Camping Doi Inthanon

seesip

Looking to spend one night in a tent/sleeping bag. Any advice regarding the campsite, hikes in the area, etc? Not sure if the campground might fill up and if so how to time the arrival. Also, is most of the park accessible w/a standard automatic 2WD car? Is there parking next to the campsite? (this is how the generic campsites were back in the U.S.--meaning you park at the spot where you throw your tent. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

We spent 2 nights there last December but we rented one of the cabins instead of using our tent. You can check out cabin rentals for all the national parks at: www.dnp.go.th

I did notice the camping area as we had to drive thru it to get to the cabin and it looked like you could park your car next to many the camping places. They had toilet/showers (with hot water) in the camp area. We were there during the week and it wasn't crowded but I imagine like other parks it probably fills up on the weekends particularly since it is near Chiang Mai. We were there the first week of December and it got pretty cold at night but the days were ok. We are going again the last week of November but we will be staying at one of the many cabins around the park. Here is the one we will probably stay at: www.doisureyacamping.com

You will be ok with your car as all the roads are paved, at least the ones I saw. The "highest point" in Thailand is in the park but it's a paved road to the top but steep in parts. Lots of waterfalls to see but didn't notice any hiking trails like in Khao Yai. Have fun!

Don't do what some Thai people did a few years ago and put a charcoal burner in the tent to keep warm. They put it in the kids tent and in the morning the where dead from either no oxygen or carbon monoxide poisoning..

Don't do what some Thai people did a few years ago and put a charcoal burner in the tent to keep warm. They put it in the kids tent and in the morning the where dead from either no oxygen or carbon monoxide poisoning..

I know better than that and thought that's why you brought the wife along, to snuggle up to and keep warm at night!:whistling:

I know better than that and thought that's why you brought the wife along, to snuggle up to and keep warm at night!:whistling:

If the wife is in bad mood you could take option B and snuggle up with the dog. :)

That sounds like fun and from reading this considering taking the wife and our dog up there and set up a tent. Does anyone know if there are places to eat there and is bringing a dog a problem?

At the visitor's center, which is near the camping area, there is a large restaurant. I don't think you can take a dog into the national parks.

seesip user_popup.png

Posted Today, 15:20

Looking to spend one night in a tent/sleeping bag. Any advice regarding the campsite, hikes in the area, etc? Not sure if the campground might fill up and if so how to time the arrival.

This article may help

http://www.chiangmai...on_camping.html

Edited by Asmerom

@seesip - i know Doi Inthanon very well & there's quite a few good hiking trails on offer...

popular ones begin at km 13, km 34.5 & km 37.5

each one of these (and others) takes you into different habitat ranging from open dry forest & lush jungle right up to damp cloud forest near/at the summit.

as for camping, no problem.. bring your own tent or rent everything you need from the Park HQ. The campground is large, don't worry about just turning up.. there'll be a pitch for sure.

if you're hungry.. HQ area or Mr Deang's cafe (few km's beyond HQ - there's roadside vendors around here too) also restaurants at the 2 Chedi's (near the top) & hot drinks/snacks at the summit itself.

2wd car more than enough power all the way to the top.. & fine at the campsite (i did it on a scooter once many years ago, complete with angry backfires as it struggled to climb in parts)