When Are They Going To Launch

Anek18

Just wonder because I hate flying over Ubon to land in Bkk and then get another flight to fly to Ubon..  I'm coming from Japan btw

Rumour has it, it's on the cards for somewhere around Surin. Although Ubon is titled Ubon Ratachani International Airport. I think that's Thai for people from any country can land there.

The idea is for bangkok to be the "hub" with flights out to the regional airports... can't see this changing... not for medium and long distance flights anyway.... probably wouldn't be financially viable anyway without the domestic market keeping the passenger numbers up.

totster :o:D

I'm not an expert on airports but I think the gov't gives the 'international' designation for any airport where an airplane of any type can land after taking off from another country or take off to leave the country. This means that an airport must minimally have a customs office to be called 'international'. With a customs office an airport can accomodate planes carrying freight from another country....if the airport also has an immigrations office then it can also accomodate planes with passengers. Passenger planes might be limited to general aviation (small private planes) and international commercial jet flights might not be allowed. Also its a matter of natinal pride to have lots of 'international' airports.

We all have to understand that TIT. Here all the airports are international. This is like being a professional here - if you do something for more than a day you are a professional. Spoken once to a tattoo "artist" (of couse he said he was a professional with a lot of experience) and asked him how long had he been doing this for and his answer was - a week.

Thailand already has a good number of true international airports, Bangkok, U-Tapao (Russian charters like TransAero, Sibr and Domodedovo), Phuket, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai, Krabi and Samui. Thats better than Malaysia, Indonesia or India. Ubon used to have a twice (?) weekly service to Danang with PB Air but it didn't pay. The next developement will be Chiang Mai to Europe which Thai are talking about around 2008/9 once the A380s arrive and that frees up aircraft. Its a question of demand and Isaan does not have the levels of business or tourism to gererate the demand needed for internatinal flights.

If I had to guess where the next airport to have international flights would be I would say either Surat or if you can get the RTAF to agree Prachuab Kirikhan.

Edited by tso310

Just wonder because I hate flying over Ubon to land in Bkk and then get another flight to fly to Ubon..  I'm coming from Japan btw

Rumour has it, it's on the cards for somewhere around Surin. Although Ubon is titled Ubon Ratachani International Airport. I think that's Thai for people from any country can land there.

Martin, you so full of cr*p...believe me Surin is not big enough to have any airport ...hahha :o

. The next developement will be Chiang Mai to Europe

I thought you could already fly UK to Chang Mai.

There are no direct flight. All scheduled Thailand-UK flights are to/from Bangkok. Indeed there are no flights which are through coded to Chiang Mai, unlike say Franfurt-Bangkok-Phuket. Direct flights from Chiang Mai to potential destinations in Europe were discussed in the Thai Airways investors presentation back in April. A direct Chiang Mai London flight would give you a saving of about 4 hours against the current fastest connection journey.

. The next developement will be Chiang Mai to Europe

I thought you could already fly UK to Chang Mai.

There are no direct flight. All scheduled Thailand-UK flights are to/from Bangkok. Indeed there are no flights which are through coded to Chiang Mai, unlike say Franfurt-Bangkok-Phuket. Direct flights from Chiang Mai to potential destinations in Europe were discussed in the Thai Airways investors presentation back in April. A direct Chiang Mai London flight would give you a saving of about 4 hours against the current fastest connection journey.

Yes I know scheduled. But I thought charter flights operated between CM and LGW.and Manchester. I might be wrong though. Just something I thought I'd read somewhere.

I must admit to being a bit of an aviation anorak. I hadn't heard of UK charters into Chiang Mai but it may well have happened in the past.

Back to Surin Airport, Bangkok Airways did have plans back in the late 80s or early 90s, to build a new airport and I do remember seeing a timetable with the route to Surin dotted in. I understand the current airport at Surin is now closed. When I'm next in los I'll try and pop up from Phrakhon Chai as I have a brother in law who lives near the southern(?) end of the runway.

At one time the new Buriram airport was proposed to be north of PhraKhon Chai but then someone of importance had some land they wanted to sell near Satuk. They should have built it at Krasang.

I must admit to being a bit of an aviation anorak. I hadn't heard of UK charters into Chiang Mai but it may well have happened in the past.

Back to Surin Airport, Bangkok Airways did have plans back in the late 80s or early 90s,  to build a new airport and I do remember seeing a timetable with the route to Surin dotted in. I understand the current airport at Surin is now closed. When I'm next in los I'll try and pop up from Phrakhon Chai as I have a brother in law who lives near the southern(?) end of the runway.

At one time the new Buriram airport was proposed to be north of PhraKhon Chai but then someone of importance had some land they wanted to sell near Satuk. They should have built it at Krasang.

I was told that the reason that immigration closed at AEK Udon hospital as they were going to open an office at the airport, I would asume that would be for international flights.

There is potential for international flights from the Udon/Khon Kaen area but I can't see happening except with a low cost operator and to where ? Possibly a twice a week service to Singapore for migrant workers or Hong Kong for onward travel to Japan for the migrant work force there. A couple of my wife's family are in both of those countries but I don't if there are enough workers still in these countries.

The developement of international, and to some extent domestic, airports in Thailand has been driven by tourism. I can't see what the Isaan area offers in the way of sustainable demand for either business or tourism from overseas. Mind you looking at Ryanair and Easyjet where there is a will......

There is potential for international flights from the Udon/Khon Kaen area but I can't see happening except with a low cost operator and to where ? Possibly a twice a week service to Singapore for migrant workers or Hong Kong for onward travel to Japan for the migrant work force there. A couple of my wife's family are in both of those countries but I don't if there are enough workers still in these countries.

The developement of international, and to some extent domestic, airports in Thailand has been driven by tourism. I can't see what the Isaan area offers in the way of sustainable demand for either business or tourism from overseas. Mind you looking at Ryanair and Easyjet where there is a will......

I really can't speak for any other part of Issan but as to Udon it is getting a lot of European tourist these days, nothing to the extent of Pattaya Ect and I hope it never does. I really do wonder why, but as I think about my first trip here to Pattaya and three weeks there. I had fun but I kept wondering what the real Thailand was like. Really by chance came to Udon on my next trip with the intention of taking the then sweety to back Pattaya. Well long story short I live here now, less expensive yes. But that isn't the real reason. It has many of the same aspects of Pattaya a far as women are conscerned, suficient farrangs to start up a conversation someplace in town. But much gentle lay back pace. so maybe there are some changes in the wind.

Hey Lampshade; if you look at the airport code of Surin PXR, and then the Lat and Long, it shows the airport about 500m north of the runway - check it yourself....

Longitude : 103° 30' 0" E

Latitude : 14° 53' 0" N

Here is the picture, gallery_6129_66_58673.jpg

Hey Lampshade; if you look at the airport code of Surin PXR, and then the Lat and Long, it shows the airport about 500m north of the runway - check it yourself....

Longitude : 103° 30' 0" E

Latitude : 14° 53' 0" N

Here is the picture, gallery_6129_66_58673.jpg

It's almost assuredly caused by rounding error. It is very unlikely that the precise longitude and latitude would both end in zero seconds....unless somewhere the real value got rounded off to the nearest minute. If this is correct then the real location can be anywhere plus or minus 30 seconds from the location you have indicated in both the north-south and east-west directions. Does anyone know how far one second of longitude or latitude moves you on this planet? I'm kind of lazy today and don't want to exert the effort.

I thought Ubon had flights to Siam Reap ? That would make it international...

• 9 months later...

I have found this old thread on Aviation and as it is my field I can answer accurately to the problem of the Latitude difference.

Everything depends from which reference is coming your Latitude and Longitude.

Initially earth was considered as a sphere then like an ellipsoid, then like a pear. So different system of mapping. Then the GPS came and satellite photos and we discovered that earth was a "potatoid". In the eighties a new standard of Longitude and Latitude is born the "WGS 84" more accurate than the others. But the problem if you use a GPS and a map which is not adapted to the GPS you have a difference. For those practising sailing (and fishing), this difference is written in very small on the recent Navy Charts. you can correct your GPS, in order to find the good fishing spot next time. Order of the errors 300/500m in average.

I have found this old thread on Aviation and as it is my field I can answer accurately to the problem of the Latitude difference.

Everything depends from which reference is coming your Latitude and Longitude.

Initially earth was considered as a sphere then like an ellipsoid, then like a pear. So different system of mapping. Then the GPS came and satellite photos and we discovered that earth was a "potatoid". In the eighties a new standard of Longitude and Latitude is born the "WGS 84" more accurate than the others. But the problem if you use a GPS and a map which is not adapted to the GPS you have a difference. For those practising sailing (and fishing), this difference is written in very small on the recent Navy Charts. you can correct your GPS, in order to find the good fishing spot next time. Order of the errors 300/500m in average.

You can of course see the runway on that map. Its just below the stadium out side of the ring canal. About 1 1/2" below Matts pin. The long field to the left of it is the Elephant stadium.

Edited by lampard10

Lampard,

:D I highly doubt this rumor! :D hel_l, there isn't even any airline serving Surin any more since Phuket Air pulled out. The airport sits there unused until the Elephant Festival. I used to fly up on Phuket Air from Bangkok, and it was a treat to use; cheap, fast, and easy-four times a week with a stop in Korat on the way up. The way back down was even better without the Korat stop. 50 minutes tops for the trip. Now I have to go to Satuk/Buriram to get a plane down to Bangkok on PB Air. That requires another 50 minutes trip by truck dammit! :D The Surin airport is 5 minutes from my house! :o Let me know if you hear of them starting service once again to Surin. I would be delighted to hear this.

Cent

p.s. I'll be down for a cheese plate and a couple Grolsch soon. :D

Business:

a 19 seat twin turbopropeller costs (Variable + fixed costs) around 2000 US $ per hour.

Average booking must be more than 70 % so 14 passengers to share 80000 Thai Baths = 5714 Baths per passenger per one hour of flight. (Average speed 450/500 km/h)

Who is the generous donator who want to start a Business?

Edited by Asian Frog