Where Can I Get Windows Loaded

CanInBKK

Hey, I just bought a new Toshiba notebook PC which did not come loaded with an O/S, where can I get a legit version of Windows? I'm not looking for any alternate O/S as I work with others who are not tech savvy. How much should I expect to pay for Windows in Thailand?

Thanks!

The only trouble I have found is you never know if the copy you are buying is genuine or not. A friend paid 10,000 baht for Vista Ultimate only for it to be a copy although a good one at that. What I do here is buy a cheap copy then simply try to update it. It will then tell you it is fake. Simply press the resolve now button and you simply pay MS and they give you a product key and send you a DVD from Singapore. Easy :D

PS for got to add. Go for 7 as it is the best yet. Very happy with 7 Ultimate :thumbsup:

Edited by H2oDunc

MS is currently running a "Family Pack" promotion in the USA. Three copies of Windows 7 Home Premium for US$150. Can get this from Amazon or most any internet PC shop eg. Newegg. Important thing is that you don't need the package, just the serial number (same number for all three users). So have a friend in USA buy it and send to his home, he emails you the serial number. Get a local copy of Win 7 Home Premium eg. just borrow the DVD from somebody, then install using the serial number. Clearly you want to find two other friends/mates/dudes in a bar to go in on it; all perfectly legit per MS licensing terms for this promotion. And you are guaranteed a legit MS install.

The only trouble I have found is you never know if the copy you are buying is genuine or not. A friend paid 10,000 baht for Vista Ultimate only for it to be a copy although a good one at that. What I do here is buy a cheap copy then simply try to update it. It will then tell you it is fake. Simply press the resolve now button and you simply pay MS and they give you a product key and send you a DVD from Singapore. Easy :D

PS for got to add. Go for 7 as it is the best yet. Very happy with 7 Ultimate :thumbsup:

Did you pay a lot more to MS for the window's product key? I wonder if the XP is still available.

Did you pay a lot more to MS for the window's product key? I wonder if the XP is still available.

When I obtained the product key from Microsoft, it was for Windows Ultimate, and yes it was discounted. However, it is more expensive than buying Windows Home Premium. I seem to recall paying about 7, 000 baht for it.

As of October 22, Windows XP is no longer sold and the OEM versions are not to be pre-installed on new machines. However, the existing inventory in stocks can be sold, and new machines are allowed to be downgraded to Windows XP (i.e. Vista to Windows XP).

If you buy windows and it turns out to be a fake yet looks like the real product with holograms Microsoft used to replace it with a real one for you at no cost.. Not sure if this is still the case but may be worth checking there website.

Windows what? XP or 7?

Microsoft still sell XP?

Most individuals don't buy directly from Microsoft. Though it is worth bearing in mind that support for XP will stop on the 8th of April 2014.

But it is better to ask than to assume.

No matter who the retailer is MS are still the manufacturer and ultimately responsible for sales..

Windows what? XP or 7?

Microsoft still sell XP?

Most individuals don't buy directly from Microsoft. Though it is worth bearing in mind that support for XP will stop on the 8th of April 2014.

But it is better to ask than to assume.

No matter who the retailer is MS are still the manufacturer and ultimately responsible for sales..

You are just making it up.... OEM copies are supported by the OEM manufacturer. Retail copies are fully supported by Microsoft.

On a notebook the starter is likely all that is required for most users.

Notebook is not the same as Netbook.

I had win7 starter on my netbook and it was utter crap compared to win7 Ultimate I have on my Pc, I now have ultimate on my netbook but I reckon Home premium would suffice though.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

gives a feature comparison on the version. Chose the right version as for example windows home cannot join a domain if you need that for work.

Then decide on OEM or full

OEM versions lock to the moptherboard and hardware and cannot be transferred. Full versions can be.

Then decide if you want the special version sold in Asia which can only be activated in asia.

After that buy the product from any large store such as IT City.

Ask your friends for advice on a person to install. Most of the small computer shops will do this for you but you have to ensure they only use your disks and number.

It is worth remembreing for multi language use the Ultimate version is needed.

Notebook is not the same as Netbook.

Sorry. Was thinking netbook (too many types now for old mind to keep straight) but have also seen reports of people very happy with it on a notebook so has a lot to do with if just for email/web/movies or more demanding things (especially running together).