English Test

Hi All

My Wife has a bachelors degree for English from Ramkhameng University in 2008.Would this be deemed sufficient for the visa or will she still need to take the required test being introduced in November?

Secondly when should the test be completed in relevance to handing your application folder in? Will it take a few weeks to get the result on paper?

I understand it is a new concept but please any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

From New English language requirement for partners

If you have an academic qualification (taught in English) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree, we will accept this as evidence that you can speak and understand English to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. Therefore you will not need to take a test. For details, see the Statement of changes in Immigration Rules - October 2010 (Cm 7944).

If taking an acceptable English language test with one of the UKBA's approved test providers, then evidence it has been passed needs to be included with the visa application.

As far as I can see UK NARIC is indeed the body that will make the decision on whether your wife's degree is acceptable as an alternative to the new test or not. How long that takes is anybody's guess unless someone here has already done it. Their website has a way of contacting them, but how long it will take to get a reply, who knows. If you want to go down this route, check out their website and get the enquiry off as soon as you can.

If you go down the route of taking the test here in Thailand, then again, as far as I know, and from what I have been told, the time between taking the test and getting the certificate to Thailand from UK will be between approx 1 and 2 weeks, depending on which test provider you use.

You can do either of the above but the UK NARIC approval or the test certificate must accompany your wife's application. Without either being in the application bundle, the application will be refused.

Hi, I think there is very limited information available regarding test content, I wonder whether there is any way of finding out whether the applicant actually has sufficient English Capability to pass this test ?, no one wants to cough up more than a hundred quid if they have no prior knowledge about the test content ,,, whether there is a combination of written English and spoken English and at what expectancy is required to make the pass.

Hi, I think there is very limited information available regarding test content, I wonder whether there is any way of finding out whether the applicant actually has sufficient English Capability to pass this test ?, no one wants to cough up more than a hundred quid if they have no prior knowledge about the test content ,,, whether there is a combination of written English and spoken English and at what expectancy is required to make the pass.

Ther is very little information available as the test is very new. Prospective applicants can take a Pre-test to see if their level of English ( listening and speaking ) is sufficient to pass the test. The Pre-test costs 1000 baht, and can be taken in Pattaya or Bangkok. If you check our website www.visas-plus.com and click on the A1 test page, you will find details of the English Test Centre, who are appointed agents to provide the tests in Thailand. If you contact them they will give you details of when and where the Pre-test, and the actual tests, are being held. You can book in advance.