Plan To Utilize Bangkok's Don Muang Airport To Be Proposed To Cabinet

webfact

Plan to Utilize Don Muang Airport to Be Proposed to Cabinet

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry expects there will be a conclusion on the plan to utilize Don Muang Airport by the end of this month and that it will be proposed to the Cabinet by December.

Following a press conference on the organization of the Thai Aviation's 100th anniversary, Transport Ministry Permanent Secretary Supoj Saplom said the International Civil Aviation Organization and the International Air Transport Association are currently conducting a study of a plan to utilize Bangkok's Don Muang airport.

The study is expected to be completed by the end of this month and will be proposed to the Cabinet by December.

The Don Muang airport utilization plan will be used to consider the essential points of Suvarnabhumi airport's second phase construction, such as the need to construct a domestic terminal and the length of the third runway.

Moreover, the Transport Ministry permanent secretary also stated that the ministry is scheduled to hold the 2010 Civil Aviation exhibition, to promote His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn's expertise in aviation and to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Thai aviation.

The exhibition will be held between December 9 and December 11 at Don Muang airport.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-11

footer_n.gif

here we go again.

Obviously the air force is in need of a little cash injection.

the airforce ran a pretty tight ship as I understand at DM (comparatively).

In anycase, it seems a shame to let such a piece of infrastructure lie idle. Costs are largely sunk. Definitely could be a LCC hub if someone put their mind to it. We'd just have to loosen the grip on THAI's influence within government on these things.

here we go again.

In anycase, it seems a shame to let such a piece of infrastructure lie idle. Costs are largely sunk. Definitely could be a LCC hub if someone put their mind to it. We'd just have to loosen the grip on THAI's influence within government on these things.

Thai doesn't want to be burdened with the costs of servicing two hubs.

I went through it traversing Bangkok to get from one up country base to international connections for two years and it was very costly time wise and very costly for my employer. Connections were shocking and essentially it was an absolute royal pain in the ass.

If the point of Thai airways is to make money, it should not be lumbered with extra costs simply to service Don Muang. Thai airways needs to be run on the basis of making money, and providing the best service it can not keeping Don Muang open.

Edited by Thai at Heart

here we go again.

I went through it traversing Bangkok to get from one up country base to international connections for two years and it was very costly time wise and very costly for my employer. Connections were shocking and essentially it was an absolute royal pain in the ass.

If the point of Thai airways is to make money, it should not be lumbered with extra costs simply to service Don Muang. Thai airways needs to be run on the basis of making money, and providing the best service it can not keeping Don Muang open.

I never suggested THAI should be compelled to use DM.

What should happen is that DM be given free reign in how it charges for tariffs (landing charges, etc) so they are independent from the new airport. These charges would likely be less than the ones at the new airport.

Airlines could then be free to decide whether it is worth their while in landing there or not. This may or may no include THAI.

What I did suggest is THAI's influence should be ignored. Afterall, a LCC hub say at DM would severely erode THAI's revenues on a number of routes.

Edited by samran

here we go again.

I never suggested THAI should be compelled to use DM.

What should happen is that DM be given free reign in how it charges for tariffs (landing charges, etc) so they are independent from the new airport. These charges would likely be less than the ones at the new airport.

Airlines could then be free to decide whether it is worth their while in landing there or not. This may or may no include THAI.

What I did suggest is THAI's influence should be ignored. Afterall, a LCC hub say at DM would severely erode THAI's revenues on a number of routes.

Apologies for misunderstanding. Indeed DMK, should be free to charge what it likes. If airlines want to use it, that is up to them. If Thai decides to use it, that is up to them, but it should be decided by the economics and service benefits alone, not for political ends to help DMK.

Made a suggestion about this many months back.

1/ Should complete the partly built sky train to Don Muang.

2/ Turn the biggest unused building into a market like an indoor jata-jak.

3/ Another big building could be a mall/supermarket.

4/ Revamp all the other unused buildings as rental or for sale rooms and condos, in a range from basic to luxuary.

5/ Make all other unused space into parking.

Should be returning a good profit in a few years.

4/ Revamp all the other unused buildings as rental or for sale rooms and condos, in a range from basic to luxuary.

I agree with point No 1 .. could be nice to have a sky train or extension from Moochit subway

No 2 ,there are enough markets in Bangkok

No 3 also too many malls already offering exactly the same shops

No 4 hard to transform a terminal into condo

No 5 parking place ???????? for who ? you need the No 1 if you want people to get rid of their car

It seems to me that there is no fundimental reason why the Don Muang airport cannot be used as a second international airport. Airlines would, therefore, be free to choose which airport they use.

Utilising Suvarnabhumi as the sole international and Don Muang as the internal airport would be folly in the extreme. In such a scenario, all passengers would arrive at the former then have to cross the city to get a connection for local flights - can you imagine the turmoil this would cause especially at peak traffic times.

No, I believe that Bangkok can well do with upgrading old Don to modern day standards which may, I suspect, be significantly cheaper than constructing another runway at Suvarnabhumi.

No 5 parking place ???????? for who ? you need the No 1 if you want people to get rid of their car

True. Greenie weenies want to get rid of cars. Free marketeers want to give people a choice.

Goods come to market in trucks. Trucks need a place to park. It's called "commerce".

From the moment that the question became obvious, 'what to do with Don Muang after the new airport was ready to open', the obvious solution to me with my Logistics and Export background was to utilize DM solely for Cargo and freight. But since that seemed logical and simple to me, I knew that would never happen. As for connecting from Suwanabumi to DM, that fiasco was doomed as this is thailand (TIT). Eventually it'll become a place for tour buses to park, shirts and VCD's to be sold, and of course there will be food available. I've no confidence that there is any strategic thought put into most anything here. That said, I LOVE to live here.

I have often wondered why when Don Muang could have been expanded it was necessary to build a whole new airport? That said London has two large International airports, Heathrow and Gatwick which work very well together.

Perhaps they could run Charter flights, budget airlines and shorter haul traffic out of Don Muang.

It seems to me that there is no fundimental reason why the Don Muang airport cannot be used as a second international airport. Airlines would, therefore, be free to choose which airport they use.

Utilising Suvarnabhumi as the sole international and Don Muang as the internal airport would be folly in the extreme. In such a scenario, all passengers would arrive at the former then have to cross the city to get a connection for local flights - can you imagine the turmoil this would cause especially at peak traffic times.

No, I believe that Bangkok can well do with upgrading old Don to modern day standards which may, I suspect, be significantly cheaper than constructing another runway at Suvarnabhumi.

Agree - many major cities have duplicate international airports. But the runways and taxi aprons are shocking in DM. I was in the jump seat of a 777 and I could not believe how bad the surface was. If they reseal and upgrade no reason for the airport not to handle international traffic. But interconnectivity is essential and no reason a fast rail link cannot be established. It would certainly be the cheapest option after the funds that have been sunk into Swampy.

Common sense and commercial awareness.......nah! Surely never happen here? Nice dream though.

Brewsta

DM could be used for cargo and lcct (low cost carrier terminal). Leaving primary airport for primary purpose.

First of all I want to characterize my response in no way as a personal attack on the author. It's nice to see people thinking creatively about an underused large piece of national infrastructure such as Don Muang. I am a professional architect who has done airport design and planning before, so I know of what I speak.

That said, I think it is a waste of time for so many who are lacking technical expertise to continue speculating about what is to come of DMK in a way that is critical of Thai planning operations. Reuse and modifications can go many ways, but DMK's current postion as an underused airport does actually serve the future well if you look at historical examples of airports and "twin airports" worldwide. What you find is, as the pressure grows to expand the number of flights into a metropolitan or regional area, then the powers that be wake up and adapt and expand what used to be an antiquated facilty into an more modern and more useful airport.

The investment in aircraft runways and their enormous land area needs, not to mention the requirements for low rise structures in the approach paths is so valuable and rare in a major city that unless you have a situation like Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport, you will rarely find these facilities being demolished or permanently converted into another use. Having two functional airports allows major construction on one while shifting flight, passenger and cargo requirements to the other while improvements are being completed. Such improvements may take 3 or 5 years or longer after the planning and design activity is completed, which take years in itself. It is not like building a simple structure by any means. Look at Chicago's Midway Airport. It took them more than 30 years to "get it right" and this is a city famous for planning large mega-projects.

Regarding the op's number one suggestion that the skytrain be extended to Don Muang, I completely agree. The plans to complete cross-airport transit services (air-links, light rail and other mass transit) between airports should also be brought to completion.

The other 4 suggestions he made I have seen similar ones in other postings elsewhere and are probably not feasible. It is not economical to convert a large multilple floor building with floor systems designed for pedestrian live loads, into a parking facility capable of handling cars and vans, let alone buses or trucks. This is an "Alice in Wonderland" suggestion. In any case, I think my point of having twin airports is the one that trumps all the other ideas mentioned.

Maybe we should all be less critical of Thai planning on this asset and let time take its natural course. It's not a simple issue that any of us can solve in a few sentences.

Edited by Katmanpu

DM is in a built-up area, so not much chance of expansion, unlike Swampy. Transferring cargo from Swampy to DM, yet keeping some of the internal flights there too, and finishing the Skytrain route so it interconnects with Swampy, would also ease up conjestion and make this Skytrain route more profitable. The Skytrain route could also move cargo, into Depots in BK, (There's old railway yards near the main station - The one you see with old steam stains parked up?) thereby reducing trucks on the roads, reducing the traffic on already congested roads.

Just an idea, haven't looked at a map to see how feasible this would be though!

Good news! Don Muang reeked of atmosphere - unlike sterile Suvanarbhumi!

An musty atomosphere. I cannot believe they are seriously thinking of reviving this old facility. Whilst I haven't been to the two international terminals at DMK for over 4 years, I visit the domestic terminal a few times a year, and boy what a dated, crappy terminal it is. Luckily there's only two airlines still using it (NOK and Orient Thai) for a total of 30 flights a day.

I avoid DMK wherever possible, and I sincerely hope NOK will bite the bullet and move to BKK as well.

Imagine if they had NOT moved all of those offices to C. Wattana, but instead Dong Muang (which would still have leftover space) all of the money they would save.

I guess talks of those proposals failed when they said they wanted new facilities, but still, remodeling here or there would've saved a chunk of change.

Still massive space left even if you move a few aviation offices in.................................................

In Central Europe, the environment is suffering from heavy traffic of goods and people and the countries are therefore VERY focused on getting the cargo back on the railway! In Switzerland, they are constructing the longest railway tunnel in the World to provide the logistics for this plan to be carried out. Another long railway tunnel is being built in the french part of the Alps--

In Thailand, the railway sucks--

and the roads are full of dangerous, slow moving trucks everywhere, halting the traffic and adding environmentally issues to the long list of other problems, they are causing.

I was thinking about:

Converting Don Muang into a a cargo airport combined with a Central Freight Station - it could be named "Bangkok Mega Freight Terminal" or "King Bhumibol Mega Freight Terminal", in honor of his Majesty, King Bhumibol Adulyadej :wai:

With lots of space for tracks and train wagons, storage facilities etc. + the connection to the railway system in Thailand already in place, such a terminal could boost the use of the railway system in all of Thailand - and lead to both foreign and national investments in new tracks, locomotives and wagons and in that way bring Thai Railway beyond the year 1900. It will create thousands of new jobs in the railway construction sector. And more locally, it will pave the road for a whole new type of trucks designed for local transport of goods - to and from the local railway station.

This is also good for the environment - which Thailand by the way should start thinking about much more now than before, if it want to keep its leading position as a place that tourists enjoy spending their time and hard earned money.

And now that we are talking about the environment, let me add:

IF there is any space left in the Don Muang Airport area after they have built this mega freight terminal, let it be used to establish a huge solar panel facility that can provide clean solar energy for a big part of Bangkok Metropolitan area.

If there is one thing they have a lot of in Thailand its sun and heat :hit-the-fan::clap2: Oh, that is actually two things :closedeyes:

I am sure that Thailand would have NO PROBLEM, finding investors for both these projects. I would be the first to buy shares in any of these projects B)