Where To Buy Chickens

Not so easy as you think it should be.......the only sources up here in Chiang Mai are thru the local feed dealers and minimum order is 100. It may be different if you are in another provence.......I saw baby chicks available in the local market of Surin in several varieties......even ducks and geese.

Once, I was able to jump in on a big order and got 20 rhode island reds and they gave me great happiness for a year and a half until they went into a molt and stopped laying and became stew.

The whole poultry operation got taken over by corporate farming during the bird flu scare and CP and a few others took over all the production/distribution of young chicks.

Since you're in Chiang Rai, do a drive up to Chiang Sean town and ask around, they will tell you where the RIR farms is, also they happen to be the Northern Chicken Egg Association too, they supplied me 11 years ago when i was doing 3'000 RIR layers farm, i know the location but had since lost contact with the owner :)

here's some pictures of my RIR layers farm then...

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__2821281

Edited by RedBullHorn

No...they haven't move, they can't even if they want to, too big of an operation ( 20-30 rai )

and Jubby. You've been watched :lol:

Yeah. I know. I think he's one of those guys in chiang rai that go around stealing peoples buttons. :D

Do you think they will sell him a couple of chickens (female) , If so I could do with a few myself.

Let us know how you get on Sunny, and don't buy 18,000 of the little buggers :D

if it's a couple or even 20 hens, i think she (the owner) would sell him those that are going into molt in a few months time so really, don't go buying 18'000 of them RIR :lol:

P.S. IMHO, if youare looking to keep just a few, you're better off keeping some village hens and a rooster, they lay better eggs and if you have RIR, you would need to buy sacks of chicken feed while the village hens only need scraps and broken rice... if you're looking to have a business out of it, of course the RIR is the prefered choice, been there...done it...knows better...;)

Edited by RedBullHorn