Reasons I Am Leaving Pattaya

AndyPooots

Im off to the UK for a year tomorrow which im not really looking forward to (weather/police state/ council tax etc..) im going by choice not necessity and for a bit of sanity/reality, if i return i'll give Hua Hin a go and if that doesnt work then Thailands clearly not for me, maybe youve reached that point?

Your right,point reached for me anyway.

Pattaya and Thailand generally was always going to be a staging post while I concluded dealings elsewhere. Now I want out,each day I am here it feels like prison.I try and keep out of the way of the average Thai,always crap items for sale,the mentality I just cannot deal with.Once the sell by date is reached it becomes torture being here. Talking to farangs that have been here for 20 odd years produce the same result,everyone I have spoken to lately are of the same opinon "it's f*****d " is more or less the standard answer

"

Contrast this with Malaysia ,just the opposite,clean,efficient services,crime free as anyone would wish,just feels far more comfortable to live in,one country living comfortability within the 21 st century,the other shinking rapidly into the 19 th century.

I would not return to my home country ,but there are a couple of spots I would (and am) looking forward to re locating to,just want to conclude the one outstanding item that is being dealt with and I can put my enforced stay here in Pattaya as a bad memory

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im off to the UK for a year tomorrow which im not really looking forward to (weather/police state/ council tax etc..) im going by choice not necessity and for a bit of sanity/reality, if i return i'll give Hua Hin a go and if that doesnt work then Thailands clearly not for me, maybe youve reached that point?

Pattaya and Thailand generally was always going to be a staging post while I concluded dealings elsewhere. Now I want out,each day I am here it feels like prison.I try and keep out of the way of the average Thai,always crap items for sale,the mentality I just cannot deal with.Once the sell by date is reached it becomes torture being here. Talking to farangs that have been here for 20 odd years produce the same result,everyone I have spoken to lately are of the same opinon "it's f*****d " is more or less the standard answer

"

Contrast this with Malaysia ,just the opposite,clean,efficient services,crime free as anyone would wish,just feels far more comfortable to live in,one country living comfortability within the 21 st century,the other shinking rapidly into the 19 th century.

I would not return to my home country ,but there are a couple of spots I would (and am) looking forward to re locating to,just want to conclude the one outstanding item that is being dealt with and I can put my enforced stay here in Pattaya as a bad memory

Malaysia? Boring...and there are many problems there. Religious, multi-racial, massive deforestation, corruption, and just plain mai sanook! But if you enjoy it, go for it. But not all of us are as unhappy with Thailand as you indicate....maybe you need to associate with a new group of people....

"

Its been my experience that the ones who utter the "it's f*****d " mantra are in reality talking about themselves if the truth be known.

The lack of financial planning, the two week millionaires thinking they are living the dream, the 70 baht plus to the pound brigade, the suckers who ended up buying into a business they can now no longer operate at a profit and are unable to sell to the next unsuspecting mug, the guys who built palaces in Issan at over inflated prices, the guys who burned their bridges, the ones with no exit strategy or backup plan in place, etc etc etc.

Thailand and Pattaya is changing, and a lot of it for the better, but if you think you can live the high life on 50,000 baht per month think again.

"

Its been my experience that the ones who utter the "it's f*****d " mantra are in reality talking about themselves if the truth be known.

The lack of financial planning, the two week millionaires thinking they are living the dream, the 70 baht plus to the pound brigade, the suckers who ended up buying into a business they can now no longer operate at a profit and are unable to sell to the next unsuspecting mug, the guys who built palaces in Issan at over inflated prices, the guys who burned their bridges, the ones with no exit strategy or backup plan in place, etc etc etc.

Thailand and Pattaya is changing, and a lot of it for the better, but if you think you can live the high life on 50,000 baht per month think again.

Well put...

Pretty much spot on :)

Yes it must be hard for the likes quoted,businesses that cannot be sold,trapped by property ownership,God now that is likened to a living death

The rule of thumb should really be don't retire in Thailand unless you can afford to retire in your own country.

That way you are never trapped or never feel trapped.

I like the idea of having a base both in Oz and in Thailand and until I have enough money to do that i will keep working.

Plenty of Aussies have retired in Indonesia and Bali specifically so for those bore with Thailand Indonesia might be an option.

Yes it must be hard for the likes quoted,businesses that cannot be sold,trapped by property ownership,God now that is likened to a living death

And which country might you be speaking of? There are dozens that fit that description....

And which country might you be speaking of? There are dozens that fit that description....

Personally I have chosen Cyprus,nice little village,close by a larger town, citrus trees surrounding the property. Short sail to explore those hundreds of Greek islands,days sailing to Egypt,beautiful promenade in Alexandria now,and that fantastic Mediterranean sea (in summer that is) no visas,can own property,no frozen pensions etc, winter fuel allowance,cheap charter flights back 'ome if needed,English spoken ,no scams at every turn, at least Thailand has given me the opportunity to relax and enjoy life (on leaving it) More expensive granted,but no pockets in shrouds

Personally I have chosen Cyprus,nice little village,close by a larger town, citrus trees surrounding the property. Short sail to explore those hundreds of Greek islands,days sailing to Egypt,beautiful promenade in Alexandria now,and that fantastic Mediterranean sea (in summer that is) no visas,can own property,no frozen pensions etc, winter fuel allowance,cheap charter flights back 'ome if needed,English spoken ,no scams at every turn, at least Thailand has given me the opportunity to relax and enjoy life (on leaving it) More expensive granted,but no pockets in shrouds

Fine...good for you...so piss-off to Cypress and find some Cypress Visa forum to post on why don't you. Just remember, no place is perfect! Just a couple months ago I saw a BBC documentary on Brits who had "invested" their life's savings buying land in Cypress on which to build their retirement dream homes. Because of the confused state of the land ownership laws, the were in the process of being evicted from the homes they had partially constructed by some locals that had come out of the woodwork and were fighting it out in the local courts trying to save what was left of their investments.

Also, don't forget to don your flack-jacket when the Greeks and the Turks go at it again over these paradise retirement islands :lol:

Edited by FarangBuddha

If you can not find happiness here in Pattaya you may as well go to the top floor of an apartment block and jump head first because you will never be happy anywhere.

Make yourself a very comfortable home here, a home where you like to spend time in, renting cheap rooms and going on the piss 7 nights a week isnt the way to find happiness and contentment.

I have heard a lot about Cypress. My very good friends rave about Cypress. I have never been, but have been to Greece. Beautiful islands. I would love to be able to explore this place more. Perhaps sometime in the future. Sounds great!

Fine...good for you...so piss-off to Cypress and find some Cypress Visa forum to post on why don't you. Just remember, no place is perfect! Just a couple months ago I saw a BBC documentary on Brits who had "invested" their life's savings buying land in Cypress on which to build their retirement dream homes. Because of the confused state of the land ownership laws, the were in the process of being evicted from the homes they had partially constructed by some locals that had come out of the woodwork and were fighting it out in the local courts trying to save what was left of their investments.

Also, don't forget to don your flack-jacket when the Greeks and the Turks go at it again over these paradise retirement islands :lol:

Now ,now being so clever (no I think not) I thought you may have picked up on statement . I said no Visa,all the UK allowances payable so that means erm... southern Cyprus,the Greek part.

No confused state of the island on the south,no evictions,no woodwork to come out of,no local courts to fight ownership out. No disputes between Greeks and Turks,sorry to say you have been wrong before and guess what? your wrong again DUH.

Saved myself a load of money by not buying anything in Thailand and that was a no-brainer from the start,buy here and it's throwing money away

,,,,and do not forget free and full medical care at 65 ,now is that saving a bundle ,or is it not?

Edited by jori

Now ,now being so clever (no I think not) I thought you may have picked up on statement . I said no Visa,all the UK allowances payable so that means erm... southern Cyprus,the Greek part.

No confused state of the island on the south,no evictions,no woodwork to come out of,no local courts to fight ownership out. No disputes between Greeks and Turks,sorry to say you have been wrong before and guess what? your wrong again DUH.

Saved myself a load of money by not buying anything in Thailand and that was a no-brainer from the start,buy here and it's throwing money away

,,,,and do not forget free and full medical care at 65 ,now is that saving a bundle ,or is it not?

Bon voyage.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Bon voyage.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

I bet it's hit yours a few times LOL

I got nuttin against anyone retiring in Cypress, Pattaya, or anywhere else they choose. If you've got it all sorted out and it's a secure retirement fine. Anybody who has bought real estate in Thailand over the past decade has made a bundle...even if they sell for the same nominal amount in baht, they've made 20-30% when converting back to their Western currency. So you may want to re-consider that not buying in Thailand being a "no-brainer" statement. For those of us who call Thailand home, it doesn't really matter what real estate prices are currently...only what they originally paid and if that was affordable to them.

I don't know anything about all your UK allowances...just hope they continue to pay them as they cut all government department budgets 20-30% over the next few years. As to that "free" medical care in Cypress...don't forget, you get what you pay for...and the last I heard, Cypress was not very high on the list of quality medical-tourism destinations. Just bone up on your Greek or whatever language they speak over there so you can tell the doc what part of your body to operate on...wouldn't want any confusion there now would we :lol:

Spot on FarangBuddha, jori must really miss it here since he is still on TV. If I had left LOS for good, I don't think I would bother reading/writing in TV anymore unless sitting and crying with a bottle of whisky close by :lol:. Cypres is very dessert like, yes?? You can keep that.

Somebody mention Malaysia :unsure: what a fuxxxing boring place, been to the beautiful Penang a couple of times, very nice but living there, never. Heard of some of the Thailand Harley boys got their Harley's stolen down there, that never happen in LOS, when I park mine I only use the ignition lock and never had a problem.

I spent a lot of money on our new house and I never regretted it (yes I sold my old house recently for a good price). It is very quiet and peaceful in our Village but the madness is only 3 km away (60 bath by MC taxi), so once or twice a week I go down for beers with expat friends and enjoy the Russian tourist girls. I am a very lucky man, I am living in Paradise.

Great Thanks,

Oh by the way, I would check out the statement on the other forum from a poster regarding company buying methods regarding property in Thailand,just where he got his information from. Personally I got a slight insight into what is happening 6 weeks or so ago at immigration,you may not have anything to sell

You two above sound like real jerks,it's not Cypres DUH,yea, seen some of you Harley boys,the real thing ,thick as s***,perhaps another reason to quit "paradise"

Edited by jori

Spot on FarangBuddha, jori must really miss it here since he is still on TV. If I had left LOS for good, I don't think I would bother reading/writing in TV anymore unless sitting and crying with a bottle of whisky close by :lol:. Cypres is very dessert like, yes?? You can keep that. . I am a very lucky man, I am living in Paradise.

One man's Paradise is another man's Cyprus ! :)

Spot on FarangBuddha, jori must really miss it here since he is still on TV. If I had left LOS for good, I don't think I would bother reading/writing in TV anymore unless sitting and crying with a bottle of whisky close by :lol:. Cypres is very dessert like, yes?? You can keep that. . I am a very lucky man, I am living in Paradise.

One man's Paradise is another man's Cyprus ! :)

Great Thanks,

Oh by the way, I would check out the statement on the other forum from a poster regarding company buying methods regarding property in Thailand,just where he got his information from. Personally I got a slight insight into what is happening 6 weeks or so ago at immigration,you may not have anything to sell

You are still here, huh.:violin:

Well good on me that I sold my old company owned house then, I have another set-up now having kids and all. I didn't really buy the house to sell it, but when I retire in app. 15 years time I can live cheaply in it. Well that is the plan anyway.

No I am not fat (yet).

Which assault rifle will you buy suiting your flack-jacket best, M16 or AK47.

I won't miss you.

I researched this Cyprus thing a bit. It ain't all that great. Here's some headlines:

“In Greece, Bulgaria and Cyprus there is almost universal agreement that corruption is a national problem” says damning EU Commission report.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The property market in Cyprus appears to be stabilising but economists are still expecting values to fall another 4% in 2010 on top of the 8% decline in 2009

Although values and transactions and permits for building are slowly increasing there is still very much subdued interest from buyers on both a domestic and foreign level.

The Cyprus Title Deeds Problem Makes it Onto the UK Prime Minister’s E-petition Website

Others were about cowboy estate agents, land being developed illegally, thousands of vacationing Brits during the summer packing beaches, serious looming border problems, Israeli's by the boat load visiting the casinos, etc, etc, etc.

Lori: Seems you are just trading one area you hate for another you eventually will...

I was in Cyprus visiting my folks last March, they were living in Pissouri which is in the Greek side in between Pafos and Limmasol.

They were paying around 700 USD a month to rent a tiny 2 bedroom villa well actually half of a villa. I was there for 1 week and in the week i spent around 1500USD and this was only on taking the parents out for a big meal, and drinking in the evenings until 12 - the place was like a ghost town after 12. One night i even decided to go to Pafos alone for some excitement.......that was like Blackpool <deleted> beach but twice the price.

Anyway my parents left after 8 months and although they did enjoy the climate, the overall price of living on the Greek side was just daft - you could live in a lot better places for the money.

I researched this Cyprus thing a bit. It ain't all that great. Here's some headlines:

"In Greece, Bulgaria and Cyprus there is almost universal agreement that corruption is a national problem" says damning EU Commission report.

The property market in Cyprus appears to be stabilising but economists are still expecting values to fall another 4% in 2010 on top of the 8% decline in 2009

Although values and transactions and permits for building are slowly increasing there is still very much subdued interest from buyers on both a domestic and foreign level.

The Cyprus Title Deeds Problem Makes it Onto the UK Prime Minister's E-petition Website

Others were about cowboy estate agents, land being developed illegally, thousands of vacationing Brits during the summer packing beaches, serious looming border problems, Israeli's by the boat load visiting the casinos, etc, etc, etc.

Lori: Seems you are just trading one area you hate for another you eventually will...

Don't tell Jori...he knows everything about living in Cypress already...evidently drunk the "Cypress My Second Home" Kool-Aid already :lol:

You've not been to Egypt before have you.

i left pattaya 5 weeks ago and now live in na bot in tak province, very boondocks, mostly farming. my wife asked me to move up.

at first i was bored but i am making alot of friends and feeling much better. its very beatiful up here, better than cm. the people are

AWESOME, i cant believe how nice compared tp patts or bkk. when i go out people buy me beers like crazy and seem to like farangs. i havent been overcharged/ripped off once.

when i get bored i just jump on my motocy and go exploring. the roads are very safe, hardly any traffic.

girl wise its not like pattaya but in a week i acquired a hot lil burmese girl, i just buy her food and she seems happy enough. i met a few other thais too that seem nice.

its super cheap to live up here, i'd say 1/2 the cost of patts. i spend about 700 baht a day, beers, girl, bills etc

oh the police are awesome here, i made friends w 3 so far, last sat night one took me out drinking in his police truck lol

i got 2 business card to show at checkpoints but i always get waved thru, no helmet, unreg bike etc lol

i left pattaya 5 weeks ago and now live in na bot in tak province, very boondocks, mostly farming. my wife asked me to move up.

at first i was bored but i am making alot of friends and feeling much better. its very beatiful up here, better than cm. the people are

AWESOME, i cant believe how nice compared tp patts or bkk. when i go out people buy me beers like crazy and seem to like farangs. i havent been overcharged/ripped off once.

when i get bored i just jump on my motocy and go exploring. the roads are very safe, hardly any traffic.

girl wise its not like pattaya but in a week i acquired a hot lil burmese girl, i just buy her food and she seems happy enough. i met a few other thais too that seem nice.

its super cheap to live up here, i'd say 1/2 the cost of patts. i spend about 700 baht a day, beers, girl, bills etc

oh the police are awesome here, i made friends w 3 so far, last sat night one took me out drinking in his police truck lol

i got 2 business card to show at checkpoints but i always get waved thru, no helmet, unreg bike etc lol

Totally Agree Dude. Once you get outside of Pattaya you see a totally different side to Thailand and its mostly for the better. Sure there's not the same number of bars, gogos or western restaurants but I find the sheer friendliness of the local population more than make up for that. In Ubon I didnt know how much the baht bus was so I just handed in 20 baht and walked off. Furious honking and calling me back ensued. I went back thinking, 'they must want more than 20 baht' but it was to give me back my change. Small things like this do not happen in Pattaya.

When you said its 'better than cm' - did you mean Chiang Mai? How is it better than there? I only ask because I'm going to leave Pattaya and move up there to CM next week. Hope I'm doing the right thing.

you'll be fine in chiang mai, i just meant tak is more scenic, mountainous etc

another thing i forgot to mention is i went to the govt/30 baht hospital here and i was pretty impressed, great service, smart dr

Totally Agree Dude. Once you get outside of Pattaya you see a totally different side to Thailand and its mostly for the better. Sure there's not the same number of bars, gogos or western restaurants but I find the sheer friendliness of the local population more than make up for that. In Ubon I didnt know how much the baht bus was so I just handed in 20 baht and walked off. Furious honking and calling me back ensued. I went back thinking, 'they must want more than 20 baht' but it was to give me back my change. Small things like this do not happen in Pattaya.

When you said its 'better than cm' - did you mean Chiang Mai? How is it better than there? I only ask because I'm going to leave Pattaya and move up there to CM next week. Hope I'm doing the right thing.

Most of the people who rag on Thailand have either never left one of the big cities to enjoy the "quiet" side of Thailand, or are just grumpy and are unhappy no matter where they live. I know this will offend some, but I could not imagine myself living in Central Pattaya. It's just not for me...single or married.

I've enjoyed my visits to the countryside in Thailand. The people have treated me fantastically! I've taken my scooter to remote villages, stopped off to get a cold one, and end up sitting and talking with the locals. I don't speak any Thai...but there always seems to be someone walking around who speaks a bit of English.

Congrats for finding your "Shangri La"!