Sisaket Wedding

Hollywood13

I'll be getting married in February and was wondering what I should be expected to pay. My girl wants a big wedding with a whole cow, a whole pig, lots of chicken, and there will be alcohol (of course). I'm guessing they'll be some type of entertainment as well.

My wedding budget is 150k baht...should that cover it? Anyone know what the going rate for a cow is? Anyone want to share what was spent on their Thai wedding?

Anything I should be aware of to make this process easier? My current game plan consists of just going with the flow, smiling a lot, and doing what my girl tells me to do.

150,000 should be plenty and there will be many on this website who will say you are crazy spending so much.

As you know I live close by so my pricings should be of some relevance (we have just corresponded by PM about building houses in this area, though we have not yet met). I too took the 'smile and go with the flow' approach. I can recommend it over the 'screw everything down and get stressed out' approach. So if you have got 150,000 to spend then go for it. You the family and the village will have a great time and I hope we can make it.

As it happens I was an accountant in an earlier incarnation and therefore anal in the extreme when it comes to how much I have spent - not to be confused with being tight I hasten to add.

My total expenditure on our SiSaket (amphur Khantaralak) Issaan wedding in July 2009 together with related activities was 236,689 baht, give or take the odd few baht [seriously how sad is it that I can be that precise]. But that includes 63,150 of Bangkok lawyer fees for a prenuptial (optional probably even for someone with assets to protect) and assistance (worthwhile) with registering the marriage in Bangkok. It also includes 55,000 for the wedding ring (which is probably a bit cheap charlie on reflection, now that I remember I spent £1,000 the first go-around 35 years ago).

So, without those two items, lawyer fees and ring, and without the sin sod the total amount was 118,000 baht. That comprised:

Food and entertainment 83,000

Drinks 26,000

Photographer, Videocameraman and purchase of some studio formal photos 18,000

Flowers for the wedding night formal party 5,000

Wedding document fees (some were for passport) 4,000

Invitation printing for 225 people (150 printed) 2,000

Trueso gifts for formal party guests (+ special ones for family) 3,000

Wedding dress 3,000

Make up and hair for formal studio photo session and on the wedding day 2,500

Reduced by: Wedding money gifted by party and wedding ceremony attendees -28,000

We had a full on party at the house the night before the wedding (celebrating our moving into the house) with food and drink - maybe 100 attended, a formal wedding ceremony morning with food at the house before the wedding and during and after the ceremony - maybe 150 attended - and a formal evening sit down wedding party with paid host/hostess, band and coyotee girls - 225 ish invited / 325 showed up!! We also had a clean up party for maybe 40 the day after and the multitude of cooks got a couple of thou baht as a thank you included in this. We also had extended family staying over a 3-4 day period and their eating and drinking throughout is included also. A couple of uncles were paralytic for the best part of 60 hours.

The actual formal wedding party was relatively cheap (massively cheap compared to falangland). Included in the 83,000 above for 3-4 days of food and entertainment is the wedding party organisers fee of 45,000 for the wedding night party venue (should have been a school playing field but a downpour made it a glorified cowshed), set table-served food and food servers - I think it was baht 1200 baht for a table of 8 - the band and the coyotee girls (2 troupes - I didn't ask for them or know I had hired them, but they were a real sight for sore eyes!). The food (8 courses) was fine but I think a cow and pig in similar circs might have pushed the price up. I'm guessing but I would expect a pig and cow plus serving to cost in the region of 15,000-20,000 baht. You will see however that the formal wedding party was only half of the cost of the total food consumed over a 3-4 day period so if yours is not so stupid as to combine a moving in party with a wedding then you would get savings on my total food bill anyway.

The party organiser did not organsie the alcohol/softies. I did that as my wife said this is an area you need to keep a reign on. My wife was much more parsimonious than I would be - she suggested one bottle of Thai whiskey (Johnnie W - only red - for the top tables) and half a dozen bottles of Archa on each table plus soda/water/softies. I applied my western party giving analysis to alcohol consumption and secretly bought far more than this. Multiples in fact. Given that the event turned into a 3 day marathon I was continuously handing out 1,000 baht notes for someone to go down the local shops. If you go for DIY let me warn you that alcohol and softies on this scale was a serious trucking job from Tesco and the Kantaralak wholesalers. I also made the faux pas of putting the copious quantities of Lao Khao out on the wedding party tables. That is just not done apparently. You bring it out clandestinely for all the serious drinkers when the polite people have departed and the dancing starts!

Also a tip. Keep plenty of cash in your pocket throughout. Wedding party life is one long litany of 'darling Mum/Uncle/(fill in the requisite person) need x,000 baht to get y'

My MIL also paid for some food on top of all this and paid for the 'marching band'. I didn't expect the latter and so I'll leave you to be pleasantly surprised also. I guess she paid another 20,000. So that's 138,000 all up and maybe you would pay a bit more for cow and pig and ... well you can do whatever adjustments you like for numbers and extent of celebration.

I haven't said how much was the sin sod. Enough said :rolleyes:

My abiding impression was that I was far from ripped off. The photography aspect in the UK would have cost 5 to 10 times the amount I spent (a formal studio camera session two weeks in advance including pro hair and makeup, a cameraman for the whole morning wedding ceremony (6 hours) and for the evening party, a videocameraman for the whole morning session and evening party and free copiable CDs of all their work except the formal studio session. A couple of big framed prints and a small album of studio prints also comes in my 18,000 outturn (goodness - now I'm getting flashbacks of an early career in financial reporting). The party organiser charged a tiny nominal amount more for 325 people than the contracted 225 - 'that's ok - we had enough food anyway'. Ancillaries like invites gifts and flowers do not seem to attract the 'captive audience' premium they do in falangland. I negotiated nothing. My wife organised everything and I simply turned up and agreed to what was being asked for with a smile on my face and a 'god that was relatively painless' thought on my mind.

Of course a lot of village freeloaders drank and ate at my expense. So what else is (not) new in the world of weddings worldwide!

I did a family blog of the whole experience which I put on TV somewhere - I'll dig the link out later.

Hahahaha...that sounds fantastic! I think going in blind is going to be quite fun!

Thanks for the breakdown on the numbers...really helps. I'm not sure how many people will be attending, but I'm guessing 200+. Once I find that out, I'll add another 50 people to that count (for the "extras" who decide to pop in) and I'll have a better idea of how much money will be needed. I'm leaning towards just giving my girl the 150k baht, telling her that's the limit, and letting her do whatever needs to be done. Seems like it will be the easiest way to go. As for sin sod, I needn't worry (it will be for "show" and then I'll get it back).

There will be no moving-in party in conjunction with the wedding, since I'm still 1 to 2 years away from my home being completed. I'll basically be showing up and getting married 2 days after I arrive. All my fiance has told me was there will be something or another going on one night, and the wedding will be held the next day. After getting married, we'll be heading off on our honeymoon to I've yet to decide where (possibly down to the islands, although we just got back from a week in Phuket, so perhaps the Golden Triangle area).

The photographer and videographer you had sounds like a good idea. I'll check out the link when you post it. I wouldn't mind having some sort of keepsake like a photo album and/or video to remember the day. I'll probably be wide-eyed in all of the pictures from being surprised from one moment to the next.

You've reminded me of a few things I forgot about...like the wedding ring...duh! :D Guess I can get that when I get to the city though...no sweat (I've obviously already given her an engagement ring).

I'm going to skip out on the 60k+ baht lawyer. I have no assets back in my own country to protect, and won't even be registering the marriage with my embassy until a future trip.

One reason why I'm getting married in late February (or possibly very early March) is because of the heat in July (which is when I'll next be in the LOS after my February/March trip). What was it like for you having your wedding in July? Did you loose a few stone? Did the mosquitos leave you looking like a connect-the-dots game? BTW...you mentioned it rained on your wedding day...that's supposed to be good luck.

Thanks for all the info! I'll update you via PM when a date is set and hopefully you'll be able to make it. I'll have a large bottle of Captain Morgan's Private Stock for us farangs to wet our whistles with...am going all the way to the States first so I can pick up a bottle (can't get it in Thailand, and I refuse to have a wedding party without a bottle of my favorite alcohol ;) ).

Actually, now I remember that the 55,000 baht was for engagement ring and wedding ring together and most of that was for the engagement ring. Anne was happy with the falang (or at least Brit) approach of a simple gold band for the wedding ring.

Now I think again, the documents cost was entirely related to getting married and not to her passport. 3,074 for 'Confirmation of Freedom to Marry' certificate from my embassy, which you will also need. You will need to give your embassy a divorce certificate or death certificate (unless this is first time around for you), they will do a search of their national registers and issue a certificate saying they know no reason why you are not free to marry (or some such). That then needs to be translated to Thai - 300baht - and legalised up in North Bangkok 800 baht. E&OE - may have changed and your US process may be different costs.

There are also Thai marriage registration costs hidden in the lawyer fee - not sure how much they would have been

Edited by SantiSuk

I was unaware I'd need anything from my embassy. I'll go onto their website and see what exactly I need and how much it's going to cost me. I've not been married before, so at least I won't need any additional paperwork. Thanks for that bit of info!

Just for information, here's a link to the sample of the affirmation of freedom to marry from the UK embassy website

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/17070817/exmaple-marry

Reading through it, it seems quite straight forward, although I have one question that some enlightened soul will hopefully be able to answer.

Part of the declaration states ;

e) and I have no dependants from my previous marriage or relationships.

Presumably, if you have children from a previous relationship, you would type;

e) and I have 'x number' dependant(s) from my previous relationship

I can't think it would be mandatory to have no dependants! Is this right?

Cheers,

Biff

I was able to download the required marriage form from the U.S. Embassy website. I've spoken with my girl and she's going to meet me in BKK when I arrive. We'll then go to the embassy, then to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then to the Bangrak Amphur to register the marriage. While we could do that in her village, I think it's going to be easier to do it all at once in Bangkok. It will also give us one night there before flying to Isan the following day.

I had to go to the embassy during my last trip to get pages added to my passport, and it was a painless experience. Of course, I had made an appointment to keep me from waiting in line, and I'll make an appointment to have the marriage form notarized as well.

Official marriage just cost me.

Her birth cert translated for affidavit: 700b.

Affidavit from consulate: 880b.

Affidavit translated to Thai: 700b.

Marriage in the registry office: 40b.

I simply don't believe in all the marrigerial ceremony and spending cash on it. Just not my style. She was told well in advance (about 4 years) that I'll give her 5,000b at xmas to buy a ring, and then 10,000b for her to pay for the small ceremony in her parent's house.

I spend money on things that actually matter, she agrees. Told her when we got together that I'll never marry anyone without being with them for at least 5 years. But she got me, we'll be 6 months short.

Cheers chaps,

Dominic.

Edited by appropriate

BTW, you only have 4 WEEKS to register the marriage once you get the affidavit from your embassy.

We'll register the marriage at the amphur the same day we get the affidavit notarized at the embassy. Or, did you mean I only have 4 weeks to register the marriage back at the embassy so it will be valid in the U.S.?

You mentioned getting her birth certificate translated. I was unaware she'd need that, but thanks for bringing it up.

A big wedding isn't for everyone. I always thought were I to marry, it would either be something quick and easy in Las Vegas or a small ceremony on a beach somewhere. However, the more I read about Thai weddings, the more I'm looking forward to the experience...and the bigger, the better.

We'll register the marriage at the amphur the same day we get the affidavit notarized at the embassy.

Eh?

The affidavit has to be translated into Thai by a certified transaltion agency. This translation has to be taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for them to certify it. THEN you take this certified translation to register the marriage.

Do yourself a favour mate. Contact your embassy about getting the Affidavit. Google 'How to marry in Thailand'.

Dominic T.

Hi, just a quick question if you don't mind :)

Did your embassy require this? Which embassy is it? (ok that's 2 questions :) )

If you'r still in UK you can get translations done and certified at the Thai Consulate in Hull for a "small " fee

Irish consulate in BKK required my:

Passport, original birth cert, proof of income (bank statements for 6 months), and the affidavit which they had templated and emailed to me for me to fill in. This requires your fiance's Thai ID number and registered address, and your work and income.

They need her birth cert, and a translated copy into English, her ID, and I think her blue Tambien Baan book.

And copies of each.

The affidavit has all this information listed on it.

You take this to a translation agency.

The translation and original and your passport copy are then taken to the Ministry Foreign Affairs, they need to certify it. My transaltion agency did this as part of the deal (altogether 700b and 3 days).

You take this certified translation and original, and passport, and her thai ID and Blue house book, with 2 copies of all including your visa page, to a registry office. You fill in a lot of forms, mainly all the info from your affidavit, in Thai, pay 40b, and you're married.

Edited by appropriate

We'll then go to the embassy, then to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then to the Bangrak Amphur to register the marriage.

We'll register the marriage at the amphur the same day we get the affidavit notarized at the embassy.

Eh?

The affidavit has to be translated into Thai by a certified transaltion agency. This translation has to be taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for them to certify it. THEN you take this certified translation to register the marriage.

Do yourself a favour mate. Contact your embassy about getting the Affidavit. Google 'How to marry in Thailand'.

Dominic T.

I quoted part an earlier post of mine for you to read (guessed you missed it). As you can see, we'll go from the U.S. Embassy to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and then to the Bangrak Amphur (you can register the marriage at any Amphur). There are translation services available on the first floor at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

When I go to my embassy, I'll make an appointment in the morning so it won't take long and I can have everything done in 1 day.

As for the copy of my girl's birth certificate, I've read over all the info on my embassy's website and didn't see anything about a birth certificate mentioned. About the closest thing to it was mentioning if the girl is under the age of 20, she'll have to have her parents' written consent to marry (if I recall correctly though, it's the Amphur that requires this, not the embassy). I'll tell her to bring her birth certificate though, just in case.

Seems like the Irish Embassy requires you to jump through quite a few hoops (bank info, original birth certificate, etc). The U.S. Embassy, for once, has made things quite simple.

Edited by Shivers

Yes - there is something not quite right with Appropriate's info posted above.

For the avoidance of doubt, for purposes of getting married in Thailand to a Thai national (Shiver's circumstances) a foreign embassy does not 'require' anything (maybe they want something if you want to register the marriage in your home country, but that is not essential if your home country recognises a Thai marriage certificate as valid - which most countries do I believe).

I suspect Appropriate may be confusing us with requirements to marry a Thai in one's home country? Or maybe even with some other process - sounds more like a Visa application to me! I have sympathies - we falang jump through so many different documentation hoops sometimes it is difficult to remember what was for what.

The Thai Amphur marriage registrar requires to know that this foreigner presenting him/herself is 'free to marry' the Thai national. They therefore require a confirmation from the foreign national's embassy that effectively says you are not already married.

I don't cover any of the other requirements the registrar might have in my postings above. I don't know what those are as I was lazy and let my American/Thai law firm sort that out.

Hi, just a quick question if you don't mind :)

Did your embassy require this? Which embassy is it? (ok that's 2 questions :) )

If you'r still in UK you can get translations done and certified at the Thai Consulate in Hull for a "small " fee

Thanks, but the UK embassy document (affirmation of freedom to marry) can, they say, only be obtained in Thailand, everything else is already in Thai (g/f is Thai)

So it looks to me as if I'll be in Bangkok when I need the translations done, but good to know for any other stuff in the future :)

I see from another post that there are translation services in the MFA building so I reckon all I need is my UK embassy document and some (more) baht.

I know the time-scale at the UK embassy, they say if you turn up before 11am you can pick it up in the afternoon. Does anyone know the MFA time-scale from turning up with embassy letter, translation to receiving certified copy in Thai?

Sorry for hijacking OP but I think it's related :)

Someone (on another forum) who just had all this done 2 months ago said he was quoted 900 baht and a 2 hour wait to get the documents translated at the MoFA. However, he said there was a freelancer there doing it for 300 baht per page and a 45 minute wait, so he went that route. After getting the documents translated, he was done with that building in 2 hours 45 minutes.

Edited by Shivers

The need for her translated Birth Cert:

Dear Mr. ***************

Thank you for the amended Affidavit. If your fiancé doesn't have a passport, then she must submit original of her birth certificate with English translation. List of required documents as follow :

- your original affidavit

- your original long form birth certificate + photocopy

- your original passport + photocopy

- your fiancé's original Birth certificate with English translation + photocopy

- an original updated 6 months bank statement + photocopy

- fee of 880 Baht

Please let us know the date you wish to make appointment once you have your birth certificate, so we can arrange for it.

Kind Regards,

Sarinya

Consulate of Ireland, Bangkok

Phone: + 66 2 677 7500

Facsimile: + 66 2 677 7501

Edited by appropriate

A

copy of the affidavit transcript:

AFFIDAVIT

PLEASE TYPE OUT THIS DOCUMENT IN TYPEWRITTEN FORM

I, ……………….(full name)……………..holder of Irish Passport No. ……………….. issued at ………. on ……………… and valid until ………………… make oath and declare as follows: -

I am an Irish citizen and I was born on ……………. in ……………….. My father's name is ……………………… and my mother's name is ……………………………..

I am not bound by the ties of a lawful marriage under the laws of Ireland and I am free to contract a valid marriage with ……………………………… (name and details of person) according to Thai law.

I am single and have not previously been married / I am widowed / divorced. (*)

(please attach appropriate certificates - originals only)

I have no dependents from my previous marriage(s). (*)

I support ……………. children from my previous marriage(s). (*)

My occupation is ………………………. and I have an income of ………. per month as proof of which I attach an employer's letter / bank statement (for Thai Authorities only and please choose only one proof)

I propose the following people for reference purposes if it is necessary to verify the above details:

1. Name ………………………………………………….

Address ……………………………………………….

2. Name ………………………………………………….

Address ……………………………………………….

(It is usually preferable that these people should be Irish citizens and live in the same country as the signatory. Parents may be given as referees.)

My permanent address in Ireland / other country is ………………………………. (*)

Sworn before me at the Irish Consulate in Bangkok in

Thailand this ……… day of ……………………… 2009.

Gary Biesty

Honorary Consul

(*) Delete as appropriate

If you were getting married in Thailand and not registering your marriage with the Irish authorities, then I was wrong - please accept my apologies. Clearly the Irish Consulate does require details about your proposed wife when you submit your affidavit before your Embassy/Consulate will write the freedom to marry certificate.

Seems counter-intuitive that they would need it (which led me to make the comment I did) and the Brits do not need to provide the same. We do need to make the affadavit, similar or identical to the one you produce above and obviously we do need to produce the wife's passport or birth certificate to the Thai registrar, but we do not need to produce them to our own embassy in order to get a freedom to marry certificate.

You were right to point out the possibility to Shivers, so sorry to put you through the inconvenience of proving your case!

I had my Thai wedding last February in Roi-Et province. My wedding included all with a Buddhist "Thambun" in the morning, The engaging and marriage ceremony after. In the evening we had a big party in a hotel in Yasothon.

I cannot clearly identify the cost of the morning, but about the party in the evening. This party cost me THB 150'000 - but included was:

• Renting the room and the service
  • Decoration
  • Food and alcohol for 350 guests
  • A show with Thai dancers, karaoke etc.
  • A big 7-stage wedding tart

Pictures of the whole wedding are here: http://picasaweb.goo...tJurgOo2122010#

You can also expect some money from the guest. During the whole day, we collected some THB 170'000! This paid me the evening party - but not all the other "wedding stuff" of course...whistling.gif

Edited by juehoe

I had my Thai wedding last February in Roi-Et province. My wedding included all with a Buddhist "Thambun" in the morning, The engaging and marriage ceremony after. In the evening we had a big party in a hotel in Yasothon.

I cannot clearly identify the cost of the morning, but about the party in the evening. This party cost me THB 150'000 - but included was:

• Renting the room and the service
  • Decoration
  • Food and alcohol for 350 guests
  • A show with Thai dancers, karaoke etc.
  • A big 7-stage wedding tart

Pictures of the whole wedding are here: http://picasaweb.goo...tJurgOo2122010#

You can also expect some money from the guest. During the whole day, we collected some THB 170'000! This paid me the evening party - but not all the other "wedding stuff" of course...whistling.gif

Thanks for posting that link...I'll take a look at the pictures.

I found out today there will be about 300 people at our wedding...should be a good party. :D

Pretty cool you made enough off the guests to pay for the wedding...somehow I don't think I'll be that fortunate. But, I've always looked at marriage as a one-time thing, so I don't mind the expense. Besides, it's still way cheaper than marrying in the States.