Crazy Thai Drivers Fail At Stopping For Red Lights

george

Bangkok - best city to ride a bike in in the world.

No traffic light cameras, no speed cameras, no parking tickets, no pursuits and no agressive driving. just look ahead and learn to switch lanes quickly.

i agree with the one of the posters above stating that equipment is useless without education.

a simple TV campaign run for 2 mins a day prime time for a few months regarding

1: how to run red lights safely

2: what those big black and white stripes crossing the road are - and what they mean.

for sure most drivers here simply dont understand the concept. saying that, cant guarantee they'd care even if they knew lol

stories moral - stay on your toes when crossing a road here and if you imagine you're invisible you'll be safest. you go round the cars - they dont go round you.

In Thailand the drivers and riders SPEED UP for an amber light.

I would have thought that was pretty universal... is in Australia at least... Red is for stop, Green is for Go, Amber is for Go Faster... If you beat the red, you saved yourself stopping, (the reason why I don't treat the traffic lights like a race start in Australia either)...

You cant blame lack of education for that driving, its Pattaya many of those filmed are probably Westerners, who within milliseconds of getting behind a wheel seem to manage to drive exactly like Thais.

But why do Thais do it? I think because a significant section of society lacks common sense and genuine decency.

Most have a close family member who has died in a road accident yet they dont learn or wear crash helmets ... such actions speaks for themselves.

Yeah they do, lack of education.

A few years back I was very nearly hit by a bus that had jumped the lights at the mall Thapra, Bangkok. I had my then 2 year old in the back and the bus was inches from hitting the rear of my car. The car behind us was not so lucky. I didn't stop and go back for 2 reasons, one was there wasn't anywhere safe to stop the other was I was a tad annoyed and may have done something stupid.

I agree that traffic cameras at junctions handing out instant fines would be the answer, but we could be a long way off from those being implemented...

people do it because they know they can't get caught. Implementing one of those automatic ticket photo things makes perfect sense for Thailand. Government could collect a lot of money without having to do anything.

Camera's !!! l would hate to see something like that happening in Thailand and the start of a nanny state.

When l looked at the video a couple of times and then again after reading the comments made, l could see when people were walking across when the lights were RED cars were slowing down while approaching the red light but continued, don't see anything wrong, most of the time no-one was crossing.

l liked the motorbike parked on the crossing.:D

Predestrian crossings without lights when l asked, are for you to continue driving through but take care if people are walking across you do not stop.

If lights at crossroad are RED and you want to turn left you can but taking care, some lights in Bangkok no can do.

l believe that the video shows exactly what you should do when approaching this kind of crossing, when there RED take care, no one crossing continue on.

Note that there is not a single pedestrian waiting to cross the street in any of the scenes shown. I guess the vehicles are supposed to stop and wait for some to come by.

The one time there are a couple of pedestrians waiting (about 3:30), the cars do stop at the red to let them walk across. The cares do go on through once they are gone.

TH

That's Pattaya for you. Reckon they should introduce a mandatory IQ check to the supposed driving test... anyone under 120 fails and gets locked up. Wait, that's 99.9999% of the population then. :lol:

Well-known statistical fact: 99% of drivers are above average rolleyes.gif