Viktor Bout's Extradition Might Affect Thailand’s Ties With Russia

webfact

I know the truth hurt, but wait there are actually some brits that Thais Embraced, "Cliff Richard & The Shadows.........Are you happy now? ;)

I have it on good authority that Thais regularly embrace British and French nationals. One need only look at the photographic evidence of Thais locked in passionate embraces in Pattaya to see the evidence of such strong love. :ph34r:

I know the truth hurt, but wait there are actually some brits that Thais Embraced, "Cliff Richard & The Shadows.........Are you happy now? ;)

I have it on good authority that Thais regularly embrace British and French nationals. One need only look at the photographic evidence of Thais locked in passionate embraces in Pattaya to see the evidence of such strong love. :ph34r:

Thank you geriatrickid, you've opened my eyes, hallelujah

The extradition based upon the first case was approved. The second cases were dropped. Bout's attny's attempted to keep the second cases in place to delay extradition. Sorry, the law doesn't work that way. The defendant doesn't get to choose how the state spends money in trials (for example by forcing the state to keep the second set of chares in place!) A court ruling was not REQUIRED on the second set of charges. It was sought by the defense team, but the state had no obligation to keep those charges in place.

This isn't even a blip on the international political radar between Thailand and Russia.

I don't want to come across as any stranger than I am but I have also embraced the British and French in Pattaya after spending years in the hinterland and finally getting a magnificent English breakfast and a wonderful French dinner at a couple of local Pattaya restaurants.

You can get good sex anywhere in Thailand but food, wonderful food and within my limited budget, thank heaven for the Brits and French in Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

cablelleaks concerning the Bout case dropping now

http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/cable/2009/02/09BANGKOK385.html

http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/cable/2009/08/09BANGKOK1998.html

Thats little bit interesting, at first the Thai court ruled against the extradition, based on the argument that they don't consider FARC as terrorists. Now the embassy thinks about to get help from other countries to get Bout. Countries like Colombia, they don't seemed to have contacted before.

They want jail Bout for an alleged weapon deal with Colombian terrorist, but don't stay in contact with the Colombian authorities yet, nor do they know what the Colombian authorities considers the FARC as terrorist and would be interessted i the case at all. Nor do they seems to have a clue about real deals Bout did there somewhere in Africa. Just wishy-washy reflection to call maybe someone in Congo.

BANGKOK 00001998 004 OF 004

the implications of the Bout verdict. We suggest inquiring whether Colombia considers the FARC to be a terrorist organization, whether it would be willing to submit a brief in the appeals process, and also make public statements to that effect. We also suggest exploring whether Colombia would be willing to ask Thailand for Bout’s extradition while he (hopefully) is still in detention during the appeals process. (Note: There is no Colombian Embassy in Bangkok; the Embassy in Kuala Lumpur covers Thailand. We understand the Thais cover Colombia from their Embassy in Lima. End note.) It would be useful if the Government of Colombia also raised its concerns in Moscow. -- We also suggest exploring the possibility of whether governments whose citizens have borne the bloody results of Bout’s activities over the years, such as Sierra Leone, Liberia and Congo, would be willing to publicly express dismay/engage the Thai government on the verdict and whether any affected government would be willing to ask for his extradition. -- While the Bout focus is now on Thailand, this is at heart a U.S.-Russian matter. The Department may wish to make clear to Moscow our concerns on Bout’s activities and seek assurances that they will cease. Also, we should consider asking the Russians to prosecute Bout if, in the end, he walks here in Thailand. At the very least perhaps we could force the Russians to publicly refuse to do so. -- The Thai ruling seems inconsistent with several United Nations determinations on Bout’s nature over the years (see below). We suggest our USUN call in the Thai Permrep and lay out how we view the issues in terms of Thailand’s standing with the United Nations. Better yet would be for the appropriate UN official to call in the Thai Permrep and seek an explanation of how the verdict can be justified in light of Thailand’s support of relevant UN resolutions: - UNSCR 1521 (2003) - Liberia - UNSCR 1343 (March 2001) - Liberia - Report of Experts Panel under 1343 - Final Monitoring Report on Angola Sanctions (2000)

-- Finally, despite the listing by the US and EU of the FARC as a terrorist organization, we understand that the FARC is not listed as such by the UN. A move to have the FARC listed formally by the UN would assist the effort to keep Bout in custody. JOHN

Interesting stuff. How about this:

Lately, however, there have been disturbing indications that Bout’s xxxxxxxxxx and Russian supporters have been using money and influence in an attempt to block extradition. The most egregious example was the false testimony of xxxxxxxxxx that Bout was in Thailand as part of government-to-government submarine deal. Thus, we felt it was time to once again raise the matter at the top of the government and make clear that, while we understand the judicial process must take its course without political interference, we insist that the process be free of corruption and undue influence.

Politics...a never ending game...