Bike Trail Chiang Mai

betico1

was reading the other day on here about an off-road for the mountain bike from 700 year stadium to huay tung tao reservoir. i went to both on the bike yesterday but couldn´t find the start/finish points at either location and signs were non-existent so had to use the canal road. any ideas?

Best to go with someone who knows the route first time. From Huay Tong Tao, got left at the T intersection just inside the park. As soon as you cross over the dam, the trail starts up a steep brushy area. Once up there about 20 meters or so you will see the trail. Several intersections before you get to 700 year stadium but you can probably figure it out. Have fun and watch out for the nasty thorns.

Ok thanks. i´ll go early so still plenty of daylight if i get lost! will be coming from the city along the canal road. i can always go to reservoir and come back by the trail but where can i pick up the trail at the stadium end? would also like to attempt the climb from the zoo to doi suthep doi pui. don´t really want to cheat getting a songthaew and just riding down! i have a decent level of fitness so is this do-able and if so how long will it take? will probably try to find the trail down to the reservoir

HAAAAA betico, you are now entering T_Dogs specialty area.

But, if you are going to ride up to Doi Pui start heading down from Doi Pui and stop for a hot cup of coffee at the coffee plantation. Drink up and head down to huay tung tao reservoir. Pass the lake/reservoir and make a right on Canel Rd and ride home or it's great to stop off for a swim at 700 studium pool. Nice door to door ride. 4 hours plus of riding.

I've done it a few times after a rain, not as much fun as now. Go for it son and you will want to do it again.

that was much tougher than i thought. riding to doi suthep is the easy bit apart from the last killer hairpin. from then on it gets a lot steeper. i made it to phu ping palace before having to admit defeat. legs were almost gone but the main problem was the saddle on new bike i bought 3 days earlier. mixture of walking and riding to get to the top and then a steady descent to the reservoir because i was physically and mentally tired (bowl of cornflakes not sufficient before tackling this ride). didn´t see the coffee stop. 4hr 30 round trip from santitam. think will be difficult to go all the way to the top without stopping but that is my goal. need a week to recover though!

if you go from the stadium, keep straight on where the road goes right, past a barrier, up a hill to another barrier,then you're on the road past a lake(with a slope and the stadium on your right) and it bends left

. tarmac goes on a little then left to a hut,but you go straight on and you follow the big dirt track.At a very sandy junction at the bottom of a slope, (1km?)you can go either way to a junction where you see new houses being built.

So take the other track there and follow (2km?) to the road just before huay tung tao ticket booth

• 1 month later...

don´t really want to cheat getting a songthaew and just riding down!

Different strokes for different folks. I don't consider it cheating, or so macho to ride on the road and breathe all that diesel exaust. I'm not happy until until my fat Maxxis Mobsters hit the dirt, then I'm all alive again and beathin fresh air. I'll take a red truck any day up to the summit where there's all the hill cliimb opportuniities that you could ask for, to get any amount of work out that you are up for. The Huay Tueng Tao downhill is only one ride up there. Try Doi Pui Summit to Pong Yang Nok and even if you're not bloodied up you'll be wantin to hitch a ride to get back.

Happy riding and merry Christmas. don

Simon Phillips of the UK. Gary Fisher 'Mt Tam' hardtail XTR

post-74166-0-83715200-1293240494_thumb.j

Edited by drtreelove