Proof Of Income, Embassy Letter, Use Last Years?

Two American Farangs who I took to Immg. Sakhon Nakhon for their extensions last Dec. were both told they could use the Income Letter for two years... They even made copies of their original letters and returned the original ones to them....

After hearing so many offices requiring new letters on this and other forums, one of them called Sakhon Nakhon Immg. Office last week to ask, and was told that their office received a letter from Bangkok stating that everyone needed a new letter every year...

Luck for them, the US Embassy is doing a Visit to Khon Kaen this month making a trip to Bangkok not nessicary...

Pianoman

In my many forays to both the old Bangkok Immigrations at Suan Plu and the new one out at Changwattana, I have yet to find a hard fast rule regarding when a verification of income letter from the US embassy becomes (in thai eyes) 'stale' or out of date.

I've had them accept the previous year's letters from acquaintances on numerous occasions in the past. BUT I have also had them reject the old one, request a new letter be issued too. I even had one refused when the letter was about 5 months old (but that guy got pissy with the officer and IMHO it was more a case of her making that guy do some 'hoop jumping', rather than the letter being truly 'stale').

When in doubt I always recommend a new letter, OR at the very least, suggest you call your local immigrations office to see what their take on it is.

Since switching to the "zone" immigrations offices scattered hither and yon across the country I have read reports on this forum of immigration officers taking, shall we say, some very creative license in interpreting the rules depending on the office.

Thankfully Bangkok runs pretty close to the mark. Even out there though, if you make waves, or cop a 'holier-than-thou' attitude you can quite easily be in for some extra 'hoop jumping'.

FWIW: Here's the itinerary of the US Embassy's Consular Outreach Schedule for the rest of this year and most of next too;

US Consular Outreach Schedule;

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 Khon Khaen

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 Pattaya

Friday, December 17, 2010 Phuket

Thursday, January 6, 2011 Khorat

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 Pattaya

Thursday, March 10, 2011 Udon

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 Phuket

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 Pattaya

Thursday, June 9, 2011 Khon Khaen

Thursday, June 16, 2011 Phuket

Thursday, September 1, 2011 Pattaya

Thursday, September 8, 2011 Udorn

Friday, September 16, 2011 Phuket

for the last 5 years since I have been on either a married or retirement visa the immigration has kept the original letter from the consulate or embassy, each time I have asked if I could keep the letter for the following year and each time told "no" and i have had to obtain visas from four different immigration offices due to reorganisation

The last time I went into immigration here in Phuket for my 90 day check in, I asked. An officer looked through my passport and said your visa is good until June 28, 2011. I said yes, but what date does my earnings statement have to be for next June. Oh, he said. It has to be dated the same year, so anytime from January 1, 2011 on. So, it has to be the current year and they always keep the original, here at least.

If you try to extend on January 3rd would it still be "same year" requirement? I have doubts.

my income paper alwys come in april and thel me what i have got the year before.so i get the confirmation from the ambassy and use it by the emmigration office,newer have a problem.

johny b

Sometimes yes most the times no. Depends on the immigration officer.

About 3 or 4 years ago they use to give the original embassy letter of proof of income back and you could use it the next year, but after that they said that you always had to have a new letter and have never accepted a copy and they no longer give the original back in Pattaya. I hear now you have to have some other kind of proof or substanation of monthly income. I would like to know if anyone knows about this new requirement??

Edited by keith7777

About 3 or 4 years ago they use to give the original embassy letter of proof of income back and you could use it the next year, but after that they said that you always had to have a new letter and have never accepted a copy and they no longer give the original back in Pattaya. I hear now you have to have some other kind of proof or substanation of monthly income. I would like to know if anyone knows about this new requirement??

Back in June when I did my extension, the not very helpful foreign volunteer who had told me my earnings statement had to be less than 90 days old (untrue) and I should have some bank statements to back it up. The immigration officer, said I don't need your bank statement or want to look at it. But he said I need a copy of your ATM card to show you have a way to get your money. He had someone copy it for me for free. I suggest dressing nicely, be able to speak some Thai if you've been here for years and be very polite. We ended up talking about our kids and how expensive sending them to the university is. He was a really nice guy.

You need new letter. Letter must be dated within the last two months. This is according to Immigration police as of this past week.

Please advise source office and if you know the rank of person making that statement as other reports are in conflict and it is seldom that there is such firm requirements at all offices. Thanks.

Edit: Found earlier post that indicates was a change of status followed by extension of stay 2 months later and two Embassy letters required so suspect that might be the reason for the 2 months rather than it being a general rule.

Edited by lopburi3
additonal information

I was at the Chiang Mai Imm Office recently and they insisted on keeping the original ,embossed, letter from Brit. Consul,. It really grates having to pay over 2000 baht for a simple downloaded template, signed by an official.