3G spec as Thailand?

Thanks

Sorry I cannot as I did not bother to buy one since wifi was available everywhere...( PS the wifi is smoking fast in the Korea Incheon airport & free hahah )but I would not worry as I believe like the Ipad the Galaxy has no problems in any country & I did see some great deals for 3g cards for sale.

I think it was 399 THB 1 GB...or more?? Not positive but my wife remembers it as that...

Here is a recent thread too...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/488979-can-i-get-a-3g-sim-card-at-chiang-mai-airport/

One thing I forgot to mention in comparison is this...

App size is quite a bit larger on the Ipad

For instance same apps...

Skype on the Ipad is 43mb

Skype on Galaxy is 11 mb

Pandora radio on Ipad is 10mb

Pandora on Galaxy is 3 mb

Not a big deal but rather surprising as the apps are identical in performance/usage

Another thing I really like about the Galaxy is the recent apps button

Like having multi tabs open on a browser allows you to flick between apps quickly

The voice recognition internet search function is superb!!

It is batting100%

Even a site like XDA Developers dot com is recognized instantly

This is a big time saver when using the internet

No need to type into google what you want to find.

Just say it......Nice!!

• 8 months later...

How about the GPS facility on the Galaxy Note? Anyone got experience?

Am I right in my understanding that GPS on a tablet like this is much better than on a TomTom or Garmin because

1) you get whole world coverage and don't have to buy seperate maps for different regions of the world

2) you don't run into the same local language problems like you do with a locally bought Garmin (not sure if this equally applies to TomTom)

How about the GPS facility on the Galaxy Note? Anyone got experience?

Am I right in my understanding that GPS on a tablet like this is much better than on a TomTom or Garmin because

1) you get whole world coverage and don't have to buy seperate maps for different regions of the world

2) you don't run into the same local language problems like you do with a locally bought Garmin (not sure if this equally applies to TomTom)

the gps is good but dont expect turn by turn voice navigation in thailand.

I'm still trying to find a need for a tablet. The other day I watched a guy trying to eat and use his tablet at the same time with hilarious results. The others around me with laptops and netbooks were doing fine.

Just bought a couple of Android clones at local mall...marvelous boxes at 4000bt..Just bought as e readers really but ease of download via laptop and mouse move to tablet files easy..

So many features will never use..has everything from Phone/Bluetooth/movies/games/camera to HDMI..sort of a disposable tablet at that price? hard for this old fart to use as laptop though biggrin.png

...... hard for this old fart to use as laptop though biggrin.png

Hmmm... that's an interesting observation 'cos I suppose I too am something of an old fart, used to a laptop and set in my ways.

Specifically, can you list features that you're using on your laptop that you suspect wouldn't be available on a tablet, not even on a decent genuine one?

For example, what about reading my old e-mail, document, pix and multi-media archive files which I've saved under Linux and Windows over the years. Would an Android tablet be able to cope with delving into those, I wonder?

I'll go with you on that . I brought one last weekend having had an iPad . I will never go back to an I pad .

smile.png

You know I have always liked android & have a galaxy phone & galaxy Tab

My wife has an Iphone so got a Ipad last year

She has been so upset the last few days about the new IOS6 that was

updated on her Ipad

She has been having all kinds of problems with FB & any you-tube videos that are embedded there.

Also Ipad seems to have done away with google maps in favour of their own.

But the one that drives her nuts the most now is for some reason their browser crashes constantly on a Thai site she likes

as well as others.

Add all that to the hassle of Itunes demanding everything go through them & well

if she had a choice to do it all again she would go Android too.

She is always amazed at how fast I pull photos off my tab or phone & also how I can quickly drop any music

or files onto my devices.

I did try to help her get back to IOS5 but it seems a no go as Apple in their infinite wisdom

had you automatically update Itunes with IOS6 now Itunes will not recognize the old OS file to

restore to it.

Overall apple always seem like your renting their stuff even though you bought it your not

allowed to use it fully as you choose to.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

...... hard for this old fart to use as laptop though biggrin.png

Hmmm... that's an interesting observation 'cos I suppose I too am something of an old fart, used to a laptop and set in my ways.

Specifically, can you list features that you're using on your laptop that you suspect wouldn't be available on a tablet, not even on a decent genuine one?

For example, what about reading my old e-mail, document, pix and multi-media archive files which I've saved under Linux and Windows over the years. Would an Android tablet be able to cope with delving into those, I wonder?

Depending on the format, there are apps that should solve your problem.

And bluetooth keyboards/cases that make it quite usual as a laptop, unless you want to spend a bit more for something like the TF700 which I think is awesome.

I'll go with you on that . I brought one last weekend having had an iPad . I will never go back to an I pad .

smile.png

You know I have always liked android & have a galaxy phone & galaxy Tab

My wife has an Iphone so got a Ipad last year

She has been so upset the last few days about the new IOS6 that was

updated on her Ipad

She has been having all kinds of problems with FB & any you-tube videos that are embedded there.

Also Ipad seems to have done away with google maps in favour of their own.

But the one that drives her nuts the most now is for some reason their browser crashes constantly on a Thai site she likes

as well as others.

Add all that to the hassle of Itunes demanding everything go through them & well

if she had a choice to do it all again she would go Android too.

She is always amazed at how fast I pull photos off my tab or phone & also how I can quickly drop any music

or files onto my devices.

I did try to help her get back to IOS5 but it seems a no go as Apple in their infinite wisdom

had you automatically update Itunes with IOS6 now Itunes will not recognize the old OS file to

restore to it.

Overall apple always seem like your renting their stuff even though you bought it your not

allowed to use it fully as you choose to.

i have a note and it is great. I also had the first gen 7" tab it alos was good. When i upgraded to first gen 10.1 tab it was not good. Tried a bunch of browser and could crash all of them posting in forums. It also had lag when typing......I went to samsung repair and they let me try another one. It also crashed in forums. They said i should wait for a software upgrade.

I sold the tab for a ipad3. i basically hate apple but this is superior to what i had. btw if i could not jail break it then it would useless. My ipad browser crashes about once every two weeks.